OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
1. No tatty's yet, but I am considering getting one.
2. Fall. I hate winter. Everything is dormant, grey and slushy.
3. Yes I have a garden. Tomtatos, Cucumber, Peppers, Lettuce, Radishes and a bunch of herbs in pots on the back deck.
4. Love, Love, LOVE to fish. Freshwater, Saltwater, Fly fishing, paddle board fishing, beach fishing. I only keep what I eat. These two guys below, got released....
5. I don't believe in ghosts and haunted houses, so I guess I'd say Yes.

BTW, dig crudité. All the nutritional value of vegetables with a proper dip (Ceaser salad dressing, for example).

I enjoy corn on the cob and roasted asparagus or green beans, but not a fan of cooked vegetables. Largely due to taste, but also, many of those nutrients disappear with cooking.

Get the bagged variety but try a bunch of fresh radishes. Rinse, pare and salt to taste. Fab.

Yep. Even when fresh, you eventually get a bad one. Just like whole belly clams.

I've actually never had a bad one. Never had food poisoning.

Caveat emptor.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Now I'm feeling scallops. I always way overeat on them though. They look so small, and feel so light and innocent going down, but are deceptively filling and sit like a brick. Most cases it's still worth the stomach ache.

"Always leave the table a bit hungry."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
So excited for tonight havent done anything fun in a long time

I believe I mentioned this previously.

When I was a kid in the 70s, it was Dick The Bruiser. Prior, it was Gorgeous George.

Back then, some actually believed wrestling was real.

Fast forward to today. All of the 90s kids I work with -- and for -- love "professional" wrestling. They think it's hilarious.

"To each his own, Number One."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
1. Nope, and never will

2. Fall is the best, crisp cool weather, dark nights, baseball playoffs, foliage. The sights, smells, sensations, I love it. Summer is the worst by far. I hate summer, heat, humidity, bugs, ugh.

3. I love gardening. I just moved so I havent set up the new garden yet but plan to do a 4x4 raised bed and try square foot gardening with herbs, tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce to start out with. There is a wild cherry tomato bush growing on the side of the house that the previous owner left that's super productive (I think theyre sungolds but not sure). At the old house I had roma tomatoes, Black Krim tomatoes, rocoto pepper, mint, basil. I also planted an apricot tree that gave me a couple small fruits this year. New house has an apple tree that's producing buds now. I have a hydroponic kit to start seedlings in, then transfer them to soil. Looking forward to setting up the new garden.

4. I went with my grandfather a few times when I was younger. Enjoyed the time with him but can't say I liked the act of fishing. I don't eat seafood and am not big on killing things unnecessarily so it's not really for me.

5. Sure, I don't care at all. Ghost story bullshit doesn't affect how I'd live my life.

What, no weed?

PS My brother Bob -- a father of two who just celebrated his 30th wedding anniversary and teaches architecture at the Glasgow College of Art -- was an enterprising lad.

He dealt pot -- remember rag weed dime and nickel bags? -- and at some point decided to grow

1720811628791.png

in our back yard. My mother, who would not be amused, never caught on.

I, on the other hand, would crisp the little devils in the toaster oven and spark up.

Those were the days.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Do you have fans running? That might not be helping the dry eyes situation.
Only in the living room since the sun is now on my side of the building. The AC is set anywhere between 68-70 and according to the themometer/humidity guages I have in each room, humidity is at 47%.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
What, no weed?

PS My brother Bob -- a father of two who just celebrated his 30th wedding anniversary and teaches architecture at the Glasgow College of Art -- was an enterprising lad.

He dealt pot -- remember rag weed dime and nickel bags? -- and at some point decided to grow

View attachment 894493

in our back yard. My mother, who would not be amused, never caught on.

I, on the other hand, would crisp the little devils in the toaster oven and spark up.

Those were the days.

Even though I grew up in the suburbs, my house, the one next door, and the one behind it each had an acre of land (my parents had 7 unruly kids, so they needed the space). The hippies who bought the old farmhouse out back had about 1/4 acre of their land dedicated to the wacky stuff, you could see the plants over our back yard fence. My dad knew exactly what it was, my mom had no clue.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Get the bagged variety but try a bunch of fresh radishes. Rinse, pare and salt to taste. Fab.
Radishes aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I love them in the summer. I trim and wash them, and store them in a container of salt-water (heavy on the salt) in the fridge. They're great in salads, or crudite platters, or straight from the bowl.

I used to have a ton of raspberries in my backyard as well, but now the rabbits annihilate them before they can get too big. I used to have an inside/outside cat who kept the rabbit population in check in the back yard. But since she died, the rabbits have gotten bolder and bolder and my raspberries haven't stood a chance.

I used to get quarts and quarts of raspberries, starting right around this time of year.....I miss that.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Even though I grew up in the suburbs, my house, the one next door, and the one behind it each had an acre of land (my parents had 7 unruly kids, so they needed the space). The hippies who bought the old farmhouse out back had about 1/4 acre of their land dedicated to the wacky stuff, you could see the plants over our back yard fence. My dad knew exactly what it was, my mom had no clue.

Did you avail yourself of the opportunity?

I used to nick a bit here and there from the ounce bags Bob kept hidden.

I guess I'll never run for office.

PS We had eight unruly kids.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
….and speaking of bold rabbits. I now have a mother and 4 new kits living in a flower pot behind my rocking chair on the back deck. There might be more kits, but we’re not sure. She just hopped right in and tunneled herself a nice burrow in the middle of the pot...

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: BMC and sooshii

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Radishes aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I love them in the summer. I trim and wash them, and store them in a container of salt-water (heavy on the salt) in the fridge. They're great in salads, or crudite platters, or straight from the bowl.

I used to have a ton of raspberries in my backyard as well, but now the rabbits annihilate them before they can get too big. I used to have an inside/outside cat who kept the rabbit population in check in the back yard. But since she died, the rabbits have gotten bolder and bolder and my raspberries haven't stood a chance.

I used to get quarts and quarts of raspberries, starting right around this time of year.....I miss that.

I love fresh radishes. I also love "raw" tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I don't mind stewed tomatoes, but dislike the cooked version of the other three. I love salad. I can eat salad the same way I can eat French fries.

Don't care for sweets.

It's savory umami for me. Spice, too, though not heat for heat's sake.

Age dictates that some of the stuff I enjoyed in younger years can be, ah, problematic these days.

Careful, Icarus.

• Haha
Reactions: caz16

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I like radishes . I wash them and eat them!

Growing up we had many raspberries. Some we picked all summer, but another kind (bigger) grew early Fall. We had many blueberries too.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Nice, then definitely check out the Oyster Company.

I am a big fan to the Skipper in South Yarmouth. Its walking distance for us which is a plus but they have great all around food, including the best fish taco.

Never had a fish taco but I'd like to try one.

I recall when they first became popular. Unsurprisingly, I believe the trend started in California. Probably LA.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love fresh radishes. I also love "raw" tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I don't mind stewed tomatoes, but dislike the cooked version of the other three. I love salad. I can eat salad the same way I can eat French fries.

Don't care for sweets.

It's savory umami for me. Spice, too, though not heat for heat's sake.

Age dictates that some of the stuff I enjoyed in younger years can be, ah, problematic these days.

Careful, Icarus.
I love salad and am benefiting from my daughter's passion for gardening right now. We can't eat it fast enough!

Spice is something I have never been able to tolerate. I had ONE salt and pepper chip that was out as a sample at a store....I thought I was going to die. Hubby went to pick up beer at the next store over and I sat in the car spitting constantly...this is not something I ever do. I can't imagine what would happen if I ever got an actual piece of hot pepper by mistake. Must be the Brit in me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad