Are you excited about this team?

• Yes

• No

• I'm too medicated to feel

Results are only viewable after voting.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Unfortunately, the sports networks integrated gambling into their entire platform so deeply (and quickly), all for the revenue of course, they are inseparable now.

Sadly as a fan regardless of whether you're watching, listening or even reading about a game the next day you can't avoid it. And that's what these corporate media parasites want, just smothering fans with it.

It's disgusting but it's not going anywhere until people stop sports gambling, and obviously that's never happening no matter how often it's said: If you bet, you are going to lose, period.
I had to have a convo with my son last week, he has seen all these ads and it makes it seem so easy. I had to explain that even a successful professional better maxes out at say 52 percent win ratio, the rest lose and lose big, the system is gamed. He just turned 20, lacks the sophistication to understand the deck is stacked. Luckily, after I explained it, he gets it now, but man these kids are bombarded with this garbage, I worry for many of them. A little wager here and there, but that’s not what these sites are set up for, they want their hooks in you and it becomes an addiction.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I had to have a convo with my son last week, he has seen all these ads and it makes it seem so easy. I had to explain that even a successful professional better maxes out at say 52 percent win ratio, the rest lose and lose big, the system is gamed. He just turned 20, lacks the sophistication to understand the deck is stacked. Luckily, after I explained it, he gets it now, but man these kids are bombarded with this garbage, I worry for many of them. A little wager here and there, but that’s not what these sites are set up for, they want their hooks in you and it becomes an addiction.
And it is an addiction. A really, really powerful addiction. It's not hyperbole to compare gambling to any drug or alcohol. It's the same addiction. Like anything else, some people will be able to control themselves, but many will not, and the societal consequences of the people who fall to gambling addiction are just as bad as any drug addiction. To be honest, they are probably worse because my guess is that many of the gambling addicts, unlike drug addicts, have spouses and kids. Years from now people are going to look back at this period and be shocked that sports gambling was glorified in the way that it is now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
And it is an addiction. A really, really powerful addiction. It's not hyperbole to compare gambling to any drug or alcohol. It's the same addiction. Like anything else, some people will be able to control themselves, but many will not, and the societal consequences of the people who fall to gambling addiction are just as bad as any drug addiction. To be honest, they are probably worse because my guess is that many of the gambling addicts, unlike drug addicts, have spouses and kids. Years from now people are going to look back at this period and be shocked that sports gambling was glorified in the way that it is now.

Unfortunately most drug addicts I know have/had spouses and kids

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

Not only is gambling personally harmful, it dilutes the integrity of the game. I personally find those commercials (especially the ones that include Gretzky) to be in both bad taste and cringe worthy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not only is gambling personally harmful, it dilutes the integrity of the game. I personally find those commercials (especially the ones that include Gretzky) to be in both bad taste and cringe worthy.
Agreed. I lost a lot of respect for 99 when I saw him in some pukeworthy gambling commercial. It's not even a matter of bad taste, it's a matter of valuing money more than integrity and when you have so much money already, there is simply no excuse for that in my book.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Agreed. I lost a lot of respect for 99 when I saw him in some pukeworthy gambling commercial. It's not even a matter of bad taste, it's a matter of valuing money more than integrity and when you have so much money already, there

How could you ever have any respect for him after 93? lol. My brother and I still hate him to this day.
What bothers me most about Gretzky's involvement in those commercials is just how blatantly blasphemous they are considering his wife and his buddy's Rick Tocchet part in Operation Slapshot or whatever it was called.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How could you ever have any respect for him after 93? lol. My brother and I still hate him to this day.
What bothers me most about Gretzky's involvement in those commercials is just how blatantly blasphemous they are considering his wife and his buddy's Rick Tocchet part in Operation Slapshot or whatever it was called.
Never mind Gretzky, but why is Connor McDavid doing gambling ads???? It's embarrassing for the sport.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you're a fan (short for fanatic), you want your team to win.

You may think they are good enough to win, or not good enough; you may think player A should be traded/dumped/moved down a line/pairing, or player B should be acquired/promoted/given more ice time; you may have positive or negative opinions of owners/GMs/coaches/trainers/scouts; you may think you can do a better job than any of them. (You may be right.)

But you want to watch your team, and you want them to win every game, even when you know they won't.

I've been a fan of the Leafs for over 60 years, and I'm not quitting now.

I know there's a good chance they won't win the Cup this year, and I will definitely stop watching their games and expecting them to win the next one as soon as they are eliminated, and not a moment before.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I'm not particularly excited about their chances of winning the Cup, but I'm excited about watching them try.
That skirmish with Bertuzzi where everyone jumped in gives me hope. Also everyone talks about our defence I’m still not sure about our Goaltending.

If you're a fan (short for fanatic), you want your team to win.

You may think they are good enough to win, or not good enough; you may think player A should be traded/dumped/moved down a line/pairing, or player B should be acquired/promoted/given more ice time; you may have positive or negative opinions of owners/GMs/coaches/trainers/scouts; you may think you can do a better job than any of them. (You may be right.)

But you want to watch your team, and you want them to win every game, even when you know they won't.

I've been a fan of the Leafs for over 60 years, and I'm not quitting now.

I know there's a good chance they won't win the Cup this year, and I will definitely stop watching their games and expecting them to win the next one as soon as they are eliminated, and not a moment before.
We 60+ year olds are the epitome of patience. Today these posters can’t go a game without freaking out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not particularly excited about their chances of winning the Cup, but I'm excited about watching them try.
That's a good way of putting it, that's exactly how I feel. Hockey's always fun to watch, and more fun when you have a good team which we do. Hard to take this teams cup chances too seriously so probably best to try not to think about that.

That skirmish with Bertuzzi where everyone jumped in gives me hope. Also everyone talks about our defence I’m still not sure about our Goaltending.
IMO the defence and goaltending aer both big question marks at this point.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad