Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It'd be interesting to see what Pominville and Vanek could do together if reunited. They always had great chemistry in Buffalo, yet they haven't been tried on the same line yet here.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It'd be interesting to see what Pominville and Vanek could do together if reunited. They always had great chemistry in Buffalo, yet they haven't been tried on the same line yet here.

I wouldn't hate it. Vanek-Granlund-Pominville with like 75% O zone starts. All the ozone starts in the world, keep them as far away from Dubnyk as possible.

Than you can fire up Parise-Koivu-Nino/Zucker with all sorts of d zone starts, and they will still drive possession like the beasts they are, and still come up with 55% GF.

Finishing with a 3rd line of Zucker/Nino-Coyle-Fontaine which should be a solid line with relatively neutral starts.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Not sure I understand your point, either. You're saying our guys are all playing like individuals in the offensive zone? Seems odd, since one of the main complaints from fans is that our team passes too often when there's a scoring chance, and most of our offensive zone play is on the cycle, where you are grinding it out on the boards and relying on your teammates help. None of this screams "by themselves and for themselves" to me. If anything, most of our fans feel we need an offensive threat that is more greedy to make things happen.

Anyway, Hodgson didn't get signed by us either because he didn't want to come here, or because the Wild realized that he is on a terrible trend of regression. I get that he had two good seasons in a row a couple years ago. Last year he was terrible. He was worse than most players on the worst roster in the league.

But like I said, there are multiple possible reasons for him not signing here, and not all of them are up to the Wild.

1. you said Cody sucks
2. I said his numbers playing with talent are as good or better than out #1 centers numbers playing with talent.
3. You said Cody's numbers playing without talent, on the worst team in the league ,and hurt over the past season and a half proved he sucked???
4. I said in what world would that be true
5. You said he would not come anyway
6. I say all they had to do was to have Pom and Vanek call him.

If you watch the Wild play it is hard not to notice that in the offensive zone there are not a lot of guys with vision, passing and play making skill sets not to mention hockey sense. Pom, Zucker, Vanek, Suter , maybe? That's about it. Just watch the pp to confirm the talent level.

Last edited:

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I wouldn't hate it. Vanek-Granlund-Pominville with like 75% O zone starts. All the ozone starts in the world, keep them as far away from Dubnyk as possible.

Than you can fire up Parise-Koivu-Nino/Zucker with all sorts of d zone starts, and they will still drive possession like the beasts they are, and still come up with 55% GF.

Finishing with a 3rd line of Zucker/Nino-Coyle-Fontaine which should be a solid line with relatively neutral starts.

V-G-P... Parise veto

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
1. you said Cody sucks
2. I said his numbers playing with talent are as good or better than out #1 centers numbers playing with talent.
3. Both are young 25 and 23 respectively
4. You said Cody's numbers playing without talent, on the worst team in the league ,and hurt over the past season and a half proved he sucked???
5. If you watch the Wild play, especially in the playoffs, it is hard not to notice that in the offensive zone there are not a lot of guys with vision, passing and play making skill sets not to mention hockey sense. Pom, Zucker, Vanek, Suter , maybe? That's about it. Just watch the pp to confirm the talent level.
6. All they had to do was to have Pom and Vanek call him.

1. Better look back, I never said Cody sucks. That was another guy. I merely said that last season he regressed in a major way.
2. True. But that was also a couple seasons ago. Not sure why you're trying to argue that when I already agreed anyway.
3. Who are? Hodgson and Granlund? Anyway, not arguing both are young, but now that you bring it up, Hodgson is getting to that age that scorers typically reach their prime at. Not exactly a prospect by hockey standards anymore, and after last season, as a neutral observer I find myself wondering if he has any more upside. I'm finding myself doubting it. I think he's peaked. It's all opinion because he has a lot that he needs to prove after last season.
4. Not just his numbers, but also his overall game were far worse than almost every center on the Sabres last year (not to mention wingers). None of them were playing with talent, either. That's serious regression. Hopefully for him it's something he can bounce back from. He was worse than any of the Wild centers last season, except maybe Haula... actually no, I'd take Haula over Hodgson today because of his PK skill. That could obviously change depending on what both players do this season.
5. Ok, I agree. Like I said, most Wild fans feel we need a more talented offensive-threat player, especially down the middle. You argued that they don't play as a team in the offensive zone. Those are two different things. You seem to be making two separate arguments interchangeably.
6. Are you Cody Hodgson? :sarcasm: I'm not sure how you can state that as fact.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1. you said Cody sucks
3. You said Cody's numbers playing without talent, on the worst team in the league ,and hurt over the past season and a half proved he sucked???
4. I said in what world would that be true
5. You said he would not come anyway
6. I say all they had to do was to have Pom and Vanek call him.

If you watch the Wild play it is hard not to notice that in the offensive zone there are not a lot of guys with vision, passing and play making skill sets not to mention hockey sense. Pom, Zucker, Vanek, Suter , maybe? That's about it. Just watch the pp to confirm the talent level.

Zucker?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Russo is watching some of the guys at the Octagon hockey practices and says that Vanek looks like a much different guy...little bit more lightweight, moving around the ice pretty good.

Obviously who knows what that means (I remember one season hearing about how Heatley was looking better) but it's still relatively good to hear. I think he's going to rebound nicely without the distractions.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Russo is watching some of the guys at the Octagon hockey practices and says that Vanek looks like a much different guy...little bit more lightweight, moving around the ice pretty good.

Obviously who knows what that means (I remember one season hearing about how Heatley was looking better) but it's still relatively good to hear. I think he's going to rebound nicely without the distractions.

Blah blah blah..... That's what they said about Heatley two years in a row. *bangingheadonwallemoji*

Edit: jumped the gun a little and didn't read the second paragraph. :sarcasm:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Ha, I know - we definitely have to take it with a big grain of salt. But who knows, maybe he'll be in better shape and won't look like he's skating in mud.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The difference is that last year Vanek showed he could still play at a pretty high level. When we heard that Heatley looked better in the offseason he was already pretty much all but done.

I think Vanek could definitely reach 60 this year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The difference is that last year Vanek showed he could still play at a pretty high level. When we heard that Heatley looked better in the offseason he was already pretty much all but done.

I think Vanek could definitely reach 60 this year.
60 goals? :D

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Zucker would already be sipping an after-game beer in a local bar before K and V could reach the attack zone. He's that fast.

Or they're that slow.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
did vanek play with koivu a lot last year or coyle, at center?
V-K-Z line?

He started with Koivu, and they were terrible together. Their time together is reason for their mediocre season numbers. When they were apart, they both scored near their career norms.

But together, they were awful. Their play styles are oil and water. Just don't mix.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Zucker would already be sipping an after-game beer in a local bar before K and V could reach the attack zone. He's that fast.

Or they're that slow.

Suppose it's a combination of Z being a speedster and K-V being the slowest two guys on the team.

I think that shouldn't be a line, but Zucker and Koivu were quite good together last season. It's Vanek that doesn't fit that line.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
But didn't Koivu and Zucker also have some good moments? Maybe it's just that three of them can't be together..

Or do I remember wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad