Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Years of overuse and abuse in meaningless games by one of the worst coaches of all time has turned Chabot into such a mediocre dman.

Dude was amazing and now can't defend, can't pass, and can't shoot. Hopefully, under a new coach, he can turn this around, but if he can't even manage to be a premier offensive dman, I would have rather kept Chychrun (at a lower price) to play with a D-first guy.
I would imagine that it would be difficult to get rid of his contract for any value the way he's played in recent years unfortunately.

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
If we have losing record first 10 games , remove the *A* from this guy give it to Sandy or Stu. The guy have showed no progression for years and is supposed to be in his prime . Sanderson looks elite cause this guy really suck .If u get passed on directly by a rookie as the number 1 defenseman on nhl team it says a lot of the quality of your play. If chabot was a great offensive D like the top guys in the league it would help greatly this team but he just suck at every thing now . His not even using his skating properly now. Let him play season but look for a trade partner time to change things if shit goes wronf his the first to go.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
In Chabot's draft year, his NHL compatible was Jay Bouwmeester. And so far, it's spot on. Both the positives and the negatives.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I would imagine that it would be difficult to get rid of his contract for any value the way he's played in recent years unfortunately.
I think a lot of people could consider his shit play just a product of DJs coaching, the whole team was bad. If he's still shit after this year, there's no saving his value.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
According to Puckpedia Chabot has a 10 team no trade list. His cap hit is 8 million for 4 more years.
He is making a base salary of 10 million for the next 3 years.

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
The biggest issue with his mistakes is that they are routinely consistent on a nightly basis for a while now. I will try to be optimistic and call it early season rust. We need him to be good if we're going to go anywhere with him on the roster, it's that simple.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
2wqp4qz7hgud1.jpeg

He needs to be better

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thomas Chabot's play is on Thomas Chabot.

He was paid big bucks. He played big minutes. And he simply hasn't been able to live up to his AAV.

Over the last 5 years combined, he's 4th in toi per game. However, of the top 10 guys, he's played the 3rd least games. And that's only regular season. A lot of those guys also have significant playoff mileage on their bodies

Imo, there was a lot of hate on DJ and things blamed on him. We're two games in. Chabot looks like his usual self - which is a guy that's not strong enough and not intense enough

Reactions: BigRig4 and senswon

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Chabot (and to a lesser degree Colin White) turned one solid year into a massive payday because Dorion needed a "win" to show the fans that not every player was going to leave Ottawa like Karlsson and Stone had. Decent player but has never come even close to playing up to that contract.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Chabot (and to a lesser degree Colin White) turned one solid year into a massive payday because Dorion needed a "win" to show the fans that not every player was going to leave Ottawa like Karlsson and Stone had. Decent player but has never come even close to playing up to that contract.
I actually don’t take issue with this signing. It hasn’t worked out - but at the time Chabot was coming off his best season (55 points in ~75 games as a 22 year old) and looked like he was only scratching the surface. He’s just completely mailed it in since the payday. In hindsight I’d love a do-over, but at the time the logic was sound I think.

Reactions: Loach

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Chabot wasn't great last night but Jensen was downright terrible.

The 2nd Montreal goal: Jensen rotates off his side of the ice to go to the backpost area, swapping D spots on the ice with where Chabot should be, leaving Chabot no time to rotate over while Caufield is already releasing his shot.

The 3rd Montreal goal: Jensen didn't clear the zone when he had the puck, which led to the running around and then Newhook walking in from the blueline and sniping.

The 4th Montreal goal: Chabot backtracking on Suzuki, diving to make a last ditch effort at the puck. Jensen skates hard to get back and then makes the rookie mistake of skating past the net. The trailer comes in and pops the puck into the net.

Yes, Chabot carries some blame but there was some f***ing mystifying decision-making on Jensen's part last night.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I actually don’t take issue with this signing. It hasn’t worked out - but at the time Chabot was coming off his best season (55 points in ~75 games as a 22 year old) and looked like he was only scratching the surface. He’s just completely mailed it in since the payday. In hindsight I’d love a do-over, but at the time the logic was sound I think.
Yep. Its like there’s 2 different Chabots. The first is the guy in his early years that played well and had a promising future, and the second Chabot is the one we’ve seen in recent years. At the time he got his $8 m/year contract, it didn’t look like a bad move. Time changes things.

Reactions: BigRig4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad