THN Writer's Poll votes Darnell Nurse the most overpaid player

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

img_7176-jpeg.915172

I know Oiler fans defended him for a while after the contract 'Only over paid by x' but it seems like that is no longer the narrative even amongst them. His play seemingly gone off a cliff.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Only thing you can say in his defense is that the best partner he's had in his career has probably been... Cody Ceci? But yes at that cap hit he should be able to carry a 2nd pairing and he hasn't even been able to do that. Basically his only NHL attribute was his skating and that hasn't been as good since a hip injury a few years ago.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Yeah he's been absolutely horrendous. Not sure what happened, but any edge he had disappeared.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Edmonton also has arguably the best value contract in the NHL (not including rookies ofc) in Hyman. Together with Darnell it's basically market value for both (contracts should probably switch).

• Haha
Reactions: RCGP2

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Some of these seem like bias votes. At what point does 52 points in 68 games make you think most overpaid player in the league? I won't even tough on the Shesterkin vote. When you're only choosing 1 player some of these votes are just done to troll.

Reactions: ellja3

Crow

May 19, 2014
Wait. There is a vote for Shesterkin, but none for Josh Anderson or Brendan Gallagher
Wtf. Why would there be a vote for shesterkin? He hasn’t even been paid yet.

I’d rather have nurse than huberdeau. Both are terrible anyway so who cares I guess.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Combination of
- Nurse scoring 36 pts in a shortened covid season, being a young player and the highest scoring D aside from Barrie
- The Jones and Werenski contracts being his equals

Really shitty combination.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
That's silly. Was this off the top of their heads? Or are they assuming 2024 playoffs Nurse is whom you're getting from now on?

Nurse is probably a $5-6M per year D-man in today's NHL. You roll him out to eat a bunch of minutes and the team will be relatively fine with him on the ice. The Oilers, with Nurse and without McDavid on the ice has, for the past several seasons, been a plus team 5v5. They're not dominating teams, but he's not a negative out there for the team. You put him out there and forget about him.

Meanwhile, Vlasic has been unplayable since he got injured in 2018, and he makes $7M per year for two more seasons. He was a healthy scratch on the goddamned 2023/24 San Jose Sharks. Nurse is overpaid by like $4M. Vlasic is overpaid by $7M.

Man, THN is such an awful site. Clickbait and ignorance.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I'm not sure why Reaves is on the list. He only makes $1.3 mil. All but $100K can be buried in the AHL. Yeah, he can barely play anymore, but it's not like it would hurt a team to pay a guy that salary to play in the AHL. He's not the only guy that can barely play that makes a $ 1 million-ish NHL salary. Meanwhile, a player like Nurse hurts the team with his massive caphit, earning double what he should. The Oilers could pay 2 decent defensive defensemen with what they pay Nurse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad