THN Releases Top-50 Players List

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why is Giroux so low? Why is Malkin so low? Why is Scheifele that high? Why is Hall that high? Why is Tavares that high? Why is Big Buff ahead of Doughty? Why did they omit Getzlaf? Why did they omit Backstrom? Why a lot of things
I feel like doughty should be in the top 10 pretty comfortably.

Getz is a similar player as Giroux/Tavares over the course of their career yet Tavares is 13, Giroux is 23 and getzlaf didn't even get respected enough to be put in the top 50.

I don't mind hellybeck in the top 50, but they have him pretty early... like someone else mentioned their defense played pretty damn good last year... as opposed to a guy like Gibson, whos defense basically disrespected the hell out of him all season. Not saying Gibson should be on the list but if you have hellybeck that high... there is a pretty good argument to be had that Gibson should be somewhere within 10 spots of him.

I mean honestly its just a terrible list in general.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Meh ovie got the cup, at this point in his career that was the bigger/more important accomplishment
I would agree. Hall is in his prime and Ovi is exiting his prime, I'd have to think that has some influence on the rankings. I personally rank Hall ever so slightly ahead of Ovi for wingers.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Swap Hall with Malkin.

Drop all the goalies below 30. This is a good time to swap Doughty and Bobrovsky. Doughty at 30 is.... wow.

Swap Laine and Eichel, move Barzal up 10 spots or so.

Take Byfuglien off entirely, replace him with Pietrangelo. Take Fleury out entirely, replace him with Getzlaf.

Backstrom gets in somewhere too, I'd probably just replace Carlson with him.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I am just mad my boi Phil the Thrill isn't number 1. Like how many hot dogs can McDavid eat compared too the two time Stanley Cup Champion

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Stuff like this is why I'm worried getzlaf may have a problem getting into the HOF. It's like people don't even watch him play, he's always been severely underrated.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
At the bare minimum, I’d swap Bergeron or Hall with Malkin. Insane to rank either in front of him.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
After the first three, they basically just throw the names in a bingo machine.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I am just mad my boi Phil the Thrill isn't number 1. Like how many hot dogs can McDavid eat compared too the two time Stanley Cup Champion

Not really sure how he is viewed around the league but he has consistently been near the leaderboard of points the past couple years. Wasn’t surprised he didn’t make it but if he didn’t, he should certainly be among the next couple that didn’t get picked.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I would personally have Malkin in the top 5, and probably at #3 - but I have to say i'm happy with Kucherov so high. I think him and Karlsson are my top 5, in whatever order for 3-5 (top 2 shouldn't change)
There's no way in hell Taylor Hall is the 6th best hockey player in the world today. But if you want to give player props for performances last year no issue there. I agree with the OP about inconsistencies in that sense.
Hellebuyck is waaaay too high. I can see arguments for certain veteran goalies above Price - but not this guy. He shouldn't be above Holtby either.
I'd have Ovechkin higher too, though Ovechkin at 10 is not as bad as Malkin at 14 imo. I'd probably have him 6-7.
Doughty obviously should be much higher.
Laine and Matthews both too high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad