THN Releases Top-50 Players List

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The saddest part about this, is the guy who wrote this list was payed for doing so when most HF members could comprise a better one in under a half hour. This list he probably did research and got a week to go over it and make it before finalizing it as one of his "Summer jobs."

You can tell he's a jets fan with where Laine is, Hellebuyck and Byfugilen are.

You can also tell he's a jets fan by leaving off Getzlaf. Didn't the ducks just sweep the jets a few years back? Hmm. There's no other justification for leaving off Getzlaf out of the top 30 at the most, let alone 50.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The saddest part about this, is the guy who wrote this list was payed for doing so when most HF members could comprise a better one in under a half hour. This list he probably did research and got a week to go over it and make it before finalizing it as one of his "Summer jobs."

You can tell he's a jets fan with where Laine is, and Byfugilen over DOughty.

You can also tell he's a jets fan by leaving off Getzlaf. Didn't the ducks just sweep the jets a few years back? Hmm. There's no other justification for leaving off Getzlaf out of the top 30 at the most, let alone 50.

My immediate thought upon glancing at the list was that it was created by a Jets fan. Scheifele's ranked aggressively though there's an argument there, but personally I wouldn't dare have him in the top 10. Laine's far too high and Buff is simply not a top 50 NHL player, let alone over Drew f***ing Doughty, who should be in the top 10.

It's a really bad list.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You just have to laugh at how underrated Giroux has been thru his career.

2nd in points this year
2nd in points this decade
3 top 3 in scoring finishes
3 top 4 in Hart voting finishes

Doesn't matter though.

Stamkos is ranked higher than Giroux...and it's been 6 years since Stamkos had more points than Giroux in a season.

Tavares ranked #13. He has had 2 top 15 finishes in scoring. Giroux has 6.

Hall ranked way higher, and has beaten Giroux in points 1 time in 8 years.

Doesn't matter though. Guess we should be used to it by now.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Here it is:

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Kucherov
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
6. Hall
7. Bergeron
8. MacKinnon
9. Scheifele
10. Ovechkin
11. Kopitar
12. Bobrovsky
13. Tavares
14. Malkin
15. Wheeler
16. Kuznetsov
17. Matthews
18. Marchand
19. Laine
20. Stamkos
21. Jones
22. Hellebuyck
23. Giroux
24. Subban
25. Vasilevskiy
26. Kane
27. Panarin
28. Seguin
29. Byfuglien
30. Doughty
31. Barkov
32. Burns
33. Gaudreau
34. Pastrnak
35. Fleury
36. Benn
37. Forsberg
38. Carlson
39. Price
40. Eichel
41. Barzal
42. Rantanen
43. Kessel
44. Quick
45. Josi
46. Tarasenko
47. W. Karlsson
48. Marner
49. Couturier
50. Monahan

Now, let’s all have a good time blasting this list to pieces. I’ll start us off, but I’m sure there’s all sorts of players who got jobbed in various ways.

1. How the flying **** did they justify putting Doughty so low. I believe it was the general (although undoubtedly disputed) consensus on here that he was the best d-man this past year, and Hedman received the Norris because of the weird way it is given to players who are “due.” I’d have him just ahead of VH77, but I don’t think anyone can say he should be more than one or two spots behind.

2. The Malkin ranking. The dude is consistently ridiculously underrated and it just makes no sense, as the same media people are fine to always include him in the same breath as Sid and Ovi.

3. Really weak love for Giroux after a great rebound season. Coming from a fan of the Pens.

4. What’s with all the inconsistency? The aggressive rankings of Hall, MacKinnon, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, and other players who exploded this last year seems to point to the idea that they are focusing on recent history. Yet in that case, why are Crosby and Karlsson so high, after having great but not truly outstanding seasons last year? Why is Kane over Panarin?

Scheifele 9 vs Laine 19 vs Barkov 31 I just don't get. Barkov was easily better than Laine last year and certainly at Scheifele level, can score at similar level with elite defense.

Malkin at 14 is crazy, crazier is Doughty which I almost failed to see.
Good to see Karlsson still get love.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews 17
Laine 19
Eichel 40

Seems legit.

Throw either of them on 31st offense and team with girgensens and pominville do they put up 121 pts in there last 128?
Pretty sure they didn’t even do that on the top 5 scoring teams there on now. Then there’s the injuries and playing for a rookie head coach in his first year and disco dan.

I think Matthews should be ahead but id rank Eichel around 25 myself. Austin’s spot
Is okay but Laine should be around top 30 but certainly not ahead of Eichel. Laines
Claim to fame is goals and Eichel in just 67 games put up just two less even strength goals. Meanwhile Jack had 13 more assists in 16 less games against much tougher competition then Laine faces.

It’s okay, after this year he will be top 20 by next years rankings.

Cue jets fans quoting me telling me “yea but Laine is a teenager” when he’s been an adult for 3 years, plays on the best team in the west with the most talented players and playmakers that perfectly suit the type of goal scoring talent he is.

Personally, I don’t see how Laine doesent do better. 26 assists in 82 games with all those guys? And he’s top 20 in the NHL?

Yeah, ok.

that being said there’s arguments to be made all over.

Mackinnon is insanely high seeing as he’s had one great season and a few mediocre ones.

How is he ahead of Matthews when he hasn’t (Matthews) even had one average season?

Spare us the excuses. Eichel plays over 2 minutes more per game than Matthews and over 3 minutes more per game than Laine. If both played more their numbers would even be better than they are.
And in what world has Matthews not had 1 average season? He's had 40 goals already and finished 2nd in the NHL in goals scored.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Bolded = too high
Underlined = too low

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Kucherov
4. Karlsson

5. Hedman
6. Hall
7. Bergeron
8. MacKinnon
9. Scheifele
10. Ovechkin
11. Kopitar

12. Bobrovsky
13. Tavares
14. Malkin
15. Wheeler
16. Kuznetsov
17. Matthews
18. Marchand
19. Laine
20. Stamkos
21. Jones
22. Hellebuyck
23. Giroux
24. Subban
25. Vasilevskiy
26. Kane
27. Panarin

28. Seguin
29. Byfuglien
30. Doughty
31. Barkov
32. Burns
33. Gaudreau

34. Pastrnak
35. Fleury
36. Benn
37. Forsberg
38. Carlson
39. Price
40. Eichel
41. Barzal
42. Rantanen

43. Kessel
44. Quick
45. Josi
46. Tarasenko
47. W. Karlsson
48. Marner
49. Couturier

50. Monahan

Getzlaf, Suter, Pietro being the biggest omissions.

Your list is somehow worse

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Should he be higher? He just had his first season above 40 points.
No, he should not. But W.Karlsson is there with his 1 78 point and never broke 25 points before. And they are only 1 month apart in age fwiw.

That is what is confusing with this list. Obviously Couts is there due to 1 great year for him. As is Hall. And WK. But then why isn't Barzal way up there too? Or why isn't Giroux since he had that 1 great year AND has others in his back pocket too? Why does Matthews get the push upwards yet does not have a 70 point season yet? No Voracek with his 85 point season even though he also has an 81 point season before too?

It's all over the map.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Man, still can’t believe the leafs added Tavares for free. A franchise center added to a 105 point team.

Also interesting to see on the list that no player that is younger than Matthews is ranked higher than him. Makes sense though.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Man, still can’t believe the leafs added Tavares for free. A franchise center added to a 105 point team.

Also interesting to see on the list that no player that is younger than Matthews is ranked higher than him. Makes sense though.
Eh, they'll regress!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
TSN has criminally underrated Malkin in the past, so it's not surprising that they put freaking John Tavares over Malkin. Yes, the Tavares that has a career high of 38 goals and 86 points is better than a guy who had 42 goals and 98 points last year, which was a normal season for him.
It's not just THN, Malkin somehow was left out of the top 100 players list and Toews got on. I think playing second fiddle to Crosby has hurt his overall legacy as a great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad