THN: Leafs in conversations with Jake McCabe about an extension.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Funny enough, Zadorov's 5M salary is #64 in the league for defencemen (tied with Samuel Girard). So it's borderline #2/3 money. Personally, I'm not that fond of McCabe or really any of our defensemen but here we are.

Reactions: supermann_98

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I know McCabe is at least half decent because I don't often find myself swearing at the tv at him.

I like McCabe too. But I don't like him $5M much. Not even $4M much.

Even though somebody will probably give him that.

Is McCabe really a top four defensemen in the league. He's never made any top one hundred list that I've ever seen. I suppose he could be one of the remaining twenty eight players left.

Just because I don't think he's all that good doesn't mean he actually isn't.

Clearly he's established a following among a large portion of the greatest fan base in the world. He plays a rugged style and doesn't screw up a whole lot. I just don't know if being not bad is good enough.

Is he really worth $5M and a top four role on a cup contending team.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I know McCabe is at least half decent because I don't often find myself swearing at the tv at him.

I like McCabe too. But I don't like him $5M much. Not even $4M much.

Even though somebody will probably give him that.

Is McCabe really one of the top sixty four defensemen in the league. He's never made any top fifty list that I've ever seen. I suppose he could be one of the remaining fourteen players left.

Just because I don't think he's all that good doesn't mean he actually isn't.

Clearly he's established a following among a large portion of the greatest fan base in the world. He plays a rugged style and doesn't screw up a whole lot. I just don't know if being not bad is good enough.

Is he really worth $5M and a top four role on a cup contending team.
He’s making 4 mill now. I doubt he takes a pay cut.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He’s making 4 mill now. I doubt he takes a pay cut.

But he's only been costing $2M for the Leafs and at that price he's absolutely worth keeping.

I don't see any opportunity for exceeding the cap hit at $4M-$5M. With the Leafs top heavy cap structure they need value contracts for those middle of the roster guys. McCabe is a good player so I'm sure someone will give him a long term retirement deal.

And if recent history is any indication that someone will likely be Treliving.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
McCabe was our #2 last year behind Rielly and has been our second most important addition to the blue line in the Matthews era behind Jake Muzzin.

Brodie made $5,000,000/year and Muzzin made $5,625,000/year (both in their 30's).

McCabe at $5,000,000 to $5,350,000 would be fair for both sides.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
McCabe was our #2 last year behind Rielly and has been our second most important addition to the blue line in the Matthews era behind Jake Muzzin.

Brodie made $5,000,000/year and Muzzin made $5,625,000/year (both in their 30's).

I think it's more a conviction of the Leafs defense last year that McCabe was number two than a good faith showing of his actual place on a cup contending team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McCabe is easily a 3/4 on any team. 5 million for that alone is worth it the way the NHL is going and defencemen getting paid. Then you throw in the fact he can play both sides effectively and his hard nose approach to the game. I’m not complaining at 5 million.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

Completely agree, but it is the term that could be the concern. He is about to turn 31, so he will be 32 at the start of next season when this extension kicks in.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Both Muzzin and Brodie fell apart at age 32. McCabe will be 32 before this contract extension kicks in.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
For the right price and term absolutely……..
The concensus among the media seems to be a "McCabe" type deal 5.75AAV but 6yrs

I like him but I'd be a lot more comfortable if the contract was scaled as such that it could be bought out reasonably in the 5th and/or 6th year and give him a 14 team LTC as a trade off for the out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad