Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
A bit of reality- Our biggest issue this year will be line 3, not defense. Janmark-Henrique - Brown were great in the finals but they had an unsustainable shooting percentage, and got outchanced as well. Brown and Janmark are comfortably 4th line players, they were just more defensively responsible in the finals vs Foegele/Mcleod and thus got elevated. At 34 years old, I’m not sure Henrique has the chops to carry a line. He too was heavily outchanced when asked to centre his own line post TDL. The loss of Mcleod, Foegele and Holloway, guys with speed who could chip in 12-15 goals, shouldn’t be underestimated. The Oilers will either elevate Philip at some point to 3C or look at a trade.
The oilers won’t be trading for a 3C this year, I can guarantee you that.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I got laughed at when I said I think the Oilers will have some difficulty this year replacing the 60+ goals that has left the lineup... Foegele/McLeod/Kane/Holloway.

Henrique/Skinner/Arvidsson/Podkolzin "should" be able to replace the bulk of that... but maybe not with quite as much ease as some think... especially when you combine that with Hyman likely regressing from 54 goals which he likely won't repeat again.

It actually wouldn't surprise me at all if this team scores less than last year, They were 4th in GF last season and I could see that dropping at least somewhat.

GA could be an issue as well if the PK isn't as good with the group they have now... always a possibility as it's basically a complete makeover with Ceci/Desharnais/McLeod all gone who all played key roles on the PK last season.

Goaltending is "ok" but a duo of Skinner/Pickard isn't a worldbeater... very much an average type duo and any regression in either or both of offense and defense on the team will put the focus even more on that average duo in net.

This isn't meant to be hand-wringing... just the fact that this team isn't necessarily just carrying on from their game 7 SC form... it's a whole new slate with every team in the NHL squarely gunning for the Oilers who are the clear #1 favourites for the cup now... and that bullseye increases the pressure on this team now. It wasn't "easy" last season and I think it will be even harder this year when every team in the league treats this Oilers team as the #1 contending team in the NHL and brings their A games more often than not.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I got laughed at when I said I think the Oilers will have some difficulty this year replacing the 60+ goals that has left the lineup... Foegele/McLeod/Kane/Holloway.

Henrique/Skinner/Arvidsson/Podkolzin "should" be able to replace the bulk of that... but maybe not with quite as much ease as some think... especially when you combine that with Hyman likely regressing from 54 goals which he likely won't repeat again.

It actually wouldn't surprise me at all if this team scores less than last year, They were 4th in GF last season and I could see that dropping at least somewhat.

GA could be an issue as well if the PK isn't as good with the group they have now... always a possibility as it's basically a complete makeover with Ceci/Desharnais/McLeod all gone who all played key roles on the PK last season.

Goaltending is "ok" but a duo of Skinner/Pickard isn't a worldbeater... very much an average type duo and any regression in either or both of offense and defense on the team will put the focus even more on that average duo in net.

This isn't meant to be hand-wringing... just the fact that this team isn't necessarily just carrying on from their game 7 SC form... it's a whole new slate with every team in the NHL squarely gunning for the Oilers who are the clear #1 favourites for the cup now... and that bullseye increases the pressure on this team now. It wasn't "easy" last season and I think it will be even harder this year when every team in the league treats this Oilers team as the #1 contending team in the NHL and brings their A games more often than not.
The PK and GA are the biggest concerns IMO.
The roster just isnt as good as it was at the end of last season. Foegele and McLeod were good players on the PK and pretty good defenisvely at 5x5 as well.
Arvidsson is good on the PK so that helps. I am not sure what to expect from Skinner and Podkolzin at 5x5 but we shall see how that plays out.
The D is the main concern for me. This team is very thin on D. The team needs to play a tight system with the forwards committed to their defensive roles.
An important factor in that regard is that Knoblauch should help with the systems play to start the season. Just a better coach than Woody and the continuity from last season should help as well.
Lastly...the team is much more mature after getting to game 7 of the SCF.
That to me should make a big difference just in terms of being ready to start the season.

I expect some upgrades at the TDL so as long as this team can stay in playoff contention I think that they will be ready to challenge for a SC by the time April rolls around.
Of course injuries are the wildcard.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Indeed. How many teams look like world-beaters in pre-season after going to game 7 of the SCF a few months prior?

Can't think of many, personally.

This place has become a bastion of hyperbole that is nearly as knee-jerk as Leafsland nowadays.

Sorry, I said it. It's felt like Leafsland West in here for a few seasons now, but the amount of nonsense being spewed in the pre-season has really made it obvious.

Embarrassing amounts of entitlement in here. Why does everyone think they were going to cruise through the season? They wouldn't have with those very inconsistent players either.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
No to trading Kulak.

I'd rather wait to accrue cap space to bring in a guy like Borgen and trade picks/prospects for him rather than be forced to send salary out by trading a good player/playoff performer/guy who wants to be here for a modest upgrade and leave a hole on the other side.
Maybe you make that trade if Broberg was still here but, then again, if Broberg was still here the Oilers would be in cap hell.
Our ability to accrue cap plan doesn't change at all with Borgen he's signed for $50K less than Kulak and with that trade and in my hypothetical we were sending J, Brown down and Gleason up which is a $225K savings; when adjusted for the deadline that would give us ~$1.245M more capspace to play with.

Creating a hole to fill another hole isn't a great argument IMO when we are filling hole of clearly greater importance, the 2nd pairing vs. the 3rd pairing and IMO the players we have in house are more capable of filling a 3rd pairing hole then our 3rd pairing guys stepping up into a 2nd pairing role.

Also in proposing that a lot of it was with Nurse in mind, he's not the easiest guy to develop chemistry with and the sooner a move is done that is compatible with him, likely the better. My thoughts are also with long term cap projections in mind there is zero shot the cap rises enough to cover the Drai + Bouchard raises, so someone with an NMC is going to have to agree to being traded and I'm looking at Nurse, I want him to have a good enough season where we only have to retain $1.75M AAV per year instead of ~$3M.
Seattle isn't going to just roll over and trade their roster players before the season starts. The only way we get Borgen this year, is if Seattle falls out of the playoff race and they can't re-sign him.

Plus, we need Kulak in the playoffs.
Seattle is ofcourse more likely to trade him if their playoff dreams are dashed, but I believe his fate is already sealed, they brought in Montour pushing him down the depth chart and already extended Larsson, with Borgen's next deal likely over $4M, he should price himself out of a 3rd pairing role.

That doesn't mean they need to trade him now, so we would be paying a little premium over deadline pricing, but I think they'd see Kulak as only a moderate downgrade and locked at a price they more comfortable paying a 3rd line d-man longer term so it improves their cost certainty.

I also don't see Seattle's Management as being dumb, I think they recognize they aren't like Vegas and won't immediately hop into contender status, its going to be more of a process and they are kind of a bubble playoff team at the moment and bubble teams sometimes take 1 step back for 2 steps forward kind of trades.

I also see Kulak's playoff heroics being overblown, he elevates, but not to an extent that makes me forget that we have a 2nd d-pairing that falls flat on its face every post season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Indeed. How many teams look like world-beaters in pre-season after going to game 7 of the SCF a few months prior?

Can't think of many, personally.

This place has become a bastion of hyperbole that is nearly as knee-jerk as Leafsland nowadays.

Sorry, I said it. It's felt like Leafsland West in here for a few seasons now, but the amount of nonsense being spewed in the pre-season has really made it obvious.

Embarrassing amounts of entitlement in here. Why does everyone think they were going to cruise through the season? They wouldn't have with those very inconsistent players either.
Why do we think this team will cruise through the regular season? Because they've done so the last 3 years

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I seen a post on Twitter where they aid Josh Brown bought a house already.

That's Edmonton for you. JUst give you a spot even if you are pure trash.

Dermott likely to sign.

They said Emberson hasn't showed as much as they liked, but they will play him with Nurse tomorrow.

Jeezus Christ why not play him with nurse even in Seattle.

It's always reactionary things with this club. Never get ahead of anything.

An upgrade could come sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
A bit of reality- Our biggest issue this year will be line 3, not defense. Janmark-Henrique - Brown were great in the finals but they had an unsustainable shooting percentage, and got outchanced as well. Brown and Janmark are comfortably 4th line players, they were just more defensively responsible in the finals vs Foegele/Mcleod and thus got elevated. At 34 years old, I’m not sure Henrique has the chops to carry a line. He too was heavily outchanced when asked to centre his own line post TDL. The loss of Mcleod, Foegele and Holloway, guys with speed who could chip in 12-15 goals, shouldn’t be underestimated. The Oilers will either elevate Philip at some point to 3C or look at a trade.
I agree. I think Brown could be ok on that third line (but not guaranteed) and Janmark should only be doing spot duty in the top 9.

If Philp could push to the 3C and move Henrique to wing (either on the 3rd line or bumping Arvidsson down) things would look a lot more balanced.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Any Hyman regression is likely to be covered off by McDavid scoring more again and Leon scoring more again. Between the two of them they scored about 15 goals less than they normally would (at least). That's not to mention Brown is probably going to get ~10 more goals than last year. I would bet pretty easily on Skinner/Arvidsson alone covering off at least 50 of the goals that left us assuming they stay healthy. That's also not to mention having ~20 goal guy Henrique for the full season. If anything we underperformed offensively last year, our finishing was 32nd in the NHL I believe. Statistically, we are due for more goals going in.

The only guy with an outlier offensive year was Hyman. Everyone else was at their norm, or below their norm.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Line 3 will be rotating players with Henrique. If Brown is a step above last year he will be fine there. Lavoie could be a guy there. We have Savoie that could come up to. And at some point Kane is back which means he will be there or one of the top 6 wingers will be. I am not at all worried about the 3rd line. The third line last year did almost NOTHING unless they were paired with Draisaitl so I am not worried.

Reactions: K1984

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Dermott likely to sign.

They said Emberson hasn't showed as much as they liked, but they will play him with Nurse tomorrow.

I mean Emberson has been good, the best of the Dermott, Stetcher and Brown grouping. It's not his fault that he's not a bonafide top 4 guy yet.

Reactions: North

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Dermott likely to sign.

I don't think Coffey and Knoblauch are stupid enough to see Brown good and Emberson meh so far. I think that's 2 Mutts injecting their own opinions and attributing it to the coaching staff.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

oilers-oilers-cheer.gif
Dallas and Denver have pretty big slices in that final inner area too.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Claiming a goalie on waivers does nothing with respect to Rodrigue. The goalie you claim would be on the NHL roster.
What? No. Maybe you claim a goaltender with the intent of sending them down to Bakersfield to replace Rodrigue on the depth chart.

Maybe the waiver claim gets claimed by someone else or even the team you just claimed them from, when you send them down to the AHL. Maybe not. Teams pick up players then demote them successfully all the time. Look into it.

If they do get claimed claim another.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
What? No. Maybe you claim a goaltender with the intent of sending them down to Bakersfield to replace Rodrigue on the depth chart.

Maybe the waiver claim gets claimed by someone else or even the team you just claimed them from, when you send them down to the AHL. Maybe not. Teams pick up players then demote them successfully all the time. Look into it.

Buffalo will probably waive James Reimer. 1mil AAV.

Ya, I would.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Any goalie of any quality usually gets claimed all the time. Look into it.

The Oilers have Delia in the A - which is probably roughly the quality of goalie they would get on waivers anyways. Anybody that is even slightly good isn't going to make it to the Oilers deep position in the waiver pecking order anyways.

If a goalie hits waivers that is any upgrade over Delia/Rodrigue - claim him. Doubt this goalie makes it to the Oilers, and if he does is going to have to go through waivers again on the way down.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

That just unnecessarily adds a contract. It's a convoluted way of saying that you don't like the prospect. Best case, he goes down and plays well enough that some team may see upside that he doesn't have here.

Unless we're upgrading on Pickard, there's no reason to add another goalie.

Reactions: Spawn

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Dermott likely to sign.

IMG_0548.jpeg
IMG_0547.jpeg

P
IMG_0550.jpeg

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

If Emberson plays good tomorrow, Brown should sell his house

I am all for giving Nurse and Emberson a shot.

But feels fairly obvious at this point, that the pairing should be

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher
Kulak-Emberson

I mean if the team wants to play JBrown as the 7th then fine.

And if the team wants to give Dermott and a contract and send to the AHL then fine.

But if we end up waiving Stetcher or Emberson, I am going to be confused.

Shocked that the league helps out their precious golden bitches again.
Maybe MTL should try doing the same thing with Carey Price.

GY-QmpgawAAcmkn

How the f*ck is this possible? I really hate the NHL sometimes.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad