This years cup final is the best cup final since ___ (year) between _____ (Team A) and ______ (Team B).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It's the best in a while and definitely the best of this decade.

The one last year was pure domination. Same with the 2021 series between TB and MTL, although I personally enjoyed that one because f*** MTL. :)

DAL/TB was kind of meh. TB/COL got good toward the end but didn't go seven games and one the score of one game was 7-0.

The 2019 SCF was enjoyable. I was so worried BOS was going to win, but STL came back from 3-2 down in the series and won Game Seven 4-1.

The finals in 2018, 2017, 2016 weren't very good in terms of competitiveness.

This is the best Stanley Cup Final since 2019 and the only ones I've seen that may be better are the ones from 1994, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2019.

STL was up 3-2 in the series.

Reactions: DitchMarner

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Its fun because for neutral fans its so much drama

I bet many neutral fans aren't fans of Edmonton or Florida.

But everyone knows McDavid. Either love him and his records, or hates him/wants him to fail

And 0-3 comebacks never happen...yet here we are. So much drama

It's enough to pull a lot of casual fans in.

I couldn't say best final since when exactly - but it's been spectacular to follow

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Sure, it’s been good, but only 1-out-of-6 so far has been a one-goal game. One was a two-goal game, and four 3+ goal victories. The reverse sweep aspect is cool, but I think a series of back and forth close games would’ve been more enjoyable as a neutral fan.

OT tonight would be incredible.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I understand what the two-halves poster meant. Games aren't as entertaining without back-and-forth games.

The 0-3 comeback is a great story, objectively speaking, but it would be better if the games had been closer. Game 5 wasn't bad, but 8-1 and 5-1 leave little to watch. I hope the Panthers win this in a thriller... Of course, I wouldn't say no to a blowout, but that's from a homer perspective.

--Edit--

Oh, and I guess I would say it's the best since 2019 even though Rask didn't get his cup.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Can you call 16 fans a riot?

2011 and the years red wings vs pens and the losing Hossa years
18,362 average attendance this season and every playoff game sold out. I'm sure attendance will be great next year too.

They had great attendance in their first few years too. No louder building in the nhl circa 96.

Miami area can easily support an NHL franchise imo. They've proven it.

Regarding thread, why was 2011 an entertaining series? Game 1 was scoreless until like 15 seconds left. Every Boston victory was a blowout.

2013 was probably the last true classic from start to finish. There was doubt as to who would win.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Sure, it’s been good, but only 1-out-of-6 so far has been a one-goal game. One was a two-goal game, and four 3+ goal victories. The reverse sweep aspect is cool, but I think a series of back and forth close games would’ve been more enjoyable as a neutral fan.

OT tonight would be incredible.
I feel like tonight is going to be like 2011 or 2019. A blowout in one direction.

Reactions: Trade

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
In terms of both storylines and how it has played out, I think there's a good case for this being the most interesting Cup Finals series ever. Of course there's the legacy of the greatest player of our generation and the Cup returning to Canada, but there's also Paul Maurice coaching nearly 2000 games without a Cup, and the Panthers staring at the possibility of losing the Finals two seasons in a row. There was already all of this before the series had its dramatic flip. The only way it can get better is a triple overtime game tonight decided with a breakaway goal.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
It's good.

Be better if the NHL went to a 1-32 playoff format and added an additional round to the playoffs. The SC finals in July would be the sweetest.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I prefer my SCF games to be well contested back-and forth affairs.

For that, 2013 was definitely tops.

2011 had too many blowouts.

2009 was fun too, but again, Detroit won 3 games in murderous fashion (ironic since they lost). Each individual game wasnt great in of itself.

2013 only had one stinker in game 3. Every other game was edge of your seat.

Reactions: Joe MacMillan

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I've loved it but it's not been a great series. Most the 6 games have been lopsided. No OTs. Week break before it started. 3 day breaks in between. No major fights or brawls.

For me it is an all timer with the comeback and cup to Canada and McDavid storylines... Or can Florida get it this time. Lots of stories to be told.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
18,362 average attendance this season and every playoff game sold out. I'm sure attendance will be great next year too.

They had great attendance in their first few years too. No louder building in the nhl circa 96.

Miami area can easily support an NHL franchise imo. They've proven it.

Regarding thread, why was 2011 an entertaining series? Game 1 was scoreless until like 15 seconds left. Every Boston victory was a blowout.

2013 was probably the last true classic from start to finish. There was doubt as to who would win.
2011 was exciting because there was hatred and rivalry between the teams, it was somewhat of a goaltending battle between Thomas and Luongo, also the year Thomas won his second Vezina in 6 seasons, there was so much controversy about the reffing (Remember the Burrows bite?). Mark Recchi at 43 became the oldest player to score in the finals, there was the Horton hit by Rome that made him leave on a stretcher (and pretty much ended his career prematurely), game 3 had almost 150 minutes in penalties, Luongo became the 13th goalie all time to have two shutouts in the finals and then 2 games later Thomas became the 14th goalie all time to do it. There was only one other goalie to do it in the modern era, Chris Osgood, until Matt Murray did it in 2017.

There were 3 extremely close games that Vancouver won, and then 3 games the Bruins smashed 4-0 and 8-1. That added to it, too.

Reactions: BB79

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
2011 was exciting because there was hatred and rivalry between the teams, it was somewhat of a goaltending battle between Thomas and Luongo, also the year Thomas won his second Vezina in 6 seasons, there was so much controversy about the reffing (Remember the Burrows bite?). Mark Recchi at 43 became the oldest player to score in the finals, there was the Horton hit by Rome that made him leave on a stretcher (and pretty much ended his career prematurely), game 3 had almost 150 minutes in penalties, Luongo became the 13th goalie all time to have two shutouts in the finals and then 2 games later Thomas became the 14th goalie all time to do it. There was only one other goalie to do it in the modern era, Chris Osgood, until Matt Murray did it in 2017.

There were 3 extremely close games that Vancouver won, and then 3 games the Bruins smashed 4-0 and 8-1. That added to it, too.

The problem was, for all the off-ice drama and storylines, the actual hockey was stinky poo trash.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
The problem was, for all the off-ice drama and storylines, the actual hockey was stinky poo trash.
3 games were blowouts and 3 games were close and there were 4 shutouts total. I mean if you find that kind of hockey boring than fair enough but all 3 games Vancouver won were very exciting for me and up until the famous 4 minute collapse Game 7 was too. Also game 3 and the Horton hit added a little bit extra to the series even if it was a major blowout because we anticipated that Vancouver would come back hard and it would be an even bloodier series. That kinda didn't really happen after game 5 but it was still pretty exciting overall. Close series where either team could win because of goaltending but Boston was clearly the team with the better chance and Luongo had major collapses while also having the same capability as Thomas to steal games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can't remember a better one.

The energy was very high for a cup final, normally plays are beaten to shreds at this point. But the every three day schedule helped a lot with that. I think they should do that every final now.

The only issue of course is that it is almost July - they really need to start everything a month or two earlier. Hockey is not a summer sport.

The ice quality could have been better as well. Having the cup final every year in some dry spot in Canada would be my preference. :laugh:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Since ever! 😤😤😤

I can't remember a better one.

The energy was very high for a cup final, normally plays are beaten to shreds at this point. But the every three day schedule helped a lot with that. I think they should do that every final now.

The only issue of course is that it is almost July - they really need to start everything a month or two earlier. Hockey is not a summer sport.

The ice quality could have been better as well. Having the cup final every year in some dry spot in Canada would be my preference. :laugh:
Nooooo 🤣

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Since 2007 for me when the Ducks won the Cup
1719291298960.png

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I though this was a pretty terrible final. game 7 aside. Most of the games weren't close, and 3 days off between games sucked a ton of life out of it.

Reactions: Joe MacMillan

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
For me, it is hard to have a list that is consistent with what constitutes the best since as a kid, watching the 1987 Flyers/Oilers finals was absolutely thrilling given Philly's comeback and the Oilers ultimately prevailing. That was the best that I have seen until 1994. That whole playoffs was fun to watch and I was a Leafs fan then, so their run was very satisfying. But the Rangers/Vancouver final was phenomenal.

2006 Hurricanes and Oilers was stellar. I remember visiting my cousins in Edmonton and being on Whyte Ave in Edmonton during on the of the games and just feeling the electricity in the air. That series was fantastic on so many levels.

Until this recent SCF, the last one I thought was the most memorable to me was 2011 (I think) or around there - Boston vs. Vancouver. The whole series went back and forth and while game 7 was anticlimactic, the whole series just had superb entertainment value. I remember my son being in tears when Boston thrashed the Canucks that game 7-1 or 8-1 or something like that. All in all, that was a great finals to watch.

I'm sure there have been other ones, but those are the ones that are etched in my brain. I would say this Florida/Oilers series ranks 2 or 3 overall in my lifetime. What a tremendous series.

Reactions: IceKitties

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad