This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If you have to bring up a rental deal where Dubas traded a 5th for Ben Hutton as him "mortgaging the future", you're flat out not arguing in good faith.

In Dubas' 5 drafts with the Leafs, the Leafs had 2 1sts, 5 2nds, 5 3rd and 5 4ths. That is an entirely reasonable amount of high end picks for a contending team making win-now moves to have. In the same window for the Penguins, the Penguins had 2 1sts, 4 2nds (2 of which were later traded as prospects), 2 3rds (both of which have been traded as prospects)) and 2 4ths (one of which has been traded as a prospect). I don't know how many of those guys are left with the Leafs, but I'm pretty damn confident it's more than what the Penguins have left.

JR made these trades in about a 3 year stretch:

-1st and Hallander (2018 2nd) for Kapanen (remember when Dubas completely embarrassed JR in this deal?)
-1st and Addison (2018 2nd) for Zucker
-1st and Gustavsson (2016 2nd) for Brassard
-2nd for McCann and Bjugstad (honestly the only deal here that wasn't awful for the Penguins)

These deals are why the Penguins have no young players today. I can't see any way that Dubas hurt the Leafs even close to a level that JR's last few years hurt the Penguins, especially with how desperately they need young players today.
lol, 4th round picks are high end now?

They traded 3 firsts to go no where.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
lol, 4th round picks are high end now?

They traded 3 firsts to go no where.

That's what you took away from my post?

My point was that Dubas held onto enough picks that the Leafs could at least somewhat manage to keep a consistently stocked prospect pool. Even if you want to take out the 4ths, fine, they still averaged a 2nd and 3rd every year. That's completely reasonable level of spending for a team trying to win-now, even if it's not paying off.

What JR did for the Penguins in the last few years was not a reasonable level of spending, and considering how old the Penguins core was, they had to be even more strict with how they were spending picks. But that didn't happen, and it's why the Penguins now have literally 0 skaters on their team younger than 25 today.

Reactions: sanscosm

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If you have to bring up a rental deal where Dubas traded a 5th for Ben Hutton as him "mortgaging the future", you're flat out not arguing in good faith.

In Dubas' 5 drafts with the Leafs, the Leafs had 2 1sts, 5 2nds, 5 3rd and 5 4ths. That is an entirely reasonable amount of high end picks for a contending team making win-now moves to have. In the same window for the Penguins, the Penguins had 2 1sts, 4 2nds (2 of which were later traded as prospects), 2 3rds (both of which have been traded as prospects)) and 2 4ths (one of which has been traded as a prospect). I don't know how many of those guys are left with the Leafs, but I'm pretty damn confident it's more than what the Penguins have left.

JR made these trades in about a 3 year stretch:

-1st and Hallander (2018 2nd) for Kapanen (remember when Dubas completely embarrassed JR in this deal?)
-1st and Addison (2018 2nd) for Zucker
-1st and Gustavsson (2016 2nd) for Brassard
-2nd for McCann and Bjugstad (honestly the only deal here that wasn't awful for the Penguins)

These deals are why the Penguins have no young players today. I can't see any way that Dubas hurt the Leafs even close to a level that JR's last few years hurt the Penguins, especially with how desperately they need young players today.
I never said Dubas didnt make some decent moves, but i presented you all the picks he dealt and you choose to ignore that

Trading a 5th for a d-man who wasnt going to play for you in the playoffs when you had dermott/sandin/lilijgren as 5-7 younish D trying to break in is a clear short sighted move and ignoring that shows you are not familiar with the leafs situation when dubas was running things (as you should since you aren't a leaf fan and only a pen fan trying to defend dubas)

His tenure was disastourous for us sadly.
He dealt in the above listing:

1) 6 1st round picks (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)

2) 5 2nd round picks (2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026)

That is 11 top 60 picks dealt in his tenure. Some were good moves, others not so much, being for rentals that didnt work and the team didnt improve under them.

He did bring in a 2020 1st (Amirov - RIP) and 2023 (Cowan) but those deals cost players which he once believed were core pieces (Kapanen & Sandin).

He dumped Kapanen and Johnsson 12 months after Marleay dump which made that trade ridicoulous and non-sensical for us, and Sandin vs Cowan remains to be seen, with Sandin being a player we invested time and development into that we gave up on and got an asset which is likely to make an impact in 2026 or 2027 for the contending leafs.

His picks by name;

1st rounders

2018 - Sandin (Dealt for 2023 1st which became Cowan)
2020 - Amirov (RIP)

2nd rounders

2018 - Durzi (dealt for Muzzin package) 2019 - Robertson (struggling in a 3rd line role for us sadly)
2020 - Hirvonen (looking like an AHLer) , 2021 - Knies (his best pick and a legit top 6 PWF very soon)
2022 - Minten (disapointing CHL seasons in his D+2, looking like an AHLer or 13th forward guy)

3rd rounders

2018 - SDA (in the KHL, a bust and wont be an NHLer for the leafs
2018 - Riely Stotts (gave up on professional hockey dreams and went to CAN university playing for university of ottawa or calgary I believe)

Mikko Kokkonen - looking like a bust. In the AHL and is a middle pairing player there. Really low shot at the NHL

Niemela - In our AHL team, is an alright prospect but hasnt hit off like expected and isnt a surefire NHL D-man.

2021 - No 3rds

Nick Moldenhauer - around 0.5 ppg in his D+3 year and 2nd year in NCAA. Not a guy likely to get an NHL contract

Of the picks there, only Knies is a quality NHLer with us, Robertson best case looks like a top 9 player and Niemela + Minten are long-shot NHL players

His drafting was weak here in toronto. It is much improved in Pittsburgh I will give you.

Liked a fair share of the pens picks compared to what we were drafting here in toronto with dubas, partially due to lack of picks via dubas deals

Last edited:

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
Would be fun to know what was the "oldest" team to win a Stanley Cup or to at least to play in SC final. I doubt it's possible to do when average player's age exceeds 30 years.
1730119796441.png

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Would be fun to know what was the "oldest" team to win a Stanley Cup or to at least to play in SC final. I doubt it's possible to do when average player's age exceeds 30 years.
View attachment 922747
I took a look at recent finalists since penguins-sharks in 2016, and most average 28-29+. None over 30 but some were above 29.5. All were above league average age. Interesting!

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I took a look at recent finalists since penguins-sharks in 2016, and most average 28-29+. None over 30 but some were above 29.5. All were above league average age. Interesting!

Was it one of the leafs teams in the 60s?

It seemed to ring a bell as I feel like I've heard that somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad