This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’ll say this for the 100th time : Sullivan is not going anywhere folks. Dude is more untouchable than Crosby. He has just started his contract extension this season.

If they really wanted to fire Sullivan, he would’ve been gone by now cause he’s been way past his expiration date
The Pens are old and slow and should rebuild. But those old slow guys are still good players. And with their current coaching they are a 90 point team. Not good enough for the playoffs and not bad enough for a top ten pick. They are stuck in the middle with an old club and no elite prospects. It’s the worst spot to be.

Reactions: wetcoast

BobCole

May 21, 2014
The Pens are old and slow and should rebuild. But those old slow guys are still good players. And with their current coaching they are a 90 point team. Not good enough for the playoffs and not bad enough for a top ten pick. They are stuck in the middle with an old club and no elite prospects. It’s the worst spot to be.
This is true, but it is what it is. It also seems that the voice behind the bench has gone stale.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Oiler fan who watched last nights game: Wow, the Pens made Skinner look like a Vezina candidate, and helped a couple Oiler Top 6 get monkey's off their backs. Young Joel Blomqvist looked quite good, but how can you give the opposition 50 shots? :oops:

Sid is such a beauty, bless his heart for that contract. I truly hope he doesn't get embarrassed. I still have flashbacks of him breaking Ryan Strome's ankles to score an OT winner here.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is true, but it is what it is. It also seems that the voice behind the bench has gone stale.
Changing the coach will not change the end result. This is a club that will pick 10-15 come the draft. Although I do think Dubas is under the gun so he might use a coaching change to help survive.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Oiler fan who watched last nights game: Wow, the Pens made Skinner look like a Vezina candidate, and helped a couple Oiler Top 6 get monkey's off their backs. Young Joel Blomqvist looked quite good, but how can you give the opposition 50 shots? :oops:

Sid is such a beauty, bless his heart for that contract. I truly hope he doesn't get embarrassed. I still have flashbacks of him breaking Ryan Strome's ankles to score an OT winner here.

Sid looks checked out under Sullivan right now. But I blame him. I don’t know how any players could get up for this guy anymore.

Changing the coach will not change the end result. This is a club that will pick 10-15 come the draft. Although I do think Dubas is under the gun so he might use a coaching change to help survive.

It will change the product in the ice. Even if the results are the same, the process can be changed. I’d rather watch a team trying lose. Than a team that looks like it’s packed it in.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
They picked 14th last year and were a point away from the playoffs. They will be top 10 this year. And if this level of play continues, there's a real chance it's a pick closer to 5 than 10.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pettersson if I’m spelling it right is a solid d-man

They could have gotten Chychrun

Just rebuilt the defense through cats that maybe needed a change of scenery

I can’t believe they went the route of Karlsson
Just can’t believe it.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
They are currently on pace for around 64 points. That would have been 4th worst last year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s still hilarious to me that Sullivan was named the head coach for team USA when his team is looking like a cellar team a year and a half before the Olympics even start.

He’s riding off of the cup wins from 8 years ago so people don’t realize he’s a trash coach. Or he’s at least a trash coach at adjusting based on the roster he has.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s still hilarious to me that Sullivan was named the head coach for team USA when his team is looking like a cellar team a year and a half before the Olympics even start.

He’s riding off of the cup wins from 8 years ago so people don’t realize he’s a trash coach. Or he’s at least a trash coach at adjusting based on the roster he has.

Did Laviolette or Torts decline? I feel like both are better options.

Reactions: olli

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
They're really bad, badly need to rebuild. Why did they trade for Karlsson again?

Ultimately it was probably still the wrong call, but other than the 1st rounder they didn't really give up that much for Karlsson. It's only 2 more years after this one and if Pittsburgh does end up fully rebuilding they can move him with retention, a contender would definitely be intrigued even in twilight years Karlsson at the right cap hit.

olli

Least biased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
They are currently on pace for around 64 points. That would have been 4th worst last year.
As bad as they’ve been on pace is not something to bring up this early in the season. Kucherov is also on pace for 82 goals while Stamkos is on pace for like 15.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
sid should have never resigned in the first place. could have went elsewhere to win one more cup. pens are old and slow..
Sid has actually been one of the worst forwards on the team this season with Bunting. Funny how he keeps getting that bs, meanwhile Malkin has been great this season, has a great game with Beauvillier only for the coach to put Beauvillier back with Sid and then it goes back to being nothing again. Sullivan wasted a good season of Sid last year, this year he's doing it with Malkin having a good one, but yeah sure, somehow its everyone but the coach's fault.

But yeah, something something players fault or some bs by blokes that just parrot the typical crap without doing any research whatsoever.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
The Jarry extension really a head scratcher
Sullivan's extension is quite easily the worst of any extension this team signed that is still on this roster, bar none. The amount of players that look absolutely lost and are playing awful as a unit is ridiculous to cherry pick any name without just ignorantly wanting to single out players at this point.

Ned for example, is worse than Jarry is any time he is trying to stop a high danger scoring opportunity. But that narrative doesn't fly right now because blokes here want to whine incessantly about Dubas, then about contracts he's signed and then ignore the fact that a coach can also make players look absolutely dreadful with a piss poor system, usage, and development and then it somehow just becomes all the Gm's fault. There's been far too many players that have been crap under Sullivan to keep using that excuse and being ignorant about the facts.

But Ned isn't awful, neither is Jarry, both are not playing up to what they're capable, Jarry especially. But both have also shown they can be a f*** ton better than the end of last season and this season - where Ned was showing these same issues as well. There's a lot of carry over from the last month of last season, that's on Sullivan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad