Post-Game Talk: This is the end

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I know im supposed to be positive and say hey we made it one game away. The season was a success, they did so good, blah blah blah. Honestly though to make it this far, one win away and lose is actually so brutal. The NHL playoffs are incredibly grueling and difficult. In reality there is a chance that this was Mcdrai's one and only chance.
While true. None of Vegas, Avs, Panthers said it was over after one shot at the thing. Nor should they have, nor should the Oilers who are still a top Cup contending team. The reality is also, that we still have another great shot at this.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There is a very good chance that this was it.

After next year the key core players (other than Mcdrai) on this team will be too old.

This year we seen just how gruelling the playoffs are. It doesn't work with players that are too old.

For how heavy we lean on him, next year Ekholm might be "too old"

Yup, age is gonna start to be an issue with this team probably next year, and certainly the years after. We basically only have next year to win a cup, and we're in an almost full rebuild mode.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I get a lot of the negative sentiment, and lord knows I was one of the most critical early in the season and had doubts in this playoffs about them advancing.

I think there’s reason to still be hopeful, getting this close in my mind is an attraction. For current players to want to stay, at a fair price and potentially those in the market to want to check it out. Yes the team will be older and that will be dealt with (Broberg and Holloway help with that) but I don’t think Drai and Mcdavid are going over a cliff.

That said, things need to change, the entire season needs to have a different focus. A strong start is essential, as is capturing home ice advantage. The strong start is needed so we can manage the load on the big guys. If we are good enough there’s no reason they should take regular 2 minute power play shifts for example. 5 on 5 the team needs to be better across the lineup.

In the playoffs, I think your mantra isn’t to win 4 games, it’s a race to 3. As we saw in the scf you need multiple shots to close the deal, or it catches uo with you. Too often the oilers chased a series, they need to get better to end the early rounds with less wear and tear.

And still, the odds are against winning, it’s the hardest trophy to win for a reason. One key injury, one hot goalie, on or two bad bounces and you are out, but they still have as great a chance as anyone.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
But……like who f***ing cares.

The Flames are on the Sharks radar not ours.
If we hire the right management all 32 teams will be scrutinized... this is all the more urgent because we finished the season one win away.

If they aren't looking to add or create cap space the GM isn't doing his job.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Yup, age is gonna start to be an issue with this team probably next year, and certainly the years after. We basically only have next year to win a cup, and we're in an almost full rebuild mode.
Age is starting to become a factor with many of us on here. The 1990 one is starting to feel like a while ago.

Knob said if we had 5 more minutes we probably tie game 7. We were right f***in there boys.

I bet we win game 7 if the league didn’t revert back to prison rules
Five more minutes only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. 😎

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
damn-it.gif

Me, still.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Calgary has 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. They have a shit ton of picks in the first three rounds of the next three drafts. 15 to be exact. Compare that to the 2 first round picks and 6 picks in the first three rounds over the next three seasons for the Oilers.

If they go full rebuild they'll trade Weegar and Anderson and get another 4 top picks and some more young assets. Or they might trade a few of those picks they already have and be competitive real fast with a retool.

They also have double the projected cap space while needing to acquire less players than the Oilers. The Flames are far from down and out.

If we buyout Campbell my guess is the Flames sign him on the cheap.
Spoiler, they draft more Americans that leave after the ELC.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Been seeing a lot of people talking about that Hyman chance late but nobody seems to want to bring up the part where Montour had his stick in a headlock when he went to shoot.

70 goal scorer with an open net to tie the game late in game 7 of the SCF and the refs just let it go.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
So Drai had ribs and a hand injury as we thought, Kane with the hernia as we knew but Knob didn't disclose Mcdavid's injury. Hell of a season for Mcdavid clearly battling something all season and still broke records.

Scema12

Oct 7, 2015
Did I not see Ekblad holding McDavids leg in the air against the boards in the third period? I'll have to look again but it was bizarre. If you aren't getting a holding call there what call will you get?
Yep, it was on the same play, he just randomly lifts his leg up. Classic Sports though, in the finals the refs literally just put away their whistle. It happens in the NFL in final plays. Just so dumb to watch.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad