Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Every decision we see Briere make is further proof that Michkov was exception and in general he's nearly identical to Fletcher in process and evaluation.
Yep. After the Buium business, it really makes you wonder if the reports last year of them wanting to trade up for Reinbacher (sp) were actually true.

The juxtaposition of the Hathaway signing and Tanner on LV is just beautiful.

I'm seriously considering just watching Michkov this year and doing my best to avoid any news regarding the team as a whole. I feel like I can't even laugh about it anymore. It's just dumb. I'm an eternal optimist, and I'll come around, but draft night broke me a little, and today has certainly not helped.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Isn’t he worse than Frost ?

I like Pinto just fine, but I’m sure you’ll be surprised he leans defense + goal scoring. It’s basically the only two things at which the Flyers look. How many good playmakers do they have in the system? Guys who can run the PP half wall? With flashes of plus skill? Like with everything else they do, Pinto leans that steady meat and potatoes skillset over pure skill. Despite Frost being steady himself. Pinto isn’t a big upside play. He’s scored at 3rd line rates.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As soon as you comprehend that Briere is Fletcher: The Legacy, everything clicks. He's just in a holding pattern instead of buying. What makes anyone confident Briere, when it's buying time (which might even be in 12 months), won't target his own Ristolainen and Hayes? Almost every player type he's targeted at the pro and amateur level has been problematic and superficial fit obsessed. His team building philosophies look woefully outdated and dull. He needs a map in understanding asset values.

The major voice in his ear is Flahr. Flahr's first job in the NHL in 1996 was under Fletcher. He spent 23 years with Fletcher across FOUR teams. I remember when Fletcher was fired, some report came out about Flahr being his own man. Bullshit. Briere comes across as the same collaborative stooge as Fletcher (I'm not discounting Lombardi or Murray being the key advisors). The trade/pick/player valuations look identical.

Flahr has to go. The only way he will before Briere does is if the media dump on him for this draft. It’s ok if not though. It’s not like we have 10% of the first 2 rounds in 2025 or anything.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Now that we’re on the other side of the draft + UFA rush, I’m leaning more toward the nuclear option than I’ve ever been before. Like, trade Farabee for McGroarty. Trade Konecny to Buffalo for their 2025 1st+. Take your lottery pick next year, and still have up to three more 1sts in addition to your own. Start fresh in 2025-26 with a second year Michkov, second year McGroarty, rookie seasons for Hagens/Misa/Ryabkin, Luchanko, Bonk, and Barkey.

If you can keep Foerster, Brink, York, and Drysdale trending in the right direction, that’s a pretty good long term core, without even considering the additional draft capital you’ve accumulated.

I was OK with trying to remain competitive by actually pursuing potential breakout talent (eg, Zegras, Necas, Rossi, etc), but if we’re just going to play it all back, this time with Michkov, I don’t really get the point.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Now that we’re on the other side of the draft + UFA rush, I’m leaning more toward the nuclear option than I’ve ever been before. Like, trade Farabee for McGroarty. Trade Konecny to Buffalo for their 2025 1st+. Take your lottery pick next year, and still have up to three more 1sts in addition to your own. Start fresh in 2025-26 with a second year Michkov, second year McGroarty, rookie seasons for Hagens/Misa/Ryabkin, Luchanko, Bonk, and Barkey.

If you can keep Foerster, Brink, York, and Drysdale trending in the right direction, that’s a pretty good long term core, without even considering the additional draft capital you’ve accumulated.

I was OK with trying to remain competitive by actually pursuing potential breakout talent (eg, Zegras, Necas, Rossi, etc), but if we’re just going to play it all back, this time with Michkov, I don’t really get the point.
its Giroux v2.0 all over again..

"no one can be greater then Clarke..."

thats the real lockerroom slogan

SickScottMondo

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Blue Bell, PA

This is more of a plan than the Flyers have. I salute you for it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Agreed. There is no coherent drafting, development, or roster strategy, the Phantoms are much less a prospect development level than somewhere to store players for no real reason, there is no accountability for the FO or coaching staff, and all of our pets' heads are falling off. May as well give them plenty of draft ammunition to see if they can luck their way into another high-end talent while shooting themselves in the feet.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
They’ve already failed this test multiple times!
Hush, you! More picks to squander means they might accidentally make a right choice for the wrong reasons.

iu

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Agreed. There is no coherent drafting, development, or roster strategy, the Phantoms are much less a prospect development level than somewhere to store players for no real reason, there is no accountability for the FO or coaching staff, and all of our pets' heads are falling off. May as well give them plenty of draft ammunition to see if they can luck their way into another high-end talent while shooting themselves in the feet.
World class, as always.
Mienp71gBRfCE.gif

There is no plan. They really think, hey, we'll just draft some gud guys and go from there! In one way at least, I can see why they lean so hard on Clarke and Co. They haven't won a championship since then, and actually think those guys have the answers. They are depending on players who were just doing their jobs at the time, to do the job of the people above them. I'm not going to speak to Bobby Clarke the hockey player, I never saw him
He's not anywhere close to Snider the owner. (And I'm not saying Snider was the best owner in sports or anything) Point is, if Bob Clarke wasn't good at hockey, would he do what Ed Snider did in Philadelphia? Yet this guy was handed the keys to the castle. I guess you could say that comes back on Snider, but the point still stands.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021

Honestly, this is a really reassuring post to read. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills in other parts of the internet where fans seem to think the Flyers are actually doing something. I really appreciate your position which seems to have given them the benefit of the doubt but now losing confidence where they are just doing nothing. Like if they have a plan at all, it's inscrutable what is and what they're doing to fulfill it.

Reactions: freakydallas13

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

This. This has always been the solution. It's a rare team that can generate a decade-plus window of legitimate contention like the mid-90s to late 00s Red Wings or the late 00s to late 10s Penguins, and it generally involves putting together a core of talent that starts out young together, grows over time, builds a bond that causes them not to blow the cap to smithereens (these days, not a concern for the whole Wings run, frex), and can churn the supporting cast in just the right ways to keep the window open when it would otherwise shut.

In a cap world, the only realistic way to do that is to find at least a triumvirate of stars (Kane/Toews/Keith, Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury, Stamkos/Hedman/Kucherov/Vasilevskiy, Kopitar/Doughty/Quick), leave yourself room to surround them with the right depth (the Blackhawks still had room for Sharp, Crawford, Seabrook, etc., the Pens had Staal, Kessel, Guentzel, various other people popping off here and there, the Lightning added various vets, the Kings didn't get there until they added Richards and Carter, etc.), and not make huge mistakes with your money (sorry, Edmonton, you're probably going to need to figure out the Nurse problem or McDrai are going to have to go off WAY more than they have.)

We won't be able to guarantee much of anything, but we can pretty safely say that anyone here over the age of 27 is not likely to be at their peak when the Michkov-era core is in place. We need to get Michkov's Robin, and probably two more players nearly as good as that player, before we can comfortably say we're on the right path to legitimate contention. If we try to move that window to one where our older players are still a major part of it, we're probably going to have no window at all. That's always been what I've wanted to see this team commit to, because there is only one true goal, and I don't see a better way to get there than setting Michkov's career arc as our north star, and making every decision align with that arc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I do get the sense he’s afraid to make a move because him & the organization can’t optically blame Fletcher anymore for a perceived unfavorable move like they could last offseason.

I think that’s in part why Frost hasn’t been traded yet for example.

This one I actually have a tiny bit of insight into.

The reason Frost is still here is as I understand Briere actually. Apparently he is a fan and I don't think he was particularly happy behind closed doors with Torts treatment of him to start the season. Heard that from multiple places now.

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
With Winnipeg always struggling to attract free agents I wonder if Farabee could be a fit there. He has term and is a manageable cap hit. Perfetti would be a target that could fit our timeline and Namestnikov would be a good target for someone to help usher Michkov into the NHL.

Something around Farabee for Perfetti + Namestnikov with minor pieces on either side to balance it out.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
And to be clear, I still wouldn’t have a problem with the Flyers trying to have it both ways: being competitive next season and building for the future. I don’t think these things need to be in full tension with one another, if you’re an opportunistic GM who is able to find young, available talent that can satisfy both objectives. I think re-signing Konecny could be OK, if the goal is to supplement your roster and use your surplus of young-ish, secondary assets to acquire a potential primary asset while he’s undervalued.

But if you’re not going to explore those options and, instead, keep the lineup essentially the exact same, then you are introducing tension between immediate competitiveness and long-term roster building. This appears to be what Briere is doing.

At that point, simply optimizing for the long-term would be better.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
As soon as you comprehend that Briere is Fletcher: The Legacy, everything clicks. He's just in a holding pattern instead of buying. What makes anyone confident Briere, when it's buying time (which might even be in 12 months), won't target his own Ristolainen and Hayes? Almost every player type he's targeted at the pro and amateur level has been problematic and superficial fit obsessed. His team building philosophies look woefully outdated and dull. He needs a map in understanding asset values.

The major voice in his ear is Flahr. Flahr's first job in the NHL in 1996 was under Fletcher. He spent 23 years with Fletcher across FOUR teams. I remember when Fletcher was fired, some report came out about Flahr being his own man. Bullshit. Briere comes across as the same collaborative stooge as Fletcher (I'm not discounting Lombardi or Murray being the key advisors). The trade/pick/player valuations look identical.
We went from #ChucklesTheSadClown to the #HaplessHobbit and nothing changed.

They got lucky and Michkov fell. If it had been Reinbacher or Leonard at 7, would there be any hope. They pass on elite potential like Buium because Andrae and take guys like Luchanko who have 2C ceilings.

We're at the start of a 5-7 year rebuild. They are banking everything on having a boatload of picks in the 2025 draft, but realistically, as Alex says, those players won't be key contributors at the NHL level until 2030. It takes time even for elite players to learn their way around the league.

Briere said yesterday they aren't aiming at the playoffs this year. Good. Let's hope they follow through with an actual rebuild plan this time, which starts with tanking this year for Hagens et al. Get the elite talent they'll need to be a Cup contender in 2029-32 contention window.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
We went from #ChucklesTheSadClown to the #HaplessHobbit and nothing changed.

They got lucky and Michkov fell. If it had been Reinbacher or Leonard at 7, would there be any hope. They pass on elite potential like Buium because Andrae and take guys like Luchanko who have 2C ceilings.

We're at the start of a 5-7 year rebuild. They are banking everything on having a boatload of picks in the 2025 draft, but realistically, as Alex says, those players won't be key contributors at the NHL level until 2030. It takes time even for elite players to learn their way around the league.

Briere said yesterday they aren't aiming at the playoffs this year. Good. Let's hope they follow through with an actual rebuild plan this time, which starts with tanking this year for Hagens et al. Get the elite talent they'll need to be a Cup contender in 2029-32 contention window.

It's crazy how far away we are from competing with 10 years of absolute pig slop behind us, so sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad