Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tippett-Couturier-Michkov
Farabee-Frost-Konecny
Foerster-Laughton-Brink
Cates-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauriers
Lycksell

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As soon as you comprehend that Briere is Fletcher: The Legacy, everything clicks. He's just in a holding pattern instead of buying. What makes anyone confident Briere, when it's buying time (which might even be in 12 months), won't target his own Ristolainen and Hayes? Almost every player type he's targeted at the pro and amateur level has been problematic and superficial fit obsessed. His team building philosophies look woefully outdated and dull. He needs a map in understanding asset values.

The major voice in his ear is Flahr. Flahr's first job in the NHL in 1996 was under Fletcher. He spent 23 years with Fletcher across FOUR teams. I remember when Fletcher was fired, some report came out about Flahr being his own man. Bullshit. Briere comes across as the same collaborative stooge as Fletcher (I'm not discounting Lombardi or Murray being the key advisors). The trade/pick/player valuations look identical.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
As soon as you comprehend that Briere is Fletcher: The Legacy, everything clicks. He's just in a holding pattern instead of buying. What makes anyone confident Briere, when it's buying time (which might even be in 12 months), won't target his own Ristolainen and Hayes? Almost every player type he's targeted at the pro and amateur level has been problematic and superficial fit obsessed. His team building philosophies look woefully outdated and dull. He needs a map in understanding asset values.

The major voice in his ear is Flahr. Flahr's first job in the NHL in 1996 was under Fletcher. He spent 23 years with Fletcher across FOUR teams. I remember when Fletcher was fired, some report came out about Flahr being his own man. Bullshit. Briere comes across as the same collaborative stooge as Fletcher (I'm not discounting Lombardi or Murray being the key advisors). The trade/pick/player valuations look identical.
Every decision we see Briere make is further proof that Michkov was exception and in general he's nearly identical to Fletcher in process and evaluation.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I do get the sense he’s afraid to make a move because him & the organization can’t optically blame Fletcher anymore for a perceived unfavorable move like they could last offseason.

I think that’s in part why Frost hasn’t been traded yet for example.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Danny said his "scouts believe next year's draft is top heavy." he then also said "we hope to compete for a playoff spot."

It's been a decade of trying to have their cake and eat it too. They've transmogrified into the most cowardly of teams in this new era. I think there's a very real chance of picking ~#12 again next year. But they avoided a possible top 5 talent this past year because of fit with AHL 2nd rounders, so there's no reason to believe they'll make the right choice in the future. But we'll get a report a week before the draft how desperately they want to trade up. Briere proudly admits to not wanting multiple players making $10MM, not wanting to have a fire sale, and wanting to compete for the playoffs. The Flyers are stuck in the doldrums because they believe wind and sails are immoral.

Every decision we see Briere make is further proof that Michkov was exception and in general he's nearly identical to Fletcher in process and evaluation.

Fletcher during TV duties last draft said they had Michkov #2 (or thereabouts) at the midseason ranking they did. Even that single wonderful thing would've likely happened under Fletcher.

Briere is doing what a child (which he is in GM form) does: look for positive reinforcement from the adults. "I drafted a bunch of 6'4 plugs, avoided star talent, spoke in cliches, and said my 10 Hail Tortorellas.....did I do well, Dad?" I doubt he has strong opinions on managing.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I think this year finally got it through my thick skull that even Tulsky wouldn’t have come close to fixing it. It would have been better. But the taste of doom would linger. He’d make appeasements. He would have to, even with the supposed front office flushing. The first job is to keep the job.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Transmogrifier_zap.png

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think this year finally got it through my thick skull that even Tulsky wouldn’t have come close to fixing it. It would have been better. But the taste of doom would linger. He’d make appeasements. He would have to, even with the supposed front office flushing. The first job is to keep the job.

I’m a Philadelphia Flyers fan & a Penn State football fan I’ve completely accepted that both of these organizations will always have a segment of the fan base & alumni that won’t let go of the past & don’t mind holding everybody else hostage with them.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’m a Philadelphia Flyers fan & a Penn State football fan I’ve completely accepted that both of these organizations will always have a segment of the fan base & alumni that won’t let go of the past & don’t mind holding everybody else hostage with them.

At least the Flyers aren't stuck with their nepo hire Jay. Good point. :laugh:

I can't believe Penn St is stuck with that guy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At least the Flyers aren't stuck with their nepo hire Jay. Good point. :laugh:

I can't believe Penn St is stuck with that guy.

Yeah at least there’s been some notable alumni that played under him & his father that have publicly bodied him over the years for trying to sabotage the program because he’s still mad over the way things went. So I think more people are aware of his agenda than before but he still has enough support in the right places I guess.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah at least there’s been some notable alumni that played under him & his father that have publicly bodied him over the years for trying to sabotage the program because he’s still mad over the way things went. So I think more people are aware of his agenda than before but he still has enough support in the right places I guess.

1*Irqbz57ypBnuGTuqmbkBXw.jpeg

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Lots of negativity in this thread. How do you guys even live with yourselves?
in reality..what is there to be positive about? MM and that's about it...the construction of the team is very meh...recall they said they were rebuilding..how they can't fall in love with a player then came out and said..nope..that was bullshit

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
in reality..what is there to be positive about? MM and that's about it...the construction of the team is very meh...recall they said they were rebuilding..how they can't fall in love with a player then came out and said..nope..that was bullshit
It’s funny because the core fans ate it up completely. The Flyers almost lost them but they tossed some buzzwords out there at them and boy was it a master class of gaslighting/propaganda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad