Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Contract update on Brink: Haven't started talking, don't expect issues.
Contract update on Zamula: Exploratory conversations, no urgency yet.
Instructions re: Criminal Defendant #1: None. NHL yet to provide guidance.
Ginning: Positive steps last 2 years, in the mix to break camp with Flyers next year.
UFAs: Staal not coming back, family reasons. They want Johnson to be Old Ben Kenobi this year instead of Staal.
Michkov update: Taking the 5th so as to not offend Putin
Kolosov update: Yeah, he's been homesick, it's been tougher to adjust than he expected, but DB doesn't think he'll head back to Russia or anything.
Couturier update: All good. Couts isn't going anywhere, Torts isn't going anywhere (subtext: so it better be all good, cause we're not doing anything about it if it's not.) Having a year back on ice likely to help.
Atkinson: What can we do with the cap? Lots to figure out there. (subtext: we're either trading or buying him out.)
Trade talks: Quiet on that front. Should pick up around the draft.
Did teams try to take advantage of you last year? Yeah, probably. Got what I wanted, though, so who cares?
Buy out Petersen? Yeah, that's in the mix.
Have you talked to Petersen's agent about that? Yeah.

lol they actually, truly, really want EJ. For culture. Because culture is more important than actually hockey ability.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
lol they actually, truly, really want EJ. For culture. Because culture is more important than actually hockey ability.

Was well worth the fourth rd pick (because Buffalo never would’ve settled for a 5th). Hopefully Jonesy and Danny can get a two year deal at a number that’s “fair and honorable,” representative of a player of his stature!

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Erik Johnson: "My body hurts. My soul aches. I had 1 assist in 67 games. It's time to leave this game."

Ftsspx1X0BUYZhg.png

Danny Briere: "So, here's the framework for the 1 year deal we discussed."

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The only reason I’m hoping they re-sign him is that when Drysdale/Fisto play all of 12 games between the 2 of them, playing EJ 20 minutes every game will all but assure a top 5 pick in 25.
Yeah honestly these are the moves we should be pushing for. The end of the season last year is what we all thought the entire season would like. We should be downgrading everywhere (except picks/prospects) for the next 2-3 seasons, even if Michkov comes over unless some other prospects exceed expectations and make big impacts, like if Bonk is a stud or Brink turns into a big time producer during that time period or whomever we get this year makes an impact. Otherwise, let it burn and run out the clock on the cap space issues. Obtain picks, prospects, or reclamation projects for anyone/everyone we can over basically 25 and hope we win the lottery once in the next two or three drafts and get a sure thing prospect.

People like to talk about how to build a championship team but it really comes down to luck. Michkov falling to 7 could be part of that luck if he plays the way we want. Getting the lottery balls to bounce our way during a strong draft year is another bit of luck we need. Having one of the 2,500 goalie prospects we drafted in the last few years turn into a legit 1A starter is another piece of the puzzle. Getting a 6th rounder that turns into an impact player and so forth and so on.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Yeah honestly these are the moves we should be pushing for. The end of the season last year is what we all thought the entire season would like. We should be downgrading everywhere (except picks/prospects) for the next 2-3 seasons, even if Michkov comes over unless some other prospects exceed expectations and make big impacts, like if Bonk is a stud or Brink turns into a big time producer during that time period or whomever we get this year makes an impact. Otherwise, let it burn and run out the clock on the cap space issues. Obtain picks, prospects, or reclamation projects for anyone/everyone we can over basically 25 and hope we win the lottery once in the next two or three drafts and get a sure thing prospect.

People like to talk about how to build a championship team but it really comes down to luck. Michkov falling to 7 could be part of that luck if he plays the way we want. Getting the lottery balls to bounce our way during a strong draft year is another bit of luck we need. Having one of the 2,500 goalie prospects we drafted in the last few years turn into a legit 1A starter is another piece of the puzzle. Getting a 6th rounder that turns into an impact player and so forth and so on.
It would just be nice if the roster downgrading was intentional instead of as a result of botched professional talent acquisition, you know?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It would just be nice if the roster downgrading was intentional instead of as a result of botched professional talent acquisition, you know?
Honestly I don't care. If we accidentally achieve our goal, great. If we do it deliberately, great. As long as the result is the same I do not care how we get there. I know a lot of people have tunnelvision on here when it comes to the Flyers compared to other organizations, but look at the Pens, Blackhawks, and majority of successful teams over the years. Very few of them followed a plan of tanking and reaped the benefits. Some teams just sucked at the right time. Some teams made good trades. Some teams hit home runs on late round picks. There is no one right way to build a team to win and what works for Florida may not work here. We see Edmonton being brutal cellar dwellers for years and only NOW are they getting things done and they are in danger of being swept by a team who just plain sucked for the majority of their existence. I don't think you can look at Florida and say, "yeah, that's how we need to build a team" or look at Edmonton and say, "that's it, that's what we need to do."

I could be reading it wrong but Florida looks to have four players that they actually drafted, and two of them were top 3. If I said the Flyers should try and build a team where we only have four players that we drafted and the rest were signed or acquired via trade I would get flamed beyond belief.

The Oilers on the other hand have 9 guys that were drafted in house, multiple being top three picks and one of them being this generation's Gretzky. That's the model most people here would want to follow but the Oilers don't get here without being complete and total garbage for years and years and having McDavid and Draisaitl be there during the years of sucktitude.

If the Flyers try to make a run and fail but it helps our draft position, great. If they intentionally tank, great. I really don't care as long as eventually we are in the thick of things.

Reactions: BiggE

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly I don't care. If we accidentally achieve our goal, great. If we do it deliberately, great. As long as the result is the same I do not care how we get there. I know a lot of people have tunnelvision on here when it comes to the Flyers compared to other organizations, but look at the Pens, Blackhawks, and majority of successful teams over the years. Very few of them followed a plan of tanking and reaped the benefits. Some teams just sucked at the right time. Some teams made good trades. Some teams hit home runs on late round picks. There is no one right way to build a team to win and what works for Florida may not work here. We see Edmonton being brutal cellar dwellers for years and only NOW are they getting things done and they are in danger of being swept by a team who just plain sucked for the majority of their existence. I don't think you can look at Florida and say, "yeah, that's how we need to build a team" or look at Edmonton and say, "that's it, that's what we need to do."

I could be reading it wrong but Florida looks to have four players that they actually drafted, and two of them were top 3. If I said the Flyers should try and build a team where we only have four players that we drafted and the rest were signed or acquired via trade I would get flamed beyond belief.

The Oilers on the other hand have 9 guys that were drafted in house, multiple being top three picks and one of them being this generation's Gretzky. That's the model most people here would want to follow but the Oilers don't get here without being complete and total garbage for years and years and having McDavid and Draisaitl be there during the years of sucktitude.

If the Flyers try to make a run and fail but it helps our draft position, great. If they intentionally tank, great. I really don't care as long as eventually we are in the thick of things.
If we end up with a top 3 goalie then all that we already have would likely be a ECF team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Problem is that if they're doing it accidentally, they're probably too incompetent to ever get over the hill

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Problem is that if they're doing it accidentally, they're probably too incompetent to ever get over the hill
Most likely, but that's where the luck and timing come in to play. Bad bounces or good bounces, injuries, trades, signings, lightning in a bottle, etc. is as big a factor as good or bad management/coaching/on-ice play.

Very rarely are the Cup Finals the teams we think they'll be at the start of the year. For instance nhl.com no one had Florida and only 3 people had Edm in the finals. The 4th Period was about the same. I'm sure if you look deeper you'll see that's how it is year in and year out.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Most likely, but that's where the luck and timing come in to play. Bad bounces or good bounces, injuries, trades, signings, lightning in a bottle, etc. is as big a factor as good or bad management/coaching/on-ice play.

Very rarely are the Cup Finals the teams we think they'll be at the start of the year. For instance nhl.com no one had Florida and only 3 people had Edm in the finals. The 4th Period was about the same. I'm sure if you look deeper you'll see that's how it is year in and year out.

The odds of all those things coming together to overcome this team's shit management have to be akin to winning the Powerball.

Florida is a good team even if they weren't a favorite. Edmonton has the best player since Lemieux left the game. That's not "getting lucky." The Flyers have nothing, and aren't trying to even get anything.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Erik Johnson didn’t even stick around for exit meetings. Dude split asap
Did not know that. That’s not cool. Even if he hadn’t been with the team that long, there are things that he could answer for the betterment of the organization. I would not bring him back this fall since he has nothing to offer to the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad