Value of: These shutdown defenders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Have you even seen him play? I`m pretty sure 95% of HF consider him underpayed for what he brings. He is essentially the same player as Oleksiak, just makes 1/3 of the salary. He has played on 1-3rd pairings in his short career. And I dont think he gets traded - thats because Dallas see more value in him than a 2nd...

He is clearly a 3rd pairing Dman. He averages the 5th most ice time of all Stars Dmen and 7th most at 5 on 5 and there's a huge gap between the top 4 and the rest of the D.

I dont know why you have such a weird obsession with him but you are just completely off base in here. Not even worth responding to anymore.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Eh, when guys like Zadorov gets $3.75 and Ian Cole get $2.9 mil it seems like he took an underpayment.

Those guys have 400+ and 600+ games under their belt to Hakanpaa's 62, teams will always pay more when they can be more sure about what they're getting.

A lot of mistakes have been made signing UFAs with short track records. You throw big money at a Hakanpaa and could find yourself stuck with a Jeff Finger. Ducks fans saw it first hand with Clayton Stoner as well. Solid bottom pairing D who would have been fine at the right price, but was heavily overvalued based on a short window of performance.

It's easy to see that Hakanpaa is worth more than his contract in hindsight but I think it's perfectly understandable why teams didn't offer more at the time.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Those guys have 400+ and 600+ games under their belt to Hakanpaa's 62, teams will always pay more when they can be more sure about what they're getting.

A lot of mistakes have been made signing UFAs with short track records. You throw big money at a Hakanpaa and could find yourself stuck with a Jeff Finger. Ducks fans saw it first hand with Clayton Stoner as well. Solid bottom pairing D who would have been fine at the right price, but was heavily overvalued based on a short window of performance.

It's easy to see that Hakanpaa is worth more than his contract in hindsight but I think it's perfectly understandable why teams didn't offer more at the time.

Eh, Carolina gave up the equivalent of a 2nd/3rd for Hakanpaa as a rental and he performed well. I get that GMs prefer certainty, but both Cole and Z aren't that good, why pay a premium for that?

I'm not saying hand him a 4 x 3.25 like Stoner, but nobody even offered him a 2 x $2 mil?

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Soucy is a perfect fit for teams looking at Chiarot. Drury should’ve acquire him over signing Nemeth. Guy can play either side and would be perfected pairing with Nils or Jones as he would be stay at home defender
What’s his cap hit?

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Mayfield and Manson could get a return from LA that looks like: C prospect + 2/3rd.

Hakanpaa, Lyubushkin and Soucy would get returns of 4th/5th round picks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Soucy is good for 25 pts. if he gets a regular shift (which the Kraken couldn't figure out for the first while). More if he gets PP TOI, or is playing # 4 on a good team. Highly underrated. He is not some big, gawky stiff. SEA would be idiots to trade him for anything less than a 2nd + prospect, or a late 1st.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Soucy is good for 25 pts. if he gets a regular shift (which the Kraken couldn't figure out for the first while). More if he gets PP TOI, or is playing # 4 on a good team. Highly underrated. He is not some big, gawky stiff. SEA would be idiots to trade him for anything less than a 2nd + prospect, or a late 1st.
This is exactly where I am at with Soucy's value. Hakstol actually had Soucy as a part of the defensive musical chairs that was being played early in the season. He should always have been part of that top-4 D. Rotate Lauzon, Borgen and Fleury for the bottom-pairing but why Soucy?

Plus, if the Kraken end up trading Gio, it would not be a bad idea to keep Soucy around UNLESS you are getting an offer that essentially forces your hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad