Value of: These shutdown defenders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Just looking to guage value on these shutdown RD defenders.

Mayfield - 1.45 million ufa 2023

Hakanpaa - 1.5 million ufa 2024

Soucy - 2.75 million ufa 2023

Manson - 4.1 million ufa 2022

Lyubushkin 1.35 million ufa 2022

All of these defensemen are big shutdown defenders who could move at the deadline, with some more likely then others. What are each of their values and maybe your reason why. Thank you to everyone who views and participates.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Hakanpaa is very unlikely to get moved unless it's an overpayment. More valuable to the Stars than what he'd likely get in return as part of a realistic trade. Plus he signed a 3 year deal here at a great price.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My guess:

Mayfield - 2nd + B Prospect

Hakanpaa - 2nd(Mayfield is better but Hakanpaa has an extra year on his deal)

Soucy - Maybe a 3rd? Think he's paid too much for what he brings personally

Manson - 2nd + C Prospect

Lyubushkin - 5th rounder, maybe a late 4th.

Mayfield is the best of the bunch.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My guess:

How is Soucy paid too much? He brings the most offense of this group, he's not really a shutdown D. He can play that role but his offensive game is sneaky good. He's definitely worth more than a 3rd, he should have the most or near the most value of all these defenseman.

Mayfield hits the least and is a turnover machine in this group, not sure why he's got the most value besides having a cheap contract. Manson being a rental and having the highest cap hit might hurt his value. Hakanpaa and Lyubushkin are good shutdown D but they have some limits to their game so the value should be a little lower. Soucy is the most well rounded and has a good contract.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Cant see it. Hakanpää is a stud in his own zone. He is also 6`7" and hits. Has 91 on the year. He is also a +5 on Dallas. He wont score you many points, but he sure will prevent opposition from dooing it too.
BTW - I cant see any team trading cheap shutdown D:s with good contracts for late 2nd:s. Why would they? If you are contending and want players like theese on contract for 2-3yrs, it starts with a 1st for sure.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Cant see it. Hakanpää is a stud in his own zone. He is also 6`7" and hits. Has 91 on the year. He is also a +5 on Dallas. He wont score you many points, but he sure will prevent opposition from dooing it too.
BTW - I cant see any team trading cheap shutdown D:s with good contracts for late 2nd:s. Why would they? If you are contending and want players like theese on contract for 2-3yrs, it starts with a 1st for sure.

Because they're not actually that good? Pretty straightforward. All of these guys outside of Mayfield are 5/6 level Dmen and Mayfield is just a 4 himself. When was the last time a bottom pairing Defensive Dman returned a 1st round pick?

Not to mention... There's only so many teams that are buying and only so many 1st round picks available. This year in particular the market is going to be completely saturated with sellers. We already know of 10 teams that are going to sell this year and by the deadline that number is probably 12-13.

And when you already have names like Joe Pavelski, JT Miller, Claude Giroux, Thomas Hertl, John Klingberg.... They're all likely to be dealt between now and trade deadline day and they will all fetch 1st rounders before any of those Dmen. I could do up another list 0f 10 Defensive Dmen that will be available at the deadline as well that are similar to the names given by the OP. None of them are fetching 1st round picks.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
None of them are fetching 1st round picks.

You do know that cap is pretty caluable theese days. A reliable CHEAP stay-at-home D, with 2 more years on his contract is of value. The guys you listed are UFA:s. Hakanpää, for example, is underpayed by 1-1,5M for what he brings and signed until 2024. Teams up against the cap see value in that and. He wont be moved for a 2nd. Teams like Oilers, Avs, Florida could really use a defensive D with size. He also brings some grit.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You do know that cap is pretty caluable theese days. A reliable CHEAP stay-at-home D, with 2 more years on his contract is of value. The guys you listed are UFA:s. Hakanpää, for example, is underpayed by 1-1,5M for what he brings and signed until 2024. Teams up against the cap see value in that and. He wont be moved for a 2nd. Teams like Oilers, Avs, Florida could really use a defensive D with size. He also brings some grit.

He's not underpaid at all :laugh:

He's a 5/6 Dman. They all make anywhere from ~1-2M.

He's not going to fetch a 1st round pick. 0% chance. The Stars probably wont trade him but it is pure delusion to think he gets a 1st.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hakanpaa is very unlikely to get moved unless it's an overpayment. More valuable to the Stars than what he'd likely get in return as part of a realistic trade. Plus he signed a 3 year deal here at a great price.

I'm still surprised he took such a small deal for basically the rest of his prime.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He's not underpaid at all :laugh:

He's a 5/6 Dman. They all make anywhere from ~1-2M.

He's not going to fetch a 1st round pick. 0% chance. The Stars probably wont trade him but it is pure delusion to think he gets a 1st.

Have you even seen him play? I`m pretty sure 95% of HF consider him underpayed for what he brings. He is essentially the same player as Oleksiak, just makes 1/3 of the salary. He has played on 1-3rd pairings in his short career. And I dont think he gets traded - thats because Dallas see more value in him than a 2nd...

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
My guess:

Soucy is a perfect fit for teams looking at Chiarot. Drury should’ve acquire him over signing Nemeth. Guy can play either side and would be perfected pairing with Nils or Jones as he would be stay at home defender

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
For a 29 year old to hit free agency with only 62 career games played, and end up with a three year deal...I think he did pretty well for himself.

Well, he actually has played a lot better than the $-amount on the paper. He obviously got the deal based on his play. I dont quite understand this "he did pretty well for himself"? Same caliber players get atleast the double amount in free agency.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Well, he actually has played a lot better than the $-amount on the paper. He obviously got the deal based on his play. I dont quite understand this "he did pretty well for himself"? Same caliber players get atleast the double amount in free agency.

29 year olds with less than a full seasons worth of NHL games, just simply don't have the leverage to command a larger contract. I don't think you'll find many examples to the contrary. Hakanpaa was a similar situation to Bunting - someone was going to get them for a bargain because no one was going to pay much due to lack of track record.

Hakanpaa signed for the vet minimum on a one year deal the off season prior. Played well enough to earn a 100% raise and a three year guarantee.

In hindsight, sure he could have earned more this off season, had he gambled on himself by taking a one year deal again. However, the 4.5M total he got from the Stars for three years, is probably more than he would make in his entire career total, had he struggled this year and failed to earn a one way deal thereafter.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Lou isn’t moving Mayfield for anything short of an overpayment. His contract is a huge bonus and losing him (even with the occasional bad penalty) puts the Islanders in a bigger hole moving forward.

It would take way more than he's worth in terms of assets to pry him away, which is why it won't happen.

Reactions: miscs75

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
For a 29 year old to hit free agency with only 62 career games played, and end up with a three year deal...I think he did pretty well for himself.

Eh, when guys like Zadorov gets $3.75 and Ian Cole get $2.9 mil it seems like he took an underpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad