Therrien Part IV - This Time, It's Personal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
We are first in the east .there is no debate.just trolls.

Yes one line trolls.

Stop posting if you only wanna sing around a camp fire.

Things arent perfect with the team, the board is to discuss them as well as cheer for it.

You can do both. What kills the board is sarcastic remarks. Your response was perfect description of a snide remark bringing zero value

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
For the collectors out there :

1355045956043_ORIGINAL.jpg

When I saw the pic at first I thought it was Jeff Foxworthy. :laugh:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Hitchcock, Vigneault, Babcock all come to mind off the top of my head as good coaches. I haven't googled them, haven't looked at their stats but they are coaches that always seem to get something out of their teams.

How would I define a coach as being good? I'd say he gets the most out of his team. He gets bad teams to play better than they should and gets good teams to play great. I look at the Devils over the past few seasons. Terrible over the hill roster but they always play a system that keeps things close for them. Slowly but surely they continue to get weaker and every year they get further from the playoffs, but I wouldn't expect that roster to make it. At least they are playing a good system and getting the most they can out of that lineup.

Great post Lafleurs Guy. First time in a long time I get to compliment you for a post.

Without consciously realizing it, you just described Therrien.

Look at our list of forwards.

AHL callups or rookies. De la Rose, Sekac, Thomas, Andrighetto.

Average to below average forwards (take your pick). Bournival, Malhotra, Prust, Desharnais, Eller, Weise, Parenteau.

Very good forwards Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher.

Now look at our D.

Rookie D. Beaulieu.

Average to below average D (take your pick). Emelin, Gilbert, Gonchar (age factor), Weaver.

Very good D. Subban, Markov.

And then there is Carey Price backed by Tokarski.

The fans should be damn thankful that the Habs are winning games by Therrien "getting the most out of his team".

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Great post Lafleurs Guy. First time in a long time I get to compliment you for a post.

Average to below average forwards (take your pick). Bournival, Malhotra, Prust, Desharnais, Eller, Weise, Parenteau.

Now look at our D.

Rookie D. Beaulieu.

Average to below average D (take your pick). Emelin, Gilbert, Gonchar (age factor), Weaver.

The fans should be damn thankful that the Habs are winning games by Therrien "getting the most out of his team".

We're coming to a beautiful synthesis... but would you not also agree:

Carey Price is THE BEST keeper in the league.
Pacioretty is a top10 winger right now.
Subban is a top5 defenseman.
Markov a top20 defenseman.

That's some seriously elite talent right there.

Beyond that, yeah that's the conclusion I've come to as well - Therrien isn't as bad a detriment as I figured he was, we win games and the roster is motivated and driven every game. Can't ask for much more.

I really want to see Galchenyuk at centre though, it's killing me.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Now look at our D.

Rookie D. Beaulieu.

LOL so after a boatload of posts by LG about advanced stats, he defines a good coach by the good old eye test:sarcasm:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Beyond that, yeah that's the conclusion I've come to as well - Therrien isn't as bad a detriment as I figured he was, we win games and the roster is motivated and driven every game. Can't ask for much more.

But all the good team have top end talent as the Habs do - some even more like the Hawks. The rest of our lineup is still bottom half.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

No way can anyone disagree with what you said and I bolded.

Regarding Chucky at center, the Habs are 2 wingers brought here by Bergevin (sooner rather than later) away from that becoming a reality.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Now look at our D.

Rookie D. Beaulieu.

it's MT himself who decided to use two forwards you describe as average/beloe avg. on the 1st line you know...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
it's MT himself who decided to use two forwards you describe as average/beloe avg. on the 1st line you know...

OK.

Lets do it your way. Put Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Plekanec on one line. Do you think teams' defenses would not be able to stop our one offensive line?

That's the problem that you and LG omit (the more I read yours and his posts, I think its intentional for the fun and games) in your postings. You can rearrange the forwards however you want and the offensive output will not change. The Habs are lacking high end talent at forward to have two complete offensively powerful lines.

Yes one line trolls.

You can do both. What kills the board is sarcastic remarks. Your response was perfect description of a snide remark bringing zero value

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
LOL so after a boatload of posts by LG about advanced stats, he defines a good coach by the good old eye test:sarcasm:
Don't take potshots at a good poster. LG is a dedicated fan and older than most of us (a lot older, like really really older) - he wants to see a consistent winner as much as anyone.

And he's 100% not-wrong, the Therrien-Habs play a pretty crappy, grinding-it-out system. Our offensive breakout has very little room to maneuver due to the chip-and-chase and our D lets in too many shots for a supposedly "grinding" system.

No way can anyone disagree with what you said and I bolded.

Regarding Chucky at center, the Habs are 2 wingers brought here by Bergevin (sooner rather than later) away from that becoming a reality.
Agreed!

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don't take potshots at a good poster. LG is a dedicated fan and older than most of us (a lot older, like really really older) - he wants to see a consistent winner as much as anyone.

And he's 100% not-wrong, the Therrien-Habs play a pretty crappy, grinding-it-out system. Our offensive breakout has very little room to maneuver due to the chip-and-chase and our D lets in too many shots for a supposedly "grinding" system.

I'm in my fifties - I'm allowed to take pot shots ;)

As for LG, I put him on my ignore list a couple of month ago and with my beginning stages of Alzheimer I don't remember how to reverse it....but I still get to read his "dedication" through replies.

BTW - I agree he's not 100% wrong - unfortunately he thinks he's 100% right - no grey area and somewhat bullies everyone around here.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

As for LG, I put him on my ignore list a couple of month ago and with my beginning stages of Alzheimer I don't remember how to reverse it....but I still get to read his "dedication" through replies.

BTW - I agree he's not 100% wrong - unfortunately he thinks he's 100% right - no grey area and somewhat bullies everyone around here.
Ignoring thoughts and rhetoric that you disagree with is a sure way to avoid change.

I'm pretty sure LG is in his mid-to-late 80s by the way, probably around 87.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...there are a few of them on both sides of this debate...you can't even attempt to discuss middle-ground around here...;)

Pricef*

Now look at our D.

Rookie D. Beaulieu.

Great post.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ignoring thoughts and rhetoric that you disagree with is a sure way to avoid change.

I'm pretty sure LG is in his mid-to-late 80s by the way, probably around 87.

To your first point - it's not as if I ignore all MT haters - his rhetoric was just too painful....

As for your second point, that would explain much ;)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
...there are a few of them on both sides of this debate...you can't even attempt to discuss middle-ground around here...;)

I would be surprised to find a single poster here who thinks that Therrien is without flaws.

I used to be on Therrien's case a lot. However, I read the opinions of a lot of people here who know and understand a lot about hockey. I dislike (personal opinion) relying on the dump and chase. It was pointed out that with our "slower" than average corps of DMen, the dump and chase limits our exposure to odd man breakaways at the blue line.

There are a lot of pearls to be harvested here and there on this Forum. And that is what makes this place fun to read. What hurts this forum is the "I am right at all costs" mentality that seems to be prevalent from the Therrien bashers.....even as the Habs sit on top of the East.

Pricef*

I would be surprised to find a single poster here who thinks that Therrien is without flaws.

I used to be on Therrien's case a lot. However, I read the opinions of a lot of people here who know and understand a lot about hockey. I dislike (personal opinion) relying on the dump and chase. It was pointed out that with our "slower" than average corps of DMen, the dump and chase limits our exposure to odd man breakaways at the blue line.

There are a lot of pearls to be harvested here and there on this Forum. And that is what makes this place fun to read. What hurts this forum is the "I am right at all costs" mentality that seems to be prevalent from the Therrien bashers.....even as the Habs sit on top of the East.

And that's what gets me as well. That and calling an NHL coach an idiot. Way over the top.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...you should spend some time rereading the plethora of smartass, sarcastic, "you're an idiot cuz I'm right", etc. posts from both sides because they're not hard to find...both sides of this debate have their "lunatic fringe" posters...if you can't see them, you're not looking or trying not to...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
:laugh:

People on here make ridiculous claims about Therrien's impact, and when called on to explain the implications of those grandiose claims, cry out "strawman"...fallback, indeed.

People on here have literally stated that "of course having a Vezina level goaltender will help a coach!!" and then will immediately claim that, despite having just mentioned the boost Carey Price provides, the credit ascribed to Therrien should in no way be diminished :huh:

I'd like an actual breakdown of Therrien's supposed positives, divorced from factors clearly attributable to phenomenal goaltending. I find it extremely convenient that the primary outcome MT gets credit for (our record) is one clearly linked to goaltending, whereas the ones he's absolved of (offense, time on attack, breakout strategy) are all ones where goaltending can't help out...which is pure coincidence, I'm sure.

Does the the input of Toews and Kane take away from Quenneville's contribution or Datsyuk & Zetterburg from Babcock?

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
...you should spend some time rereading the plethora of smartass, sarcastic, "you're an idiot cuz I'm right", etc. posts from both sides because they're not hard to find...both sides of this debate have their "lunatic fringe" posters...if you can't see them, you're not looking or trying not to...

Classic false equivalence response....

I cannot name one poster that thinks MT is a great coach.

I can name many who think he's a idiot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
OK.

Lets do it your way. Put Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Plekanec on one line. Do you think teams' defenses would not be able to stop our one offensive line?

That's the problem that you and LG omit (the more I read yours and his posts, I think its intentional for the fun and games) in your postings. You can rearrange the forwards however you want and the offensive output will not change. The Habs are lacking high end talent at forward to have two complete offensively powerful lines.

Why put all three together?
Why not Plek-Max and put EGG line as the 2nd one?
Would the offensive output be different? Maybe not, but that's likely because of the way we play not who we play. There's no reason for us to be a bottom tier possession or shots team.

We have a good team. Stop trying to put it down in order to pump Therrien's tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad