Post-Game Talk: Their Lone Star vs. Our Three Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Adam Vingan ‏@AdamVingan 4m4 minutes ago
Shea Weber said Predators do video study on 3-on-3 and have changed its systematic approach from earlier in the season. Obv., still 1-9.

Video study? How about some practice.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I guess the good news is there is no 3 on 3 (or shootout) in the playoffs.

I know I am in the vast minority on this board but if we get goaltending like we got from Hutton tonight we absolutely are capable of beating Dallas in a series.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Shea Weber said Predators do video study on 3-on-3 and have changed its systematic approach from earlier in the season. Obv., still 1-9.

enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu

Video study of other teams easily handling us? That video study? How many times did we attempt the ole 1 on 3 tonight? Did we ever manage to cycle? At all?

The night Ekholm won it in OT was a mistake or something.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Why was a change for Fil not executed?? He'd been on the ice a good while and when nobody came over after he attempted to change he realized he had to try and jump back in....which is when he fell. That's inexcusable to me.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
From Vingan....

Shea Weber on losing OT play: "That was a (line) change. Fil came to the bench and for whatever reason, no one was ready to go."

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I guess the good news is there is no 3 on 3 (or shootout) in the playoffs.

I know I am in the vast minority on this board but if we get goaltending like we got from Hutton tonight we absolutely are capable of beating Dallas in a series.
I'm honestly with you on that.
Why was a change for Fil not executed?? He'd been on the ice a good while and when nobody came over after he attempted to change he realized he had to try and jump back in....which is when he fell. That's inexcusable to me.
Probably because we make sure we have no clue what we're doing in 3 on 3

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I had never before seen such a stark difference between two teams as I saw in that OT. The Preds played franticly, looked disorganized, forced plays, tried to cycle and tried to make 1-on-1, 1-on-2 and even 1-on-3 moves, whereas the Stars played calmly and smoothly, easily set up in the zone, made safe passes to open teammates and, generally, played keep-away from the Preds. The former was a perfect example of what not to do in 3-on-3 OT, while the latter was a perfect example of what to do.

It's clear that the Preds still don't have a clue how to play 3-on-3. That was excusable in October and, maybe, November, but it's simply inexcusable now. Most across the NHL, including fans, have a pretty good idea by now how to be successful in 3-on-3. If the Preds were just having trouble executing or lacked the talent to be successful with it, it'd be more understandable, but they're not even trying to play 3-on-3 the right way, which suggests that they don't even know what that is.

We can get upset with the players, but this is really on the coaching staff. It's on them to impress upon the players the importance of safe plays and playing keep-away. I don't think that this staff is doing that, but, even if they are, it's their responsibility to get after the players for not doing it. If Neal doesn't follow your instruction and does 1-on-3 moves in OT, anyways, then he shouldn't get to play OT. If Forsberg is also not going to stop trying to beat defenders, then he shouldn't play OT, either. That may sound crazy, but it'd be better to have worse players, even bottom-6 players, who follow directions and play 3-on-3 the right way than to keep having your star players playing it the wrong way (which, as we see, gets you a 1-10 record).

Last edited:

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
A big issue is we play a zone type defense in overtime instead of everybody getting their own guy.

Which in turn gives the other team all kinds of time & space which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you want 3v3. That's why Dallas had no issue setting up & making passes in the O zone because we bunch up & treat it as if we're on a freaking penalty kill.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
And I really really really wish someone would explain to me why we started with Ekholm & Ellis on the ice in OT when the emphasis 3v3 is speed & skill.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
That was quite a game, but F the luck of this team.

Carter Hutton. :amazed:

We've had $*** for luck all year -
And it continues tonight.

--------------------------
It made no sense. Forsberg drives to near the blue line, but needs a change, so he drops it off and goes to the bench. I can't fathom how we couldn't make the change in the time the transition occurred. Also, given the way he fell, it's like he got halfway into the bench, no one knew who was supposed to go on next, he saw the puck get stolen, and then scrambled to just get back into the play.

I could be crazy; have not rewatched the play.

From Vingan....

Shea Weber on losing OT play: "That was a (line) change. Fil came to the bench and for whatever reason, no one was ready to go."

On the replay from the camera over the penalty box, as Forsberg falls down, you can see someone trying to come on the ice but was jumping back on the bench. I couldn't see who it was. It's hard to tell if Forsberg just turned around or if the bench player was really late trying to make a change.

Watching the highlights on On The Fly, the Dallas announcer says we almost get caught with too many men. That makes it sound like our guy was ready to make a change, but then Forsberg turned back towards the play.

Edit: seeing it again, it actually looks like 2 guys try to jump on the ice. Then both jump back to the bench seeing the other jump on the ice, then Forsberg sees both jump back off so he tries to quickly turn back to the play. Which leads to him falling, and you know the rest.

But you know, of course Forsberg fell, leading to a 3-on-1. But then , wow!, Hutton makes the big save. And OF COURSE the rebound goes RIGHT TO Seguin who makes a pass under Josi's stick and Josi can't swat at the rebound and the Dallas player had a wide open net.

Last edited:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
We had a bad change earlier, too, where we had too many men on for a bit cause 2 guys jumped on - and another where we were slow getting on when we had the puck in their zone playing 2 on 3. Of course, We had our 2nd rush at them and Dallas changed with their guy a good 15 ft from the bench and the new guy jumping on at center ice to keep us from the odd-man.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'd suggest a new strategy.. we should commit a 5 minute major at the end of regulation. That way we are playing 3 on 4 the whole OT and at least we aren't even trying to score, just play good D and hope to get to a shootout.

(gotta work better than what we've been doing, right?)

:sarcasm:

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
A big issue is we play a zone type defense in overtime instead of everybody getting their own guy.

Which in turn gives the other team all kinds of time & space which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you want 3v3. That's why Dallas had no issue setting up & making passes in the O zone because we bunch up & treat it as if we're on a freaking penalty kill.

IMO they started doing that because our players were getting torched playing man. Either the opposing player would just blow by them, or inevitably two players would chase the same opposing player, leaving someone wide open. The first game they switched to zone was the only 3-3 they won, so they stayed with it.

I've been meaning to bring this up, but to my untrained, novice eye our players look sooooo slow at times compared to most of our opposition. The only players that look like they have decent wheels are Smith, Aardvark, and Josi.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I was able to catch the first period. It was one of the best periods I've seen the Preds play since becoming a fan. They looked fantastic. It's a shame we were only able to get a goal.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Hutton deserves another start. I will be stunned if its not Rinne who goes next though.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

You can't man up in the 3 on 3. Guys are too fast and too smart. They can use officials and themselves as picks and accelerate right around a guy like he is a road cone.

The teams main problem is pressing and then giving up an odd man rush. How many of our OT games have ended with 3 of our guys involved in the play? I would bet zero. We seem to always press 2 down low and force something and it goes 200 feet the other way in 2 seconds and we are gassed and the little red light goes off.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
And I really really really wish someone would explain to me why we started with Ekholm & Ellis on the ice in OT when the emphasis 3v3 is speed & skill.

Because they rolled out Benn, Klingberg and Seguin. As soon as we won the faceoff, Forsberg hopped over the boards. In the event of a lost faceoff, it makes more sense to have the 2 dmen out there vs what may be the best forward duo in the league.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, mine and Abaddon's winning luck finally ran out. I knew it was probably tempting the hockey fates when he made a big deal about it on Facebook after the last game, which was a blowout for most of it. At least our point streak holds.

Every time prior that we sat together, going back to 2003! we'd won (at least that is what he said--I don't remember all of them like he does).

Steve Sullivan's first game, the game against Detroit where all the players ended up in the penalty box, the second home playoff game--we sat together for all those and many more. It's been a good run.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I'd suggest a new strategy.. we should commit a 5 minute major at the end of regulation. That way we are playing 3 on 4 the whole OT and at least we aren't even trying to score, just play good D and hope to get to a shootout.

(gotta work better than what we've been doing, right?)

:sarcasm:

Given we're 1-9? in the 3 on 3, it really can't get much worse trying 3 on 4.

And lots of hand-wringing, but I really enjoyed the game. Would have loved the 2 points, but DAL is a superior team right now flat out. Hutton is the only reason we made it to OT. Though Forsberg had a Grade A chance to win it with ~2-3 mins left.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Definitely thought it was one of the best games I've seen in a while. Did all our guys play like cup winners...? of course not. but given the opponent and our back-up goalie (who is playing great right now) I won't be too upset with an OTL. Definitely can't put the loss or the losing goal on Carter's shoulders.

but the coaches have to get this 3-3 thing figured out. I put the losing goal squarely on them and that botched line change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad