OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Re-listening to Voyager made me think of these guys. Found both bands at the same time. These guys have been nowhere near as active though.

Also...another Swedish band. lol.

• Love
Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Re-listening to Voyager made me think of these guys. Found both bands at the same time. These guys have been nowhere near as active though.

Also...another Swedish band. lol.

You sure have a thing for the Swedish music scene. How come? Is it the melancholy or the musicianship? I'm just curious how an american dude like you can like our unknown bands as much as you do.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
You sure have a thing for the Swedish music scene. How come? Is it the melancholy or the musicianship? I'm just curious how an american dude like you can like our unknown bands as much as you do.
I literally search for new music ALL the time. One band leads to the next a lot of times. I hear a song I like and start digging into their back catalog. Read interviews, etc. Lot of times these guys will do projects with other bands or collabs or whatever. Or, the YT video at the end will suggest something. I'll give it a listen, etc. The US hard rock / metal scene died years ago. So you have to really dig to find stuff., Back when I used to use Winamp all the time there were a bunch of really great streaming stations from overseas. A song would play and I'd dig into that band. Sweden just happens to have a metric f**kton of really great bands I've found over the years. Amazon music also has a suggested bands area at the bottom. I'll go through the list and see if there is anything good there.
1718936531964.png

I've just been into music my entire life. I listen to it almost all the time. I do a lot of driving for the job I work. Sometimes those rides are 30-60 minutes. Music. I drive out to my dad's place in Wisconsin. That's a 2 1/2 hour drive. Music the whole way. If I'm at home, I'm either practicing or playing one of my guitars. Covering songs or working on my own (about as slow a process as you can imagine, lol). And if I'm not doing that, I'm trying to find and listen to new stuff. Music (hard rock, prog, punk, metal, classical, funk, blues, etc) has got me through any of the rough garbage in my life.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I had no idea they'd gotten as much attention as they have. I started listening to them back when 'I Am the Revolution' came out. Back when YT used to have a much better music algorithm and would just keep playing really good new stuff in the same style. They for some reason kind of faded out of my rotation shortly after 'V' came out. From what I can figure is they kind of blew up with that album. Ended up on Eurovision at one point even. Going back and listening to the stuff I missed of theirs over the past 10 years. Solberg really, really blends well with them on that song.
V was a fantastic album

Reactions: Sweetnut and MK9

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Speaking for myself, I was first introduced to the harder side of rock/metal with the melodeath bands out of Gothenburg. I don't think it's necessarily a Swedish thing, but man, so many of the bands I've listened to and loved for the last 30 years have come out of Sweden. Must be in the water or something. Minnesota had a killer local band scene 20 years ago, but it's kind of dried up.

• Love
Reactions: Sweetnut and MK9

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I don't care how sacrilegious this sounds, but even as massive of a Dream Theater fan as I am, I like LaBrie's first 3 solo albums even better than my fav DT album (Awake). Just...(much) heavier and feels more song driven than just technical splooge playing all over, lol. Peter Wildoer is the drummer / scream vox.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I literally search for new music ALL the time. One band leads to the next a lot of times. I hear a song I like and start digging into their back catalog. Read interviews, etc. Lot of times these guys will do projects with other bands or collabs or whatever. Or, the YT video at the end will suggest something. I'll give it a listen, etc. The US hard rock / metal scene died years ago. So you have to really dig to find stuff., Back when I used to use Winamp all the time there were a bunch of really great streaming stations from overseas. A song would play and I'd dig into that band. Sweden just happens to have a metric f**kton of really great bands I've found over the years. Amazon music also has a suggested bands area at the bottom. I'll go through the list and see if there is anything good there.
View attachment 885021

I've just been into music my entire life. I listen to it almost all the time. I do a lot of driving for the job I work. Sometimes those rides are 30-60 minutes. Music. I drive out to my dad's place in Wisconsin. That's a 2 1/2 hour drive. Music the whole way. If I'm at home, I'm either practicing or playing one of my guitars. Covering songs or working on my own (about as slow a process as you can imagine, lol). And if I'm not doing that, I'm trying to find and listen to new stuff. Music (hard rock, prog, punk, metal, classical, funk, blues, etc) has got me through any of the rough garbage in my life.
Back in the days, we used to trade cassette tapes and travel to nearby towns and villages to meet up with our peers and arrange our own concerts. Nowadays you can just follow the alogrithms of Youtube. For us old school 50+ dudes, the new technology sometimes is a gift from the gods.

I try hard to not hijack this thread, but I have so many stories to tell from our local scene and the world famous recording studio located in my town, run by one of my old friends. If you're interested in some of these stories, just let me know.

Really appreciate your taste of music, and your kind manners.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Back in the days, we used to trade cassette tapes and travel to nearby towns and villages to meet up with our peers and arrange our own concerts. Nowadays you can just follow the alogrithms of Youtube. For us old school 50+ dudes, the new technology sometimes is a gift from the gods.

I try hard to not hijack this thread, but I have so many stories to tell from our local scene and the world famous recording studio located in my town, run by one of my old friends. If you're interested in some of these stories, just let me know.

Really appreciate your taste of music, and your kind manners.
Without a doubt. Being a guitar player, YT is a godsend. These kids have Z-E-R-O idea how easy they have it. You can find tabs, lessons or playthroughs of almost any song you could ever think of. We had to sit there and play/rewind songs over and over and over again to "maybe" figure it out all by ear.

Pretty sure you, me and Soldier13Fox have hijacked this thread to the nth degree. I'm certain no one else in the Wild subforum gives a even a fraction of a shit what goes on in here anymore. :laugh: So, I can only speak for myself, but I can't imagine Soldier13Fox would have any issues with the stories you have either.

That's a new one. lol! Pretty sure that probably isn't anyone's impression of me. But, thank you. I'm happy to take it as a first.

• Love

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Without a doubt. Being a guitar player, YT is a godsend. These kids have Z-E-R-O idea how easy they have it. You can find tabs, lessons or playthroughs of almost any song you could ever think of. We had to sit there and play/rewind songs over and over and over again to "maybe" figure it out all by ear.

Pretty sure you, me and Soldier13Fox have hijacked this thread to the nth degree. I'm certain no one else in the Wild subforum gives a even a fraction of a shit what goes on in here anymore. :laugh: So, I can only speak for myself, but I can't imagine Soldier13Fox would have any issues with the stories you have either.

That's a new one. lol! Pretty sure that probably isn't anyone's impression of me. But, thank you. I'm happy to take it as a first.
Nope I love (and am jealous of) @Sweetnut stories!

• Love

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Edit Nope, changed my mind. Delicate and light Alcest isn't my favorite version of the band. But I like this all the same. The vids probably help, especially the first one. Niege is an artist through and through

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad