Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I just read something on NHL.com that Karlsson is expected to be offered an 8 year contract. This looks like it's just a rumor at the moment but it did come from the official site.

It's probably just from the recent Q&A with Doug Wilson.

Q: So there wouldn’t be any reservations about offering him an eight-year contract.
DW:
No, there wouldn’t be. We’ve done our research. Honestly, I really believe he’s just coming into his prime.

There were also the articles last season with Doughty in cahoots with Karlsson about contract negotiations. So he likely is expecting the 8/88 or more.

Reactions: Phu

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It's probably just from the recent Q&A with Doug Wilson.

Q: So there wouldn’t be any reservations about offering him an eight-year contract.
DW:
No, there wouldn’t be. We’ve done our research. Honestly, I really believe he’s just coming into his prime.

Yeah that was it. Still, they made the trade and are already talking about a contract extension. That's a good thing.

Reactions: Led Zappa

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
However excited you are, double it.

Karlsson is one of the most exciting, talented, and tough players in nhl history.

He's up there with Orr, Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom. And today it's between McDavid and Karlsson who the best player in the league is. I know some of you may think this is over hyping him. It isn't. You'll see that this season.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Timo Meier to Francis Perron(memorial cup championship)

They were on the same Huskies team in 2015-2016 and the same line. Perron had 108 points that season. I believe he lead all playoff scoring with 33 points and Meier had 23. They won the president cup that season.

I wonder if this is why Wilson wanted Perron. The chemistry he had with Meier.

Last edited:

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Good thing about living in NYC is, I can wear my Sharks gear and it's only like the 19th weirdest thing somebody is wearing on the train.

Makes me feel a little better about all the "take your shirt off" comments tonight.

Didn't really get any comments on Karlsson though, and it would've felt really weird to interject it out of the blue. Ah well.

Reactions: Machinehead

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
However excited you are, double it.

Karlsson is one of the most exciting, talented, and tough players in nhl history.

He's up there with Orr, Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom. And today it's between McDavid and Karlsson who the best player in the league is. I know some of you may think this is over hyping him. It isn't. You'll see that this season.

We already know that this is hyperbolic, and what Sens fans will find out is Karlsson's opportunity on a shit team is part of why he was so notable in Sens games. You know that play Sens fans call "The Pass"? Burns does that ALL the time. Tries it dozens of times a night and it works often based on sheer volume. He sprays a ton of pucks for icings though which is irritating as shit. But you can afford to do that when your team is possession dominant because you don't pay for icings that much.

That said, I would be happy if you are right.

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
We already know that this is hyperbolic, and what Sens fans will find out is Karlsson's opportunity on a **** team is part of why he was so notable in Sens games. You know that play Sens fans call "The Pass"? Burns does that ALL the time. Tries it dozens of times a night and it works often based on sheer volume. He sprays a ton of pucks for icings though which is irritating as ****. But you can afford to do that when your team is possession dominant because you don't pay for icings that much.

Sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm here, but Burns is actually pretty terrible at stretch passes. He either puts way too much heat on it or he's just off target.
The last player the Sharks had who could do anything remotely close to Karlsson's stretch passes was Demers.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We already know that this is hyperbolic, and what Sens fans will find out is Karlsson's opportunity on a **** team is part of why he was so notable in Sens games. You know that play Sens fans call "The Pass"? Burns does that ALL the time. Tries it dozens of times a night and it works often based on sheer volume. He sprays a ton of pucks for icings though which is irritating as ****. But you can afford to do that when your team is possession dominant because you don't pay for icings that much.

I guess we'll find out.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm here, but Burns is actually pretty terrible at stretch passes. He either puts way too much heat on it or he's just off target.
The last player the Sharks had who could do anything remotely close to Karlsson's stretch passes was Demers.
He is but on sheer volume he gets them through often. And we don't pay much for all the icings because we are strong defensively, on faceoffs, and can win the puck well in the defensive zone.

I mean our opponents try this too and occasionally get it, Kopitar to Dustin Shit comes to mind.

We also don't have guys trying to fly the zone that much historically. These kinds of passes are at least about as much about opportunity as execution. We are doing it more and more often nowadays though.

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
He is but on sheer volume he gets them through often. And we don't pay much for all the icings because we are strong defensively, on faceoffs, and can win the puck well in the defensive zone.

I mean our opponents try this too and occasionally get it, Kopitar to Dustin **** comes to mind.

Don't think we have the same definition of "stretch pass". I don't think Burns makes many tape-to-tape to another player in-stride entering the zone that lead to a scoring chance. I recall one with Kennedy, but that's about it. I've seen Karlsson do it a number of times with less space.

Burns is capable of passing it to a guy stationary at the blue-line, or aiming at a guy near the blue-line for them to redirect it in the zone (to avoid the icing). He is great at a lot of things, but I'm not going to pretend that stretch passing is one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
How about this extremely studly forward?

Beaten to it. That's really the only pass I can remember and I was shocked when I saw it live. And to be fair, it was on the PP on a terrible change by Tampa (a crazy amount of open ice).

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
This one is a mini version of Karlsson's one in a much more difficult ice scenario

Springing extremely skilled forward

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Neil Young AND Erik Karlsson in the same area (arena)! Any more prominent cultural folks?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I don't see how any of those videos are close to what Karlsson does.

My main offenses to your post were saying Burns does "The Pass" ALL the time or even nearly as much as Karlsson, which he doesn't, and that Karlsson's passes are only notable because he was on a lousy team, which is ludicrous. Like I said earlier, Burns is great at a lot of things, but it is disingenuous to compare his passing ability to Karlsson's. It really isn't close.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't see how any of those videos are close to what Karlsson does.

My main offenses to your post were saying Burns does "The Pass" ALL the time or even nearly as much as Karlsson, which he doesn't, and that Karlsson's passes are only notable because he was on a lousy team, which is ludicrous. Like I said earlier, Burns is great at a lot of things, but it is disingenuous to compare his passing ability to Karlsson's. It really isn't close.

It's a headman pass. That's really all it is. Burns keeps it low and hard because he's told to by the coaches. Makes sense because it pushes the pace and if it misses the mark or is broken up it goes for icing which is preferable to turning it over. And yes Burns does it nearly constantly. Very different style but as the numbers show, also very effective.

Other teams around the league try the air mail pass in similar ways. It happens sometimes. And it's at least as important for the forward (and the other team) to be in the right place for it to happen.

We don't try that play as much because we haven't traditionally been a counterattacking team, because we are a strong possession team. Yes shitty possession teams have traditionally used counters more.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
My brother is a massive Sharks fan (we're from Finland). I remember when I got the first chance to see NHL game. It was back in 2014 Avalanche came to play Ducks in what was Selanne's last NHL (RS) game. I called my brother and asked him what can I bring him from the game as a souvenir. He point blank told me "puck with Sharks logo on it". They were not even playing!

Having followed the Sharks because of the family connection, I'm really excited for you guys. Karlsson can potentially be series changer. I remember 16-17 playoffs when Karlsson was playing on a level rarely seen by any player. He was out of this world. All over the ice, making plays, interrupting lanes, hitting, defending, attacking, causing havoc with his skating alone. As much as I appreciate Burns, I've never seen him touch the level Karlsson did those playoffs.

The incredible part here is, you guys don't have to answer to a question "which one would you rather have, Brent Burns or Erik Karlsson"?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
rewatching a lot of karlsson in his own zone. hes certainly more predictable than burns. has a great stick and can harrass the speedier forwards. its hard not to imagine him with vlasic just being unstoppable. the difference between karlsson defending and vlasic is still a big gap. vlasic puts his body in perfect positions on almost every entry. karlsson is forced to used his skating to recover and reach.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Will Karlsson be in town by the first pre-season game against the Ducks? Toews help me, I’m can’t wait to see him in teal.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Man I’m staying on the SJ boards. It’s comical that some lightning fans think it’s a forgone conclusion that Karlsson walks and heads to TB via free agency. Once again it’s the we can’t contend long term trash. I looked at TBs cap situation for next year and unless they unload some serious salary there is no way they are fitting EK on that payroll. Especially with Point needing a new contract and Vas pretty soon.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I won't complain if the Sharks extend Karlsson but I'm fine letting him walk too. The price we paid is a steal for even just one season of Karlsson and tying up $26 million in three 30+ year old defensemen for six years doesn't seem like a great idea. It's still probably worth signing Karlsson then trying to move Vlasic or Burns, since he's younger and a far superior player to either of them, but that's easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad