Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
We got Karlsson gif dump!
1516272025558.gif

1440892159976_zpsfftmxevo.gif

anigif_enhanced-9227-1400275783-11_zps96518053.gif

tumblr_nlu8kxMzaS1qe5rulo1_400_zpsg7xnijuo.gif

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Same. I am probably the only sharks fan living in East coast Canada and I nearly ejaculated upon hearing we got Erik Karlsson and gave up no major Roster players. Pacioretti got more of a return than Erik Karlsson and that is crazy.

Jesus f***ing christ.

We will have Burns on 1 pairing for 25 minutes a game and Karlsson on another for 25 minutes a game.

That is nightmarish for opposing coaches to match up against in a way they cannot just line match to deal with. Offensive defensemen of that Caliber tend to tilt the ice the other way regardless of which forwards are on the ice in front of them.

Coaches plan their home ice line matching based on "I want Kopitar covering Thornton's line with Doughty's pairing and Carter covering Couture's line with Doughty and his 2nd partner" since Doughty can play 27-30 minutes a game. But this changes the landscape in unforeseen ways.

Coaches count on the oppositions top offensive Defenseman and top players being tired after a Powerplay and going for a rest on the bench so they can throw out an energy line or rested 2nd line and rest their best defensive Dmen if their top Pkers are their #1 Dman and top two way Center.

If Burns and Karlsson trade up evenly on PP time with even forward lines, one will still be able to come out guns blazing immediately after a Sharks PP with rested forwards while the top checkers are sucking oxygen on the bench.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Same. I am probably the only sharks fan living in East coast Canada and I nearly ejaculated upon hearing we got Erik Karlsson and gave up no major Roster players. Pacioretti got more of a return than Erik Karlsson and that is crazy.

Jesus ****ing christ.

We will have Burns on 1 pairing for 25 minutes a game and Karlsson on another for 25 minutes a game.

That is nightmarish for opposing coaches to match up against in a way they cannot just line match to deal with. Offensive defensemen of that Caliber tend to tilt the ice the other way regardless of which forwards are on the ice in front of them.

Coaches plan their home ice line matching based on "I want Kopitar covering Thornton's line with Doughty's pairing and Carter covering Couture's line with Doughty and his 2nd partner" since Doughty can play 27-30 minutes a game. But this changes the landscape in unforeseen ways.

Coaches count on the oppositions top offensive Defenseman and top players being tired after a Powerplay and going for a rest on the bench so they can throw out an energy line or rested 2nd line and rest their best defensive Dmen if their top Pkers are their #1 Dman and top two way Center.

If Burns and Karlsson trade up evenly on PP time with even forward lines, one will still be able to come out guns blazing immediately after a Sharks PP with rested forwards while the top checkers are sucking oxygen on the bench.
It's more like we'll have Burns or Karlsson on the ice for 20 minutes each and then 5 minutes of Burns AND Karlsson on the ice for the PP. That'd be super legit and it's unlikely that they'd put Vlasic on a separate pairing where he'd only get ~15 minutes.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
It's more like we'll have Burns or Karlsson on the ice for 20 minutes each and then 5 minutes of Burns AND Karlsson on the ice for the PP. That'd be super legit and it's unlikely that they'd put Vlasic on a separate pairing where he'd only get ~15 minutes.

Mike Johnson had Karlsson with Ryan and Burns will Dillon which is ludicrous. You need Vlasic and Karlsson on the top pairing so Burns can feast on easier matchups. I also feel like EK can score more against harder matchups than Burns at even strength.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Mike Johnson had Karlsson with Ryan and Burns will Dillon which is ludicrous. You need Vlasic and Karlsson on the top pairing so Burns can feast on easier matchups. I also feel like EK can score more against harder matchups than Burns at even strength.
The main key would just be keeping Karlsson and Burns split up. Then the other team needs to pick their poison. Do you want to match your shutdown guys against Burns? Or do you want to do it against Karlsson? This is going to be a deployment nightmare for other teams.

Like I said before, you can put our defense in a blender and just about any combo it comes up will be a tough to play against.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Dillon/Burns feels like it'd be an adventure.

Assuming we're going to do Vlasic with one of Burns/Karlsson to maximize icetime:

Vlasic/Karlsson
Ryan/Burns
Dillon/Braun
Heed

Though perhaps what would be more fun would be trading Braun for forward help and running:

Vlasic/Karlsson
Ryan/Burns
Dillon/Heed
Simek-or-Middleton-or-bargainFA

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The higher likelyhood is Vlasic rotates between these two on pairings at ES and is off the PP completely. If Burns just finishes a PP after being on the ice for 1:30 with Thornton/Pavelski/Kane/Hertl, the next line of Couture/Meier/Donskoi hit the ice with a Vlasic/Karlsson pairing and the other team is not able to gain momentum from a successful kill because their top defensive guys are on the bench sucking oxygen while another deadly unit for the Sharks hits the ice tilting it into the offensive zone.

The options the Sharks have to roll with now are pretty gross for an opposing coach to try to match up against. Having 2 Offensive Defensemen is quite a boon to any team. Nashville with Subban + Josi has been tough to play against. Burns/Karlsson is an entire different level of nasty.

Ryan/Burns has been a good pairing. I suspect Vlasic Karlsson will be a match made in heaven. our Bottom pairing is now Dillon/Braun which means no more figuring out who will play between heed/Demelo/whoever

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
you'd think ... but there the 2019 first is as a condition of this trade.
It's a mistake that's been retweeted/uncorrected by a number of reporters for some reason.

The guaranteed picks:
2nd in 2019
1st in 2020

The conditions:
2nd in 2021 if they re-sign him. Becomes a 1st if they reach the SCF.
Unspecified 1st if they trade him East. Likely 2021 if they dont reach the SCF this year. 2022 if not cuz there are no others.

Reactions: Phu

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you'd think ... but there the 2019 first is as a condition of this trade.

I think that was probably a typo/mistake. The conditions on the Kane trade were satisfied the moment Kane inked a new contract in May. As soon as that contract was processed by the league and approved, the trade requirements would've triggered and the pick would've been immediately been transferred to the Sabres to complete that aspect of the deal. The pick officially no longer belongs to the Sharks as there were no other deferrals or conditions on that pick the way there was with the low-round pic in that trade (where the Sharks theoretically could choose to defer the by-default 2019 4th and make it a 2020 3rd instead. Though that'd be dumb)

I suspect that perhaps the 2019 condition is an error and the pick is a 2020 1st regardless of what happens, but we'll see if there's clarification. I did tweet Friedman about it to see if he responds. Also to clarify if SJ has to give up a 2021 pick in the event that the team both makes the 19 SCF and were to lose Karlsson to free agency.

Reactions: Phu

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Dillon/Burns feels like it'd be an adventure.

Assuming we're going to do Vlasic with one of Burns/Karlsson to maximize icetime:

Vlasic/Karlsson
Ryan/Burns
Dillon/Braun
Heed

Though perhaps what would be more fun would be trading Braun for forward help and running:

Vlasic/Karlsson
Ryan/Burns
Dillon/Heed
Simek-or-Middleton-or-bargainFA

I think Braun will eventually be traded if the Sharks are to re-sign Karlsson because they will need to free cap space. But thankfully we have Heed who can replace him if need be. But no need to do that this season since Braun is signed through 2020.

Reactions: Sharks7

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I reside in Halifax also, guess there are a few of us lol

Q: Does the Drew Doughty contract (eight years, $88 million) set the bar?
DW:
Top players are going to get paid well, they are. And they deserve to get paid well. It’s just the distribution of your cap and when you’re trying to build a team trying to win a Stanley Cup, it’s a team-building concept. Joe Thornton, I can’t even put into words what he does for this organization when it comes to that. My job and my owner’s job is to make this a place players want to play and then once players get here, they’ll do whatever to take care of each other. But believe me, it starts with Jumbo, the things he does, the flexibility under a cap system, we can’t thank him enough.

This part is what we have been saying about Jumbo for years. he takes huge discounts to enable the team to make these moves and is a mega leader

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think Braun will eventually be traded if the Sharks are to re-sign Karlsson because they will need to free cap space. But thankfully we have Heed who can replace him if need be. But no need to do that this season since Braun is signed through 2020.

Trading Braun to get cap space would be a bonus at this point. Right now I would be looking at trading him to get a 3C so that we don't have to do some sort of nonsense like play Hertl there (which would also potentially do something goofy like push Labanc/Donskoi into the top 6).

Kane - Thornton - Pavelski
Couture - Hertl - Meier
Labanc - 3C - Donskoi
Karlsson - Suomela - Sorensen
Goodrow

Otherwise you've likely got Suomela as the 3C (which might be fine, mind you) and then have Gambrell/Praplan/Goodrow/someone else as the 4C (which might also be fine, though I feel like Gambrell is better served getting more minutes in the AHL and I wouldn't want to bank on both of Suomela and Praplan adapting immediately to the NHL)

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Glad they looked at his ankle, extensions and all the other due diligence involved.

I think worrying about individual point totals and the like isnt seeing the forest for the trees. But regardless no one is getting less minutes and there are so many unreal options with these two beyond jist the pairings and PP.

One example i can think of. A gassed team ices it. Get both guys out there on the faceoff and bury them in their own zone

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Q: Does the Drew Doughty contract (eight years, $88 million) set the bar?
DW:
Top players are going to get paid well, they are. And they deserve to get paid well. It’s just the distribution of your cap and when you’re trying to build a team trying to win a Stanley Cup, it’s a team-building concept. Joe Thornton, I can’t even put into words what he does for this organization when it comes to that. My job and my owner’s job is to make this a place players want to play and then once players get here, they’ll do whatever to take care of each other. But believe me, it starts with Jumbo, the things he does, the flexibility under a cap system, we can’t thank him enough.

This part is what we have been saying about Jumbo for years. he takes huge discounts to enable the team to make these moves and is a mega leader
Joe’s the best. Also love that Plattner spoke to Karlsson and his wife.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'll adjust that. Thanks.

Now we just need Friedman to fact-check/proofread his tweets and figure out what's the deal with the alleged 2019 1st that we can't possibly trade.

The 2019 1st is traded. It's just whether it's to Buffalo or to Ottawa. The Kane trade, that pick is lottery-protected where if the Sharks somehow miss the playoffs, they have the option to give it to the Sabres or they get the 2020 1st rounder. And I'm pretty sure that part of this deal for Karlsson is that the Sens would get that pick if we miss the playoffs. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad