The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
It looks like Kate Pettersen won't be the in-house reporter for the coming season:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/will-canucks-hire-new-team-reporter

On a different topic, I wish one of the local "reporters" would see to getting a straight answer about Gradin's status.
It's probably a low compensation role for the heat associated, she was getting harassed big time on twitter over the year. That combined with not much in the way of vertical movement its probably one that's good for the resume and then you move on to a better opportunity.

That said its a shame because the in house reporter providing content is huge for the fans, there was a gap of like 10 years between Derek Jory regularly writing and doing stuff and them bringing Kate on.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not sure what she did before or she just hasn't updated her website but it has stuff about her doing the same kind of role but with Edmonton.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Scott Russell of CBC signing off his final broadcast. 66 years old. Man how time flies.

• Wow
Reactions: MS

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

The schedule highlights one Canadian team each week. The Toronto Maple Leafs have the most games on Prime Monday Night Hockey with six, followed by the Montreal Canadiens and Calgary Flames with five, the Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, and Winnipeg Jets with four, and the Ottawa Senators with just three.
Vancouver’s four games are as follows:
Monday, December 23 vs. San Jose Sharks
Monday, January 6 @ Montreal Canadiens
Monday, January 27 @ St. Louis Blues
Monday, March 24 @ New Jersey Devils
This marks the first time a Canucks regular season game will not be televised on Sportsnet since 2014.

We already knew this but it still sucks. Eventually you'll see other streaming providers step in and you'll need 3-4 subscriptions to catch all the games.

Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

We already knew this but it still sucks. Eventually you'll see other streaming providers step in and you'll need 3-4 subscriptions to catch all the games.

Yeah, it's really going to suck. I have a Prime account so I can still watch but the divying up of broadcast rights is not good. They also tend to be a way lower quality presentation.

There is a small positive in that Sportsnet does not provide a good product and the only reason we like it is because of convenience and Shorthouse/Murphy/Ferraro/Tomlinson put on a great show. Ideally, competition should push Sportsnet to actually be better. It won't and, like you said, the broadcast will be divided between 3-4 subscriptions when the TV rights expire shortly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Scott Russell of CBC signing off his final broadcast. 66 years old. Man how time flies.

Jeez, that escalated quickly from him being the 'young guy' in the 1990s. Always seemed younger than that knob MacLean but was actually two years older.

Yeah, it's really going to suck. I have a Prime account so I can still watch but the divying up of broadcast rights is not good. They also tend to be a way lower quality presentation.

There is a small positive in that Sportsnet does not provide a good product and the only reason we like it is because of convenience and Shorthouse/Murphy/Ferraro/Tomlinson put on a great show. Ideally, competition should push Sportsnet to actually be better. It won't and, like you said, the broadcast will be divided between 3-4 subscriptions when the TV rights expire shortly.

Yeah, as bad as some aspects of Sportsnet are, it's going to be absolutely horrible when you have to buy 4 subscription services to get Canuck games. Already have to deal with this for Arsenal games.

Blue Jays are also like this with Apple TV games and they're just horrible to watch.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
will all games still be available on sportsnet one and/or espn+? i think i have prime but i am lazy and don't want to have to remember to use the prime app instead of one of the others

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah, as bad as some aspects of Sportsnet are, it's going to be absolutely horrible when you have to buy 4 subscription services to get Canuck games. Already have to deal with this for Arsenal games.

Blue Jays are also like this with Apple TV games and they're just horrible to watch.

This is the exact example I was thinking of. I also don't have Apple TV so those are just games where I watch the MLB highlights. It's such a bad presentation and makes you appreciate the Blue Jays crew despite their faults and biases.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is the exact example I was thinking of. I also don't have Apple TV so those are just games where I watch the MLB highlights. It's such a bad presentation and makes you appreciate the Blue Jays crew despite their faults and biases.

We do have Apple TV and it's so bad when you're used to the usual broadcasts. It basically sounds like a podcast where a bunch of people are generically talking about baseball and ignoring the game unless something significant happens. And the tone is always skewed to the American team and the Jays ignored.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
This is ridiculous, I had a Sportsnet+ subscription last season but I'll probably just pirate this season since they don't have all the games.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I miss the days of SN/TSN showing EPL, Bundesliga, CL and International football friendlies. This was when they used to provide coverage of hockey as well. It was phenomenal value to subscribe to those networks during the cable days..

It was such a blow when SN/TSN dropped most of their soccer coverage because because they surprisingly had good analysts like De Vos and Craig Forrest.

I have streamed some MLS games on AppleTV and the presentation absolutely sucks.

The Cable TV-ification of streaming sucks so much.
It's only going to get worse. I still cannot wrap my head around streaming services running ads.

I thought many people would reject Netflix after their recent price hikes but they continue to post record profits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Cable TV-ification of streaming sucks so much.

Yup. I'm now paying substantially more money than I did 10 years ago for less product.

And there are things like the Tour de France that I used to really enjoy following along to but definitely not enough to pay $$$ for the special app just for that so it's basically gone as a thing for me.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
They can only go so far to sequester these games and charge more overall for them. If in a few years Sportsnet is broadcasting 60 games a year, I don't mind [committing terrible crimes] to see the rest and living with the lower quality.
It was like they found 2-3 people having a conversation about something totally unrelated and asked them to talk about baseball for three hours. It did improve a bit later on. I also think they know they can't get away with this with any other major sport.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They can only go so far to sequester these games and charge more overall for them. If in a few years Sportsnet is broadcasting 60 games a year, I don't mind [committing terrible crimes] to see the rest and living with the lower quality.

I illegally streamed stuff for a few years when I lived in NZ and I absolutely hated it both for the quality and the hassle and have no interest in doing that again. The Crosby goal to win the 2010 Olympics the stream froze with the puck in the corner and then restarted again like 2 minutes later with the celebration already starting to die down.

But I get it.

It was like they found 2-3 people having a conversation about something totally unrelated and asked them to talk about baseball for three hours. It did improve a bit later on. I also think they know they can't get away with this with any other major sport.

This is basically exactly what it is. Some people babbling away about general baseball stuff while mostly ignoring the game that was happening. Entire ABs not even commented on.

And yeah, you probably can't do that specific thing with hockey but I have zero confidence that these services won't find other ways to horribly screw up an NHL broadcast.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I will give Amazon a chance. They actually did a really good job with the AVP when they had those rights?

But you guys talking about baseball that’s boring no matter the quality so…;)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The NHL's legendary refusal to provide a one-stop shop for games drives me nuts. I don't even care about cost ... I use stupid DAZN for the NFL and it's bullocks, but at least it's one subscription for all games.

Can always VPN Game Centre, I guess.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I illegally streamed stuff for a few years when I lived in NZ and I absolutely hated it both for the quality and the hassle and have no interest in doing that again. The Crosby goal to win the 2010 Olympics the stream froze with the puck in the corner and then restarted again like 2 minutes later with the celebration already starting to die down.
Yes, it's frustrating. If I paid for legitimate streaming services I'd probably never go back. At the moment I spend that money on a couple more live games a year.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The NHL's legendary refusal to provide a one-stop shop for games drives me nuts. I don't even care about cost ... I use stupid DAZN for the NFL and it's bullocks, but at least it's one subscription for all games.

Can always VPN Game Centre, I guess.

There's way more money to be made by selling broadcast rights piece by piece.

Chalk it down to a lack of competition domestically since there's really only one bidder in this country (Rogers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad