The Vancouver Canucks' Right Defence Conundrum

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I just hope we dont waste a preseason giving minutes to an AHL scorer who will be waived when camp ends instead of someone actually in the mix like we did with Petan

Absolutely mystifying
That move bothered me from the beginning too. Petan had spent 6 seasons trying to make any impact whatsoever in any role on an NHL team and was clearly not quick or strong enough. Unless he develops instant chemistry with existing players, he should be one of the first sent down. He knows he's getting called up at some point -- his feelings won't be hurt.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Well, if we can't get a true first paring RHD due to cap issues or not being able to swing a good deal, I wonder how Ethan Bear might fit playing alongside Hughes. I really liked what he brought to the table in his first year with the Oilers, and seemed to be able to handle 21 minutes a game with little problem. I know he's regressed a bit and is now buried in a deep 'Canes D group, but at a $2.2 hit he's a more attractive option on the right side than the group we have now. It probably wouldn't take much to acquire him.

... And now, both Elliotte and IMac are reporting that the Canucks are interested. I'd say go for it if they can get him for a reasonable price. He might look good with Hughes.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In my opinion grab a guy off waivers if you can but for a more long term rd fix I think you just have to go into this season with a whole and look to the trade deadline. It will cost picks which sucks but if we're in a playoff spot you could see a broader range of guys like Severson or Zub available who if acquired could be good bets to extend.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Ok somebody explain why there is a shortage of right side defencemen? There are just as many right D playing hockey as the are left D.
Not true at all. Looking at the NHL last year, 137 right shot defenders played at least a game, while there were 208 lefties. Pretty much the exact same ratio if you look at the last 5 years (197 and 304, respectively) and a slightly bigger gap proportionally if you go back 10 (265 and 449). Clearly there's a disparity there.

Check here if you want some more info: Why Are So Many Hockey Players Left-Handed? | Pure Hockey

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
ROI when you hit on a C/RD in the draft >>>> ROI when you hit on a W in the draft

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
ROI when you hit on a C/RD in the draft >>>> ROI when you hit on a W in the draft

The sweet spot for hitting the jackpot on RHD seems to be 2nd round draft picks, something the last 3 Canucks GMs gave away like candy on Halloween.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not true at all. Looking at the NHL last year, 137 right shot defenders played at least a game, while there were 208 lefties. Pretty much the exact same ratio if you look at the last 5 years (197 and 304, respectively) and a slightly bigger gap proportionally if you go back 10 (265 and 449). Clearly there's a disparity there.

Check here if you want some more info: Why Are So Many Hockey Players Left-Handed? | Pure Hockey
fairly certain that gap is even larger at lower levels - most hockey shop sales are 2:1 for LHS vs RHS

higher levels force worse players up due to coach preferences/views of what's necessary

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

There are left shot defensemen who play the right side.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For players right now though, with Ethan Bear being mentioned I wonder if Philippe Myers wouldn't be worth a look, considering he's Tampa's #7 dman. Did enough by age 22 to earn a 3 year $7.65M contract, but not enough that I think in year 2 of the deal with a $2.55M cap hit he cleared waivers.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder If organizations have been taking flyers on righty dmen in the second round strategically.

I’ve only looked at the last draft but here are the numbers:

-11 D-men taken in the 2nd round
-7 are right shot defencemen
-both of Anaheim’s picks are RD (Warren & Luneau)
-Dallas took 4 defencemen in a row this draft; 3 RD and Bichsel has reportedly been playing on the right side despite being a left shot
-Devils drafted 5 D; 4 RD
-Sharks 4 D; 3 RD

Reactions: supercanuck

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’ve only looked at the last draft but here are the numbers:

-11 D-men taken in the 2nd round
-7 are right shot defencemen
-both of Anaheim’s picks are RD (Warren & Luneau)
-Dallas took 4 defencemen in a row this draft; 3 RD and Bichsel has reportedly been playing on the right side despite being a left shot
-Devils drafted 5 D; 4 RD
-Sharks 4 D; 3 RD
I’m thinking they may see rhd with second round grade and it’s just like an automatic to make the bet barring being absolutely in love with someone else. Some gms at least.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’m thinking they may see rhd with second round grade and it’s just like an automatic to make the bet barring being absolutely in love with someone else. Some gms at least.

We're basically seeing that with LA. Defencemen, from either side, are more sought after than scoring wingers and were able to turn Brock Faber, who would be the Canucks best prospect, into Kevin Fiala because they have an ridiculous treasure trove. Where was Brock Faber selected? The second round. Kings had two 2nd rounders in 2020. The other they took Helge Grans, another RD. Kings only had 4 picks in the 2021 draft but took Brandt Clarke, an RD, in the 1st. Last draft they took 3 defencemen and two of them were RD.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
We're basically seeing that with LA. Defencemen, from either side, are more sought after than scoring wingers and were able to turn Brock Faber, who would be the Canucks best prospect, into Kevin Fiala because they have an ridiculous treasure trove. Where was Brock Faber selected? The second round. Kings had two 2nd rounders in 2020. The other they took Helge Grans, another RD. Kings only had 4 picks in the 2021 draft but took Brandt Clarke, an RD, in the 1st. Last draft they took 3 defencemen and two of them were RD.
The fact that they have Cups to remember within the last 8-10 years, and still get to cheer their champions while their system is churning out talent makes me uh…feel. f***.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Going further, here's the Kings total draft broken down by position:

Over the last three drafts the Kings have had 20 picks:

C:
Byfield (2020)
Pinelli (2021)
Helenius (2021)
Hughes (2022)
Connors (2022)

RD:
Grans (2020)
Faber (2020)
Clarke (2021)
Salin (2022)
Sparkes (2022)

LD:
Meehan (2020)
Kirsanov (2021)
Booth (2022)

RW:
Simontaival (2020)
Laferriere (2020)
Wright (2022)

LW:
Jamsen (2020)
Lawrence (2022)

G:
Markkanen (2020)

C and RD are clear favourites over the last three seasons and that makes a lot of sense.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
is ethan bear the answer?
No.

The Canucks need a top pairing two-way defensive-minded RD that can play with Hughes, to the point that this pairing can push the OEL-Myers pairing to an ideal 2nd pairing (OEL is a #3 defenseman while Myers is a #4 defensemen. Check that - OEL is a #2.5 defenseman while Myers is a #4.5 defenseman).

If the Canucks have OEL-Myers in that 2nd pairing slot, I think they'll be in tremendous shape. With Bear, Schenn, or Dermott as Hughes' partner however, you'd have to deploy this pairing in the 2nd pairing spot which would still keep OEL-Myers as top pairing (which would ultimately lead to significant risk).

When I created this initial post, I argued that acquiring a "sexy piece" such as Zub or Severson sounds great in theory, but the acquisition cost would be quite high. The Lundquist trade only confirms my suspicion. Cal Foote from Tampa? Would probably be an insane price as well.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
No.

The Canucks need a top pairing two-way defensive-minded RD that can play with Hughes, to the point that this pairing can push the OEL-Myers pairing to an ideal 2nd pairing (OEL is a #3 defenseman while Myers is a #4 defensemen. Check that - OEL is a #2.5 defenseman while Myers is a #4.5 defenseman).

If the Canucks have OEL-Myers in that 2nd pairing slot, I think they'll be in tremendous shape. With Bear, Schenn, or Dermott as Hughes' partner however, you'd have to deploy this pairing in the 2nd pairing spot which would still keep OEL-Myers as top pairing (which would ultimately lead to significant risk).

When I created this initial post, I argued that acquiring a "sexy piece" such as Zub or Severson sounds great in theory, but the acquisition cost would be quite high. The Lundquist trade only confirms my suspicion. Cal Foote from Tampa? Would probably be an insane price as well.
While I agree that the price would be quite high, signing Miller means we're looking to compete the next 5 years. I'm not opposed to that either. We are quite deep at forward, with borderline elite centre depth, and Demko is showing to be elite. Our left side defence is looking strong with the future being Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone ideally. Right side would be fine or even good if it was xx - Myers, Schenn.

At this point I think we might as well pay the price to find Hughes a partner, but I also get why some aren't enamoured with that idea.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I don't play hockey (can barely skate)...can someone please explain how difficult it would be for a defenseman to switch sides? Seems risky to me to ask your franchise's (potentially) best D-man ever to change his game like that.

Best case scenario I guess is like how Linden went from W to C. The asset value increase is huge, and helped us to a Cup final.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At this point I think we might as well pay the price to find Hughes a partner, but I also get why some aren't enamoured with that idea.
I agree but I can understand why they’ve taken the patient approach this offseason. Outside of the unmovable OEL contract, the team’s worst deals(Dickinson, Myers, Pearson and Poolman) all have at least 2 years left(3 for Poolman). Shedding that much this offseason I’m sure would’ve cost a boatload in future assets. Next offseason when, Myers for example is only owed $1M in actual cash after his bonus, you should be able to move these guys for much less.

I think this season will be a bit of a wait and see approach as we still don’t know where this team is at. Is the Boudreau team for real? We’ll find out this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad