The value of Denis Malgin (D. Malgin vs. J. Crabb working title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Ship him to the Shabs where he will be the tallest forward on the team ….
Seriously , it’s all about the playoffs , and this type of player who offer’s literally nothing , nothing at all other than “ depth “ we don’t need anymore of that , we have lots of “ depth players “ . Enough with this non dimensional player .
If you’re a small player you have to either be a pest ( Galleger ? ) or a pure goal scorer ( the other shab player …
This player is neither …
I’m so tired of hearing about these types of players on our team …” depth “ “ cheap “ “ eats up minutes “ on and on and on , excuse after excuse …
You mean to tell me that there isn’t a player in our system or another organization that is young , hungry, can skate and actually plays physical??
One who brings it , shift in and shift out ??
Kampf is one
Holmberg is another
Steeves is another
Hell even Gaudette
I’m a big fan of Dubas and of our management team and mostly they have done a real good job at filling in the blanks ( other than a true top 6 LWer ) that’s a big fail thus far unfortunately!
But in this case 62 it’s more hockey politics , meaning , they desperately really want to save face on this horrible trade with Marchment went the other way … it’s ok shit happens , every GM makes mistakes , move on and cut your losses , I’d rather see this approach here used .
They are trying so hard to see if 62 will rise up , it won’t happen , especially in the playoffs.
Oh he will have a shift here and there or a game here and there like 47 but when the dust settles it’s back to Meh at best , feeble weak , uninspired hockey as always Hockey , it is what it is
Let’s truly grow up , enough with these experiments, with excuses ( when you have to constantly explain a players game , you really don’t have much ..
I’m ok with 15 as a 3or 4th liner at a way lower price tag , at least he skates and is somewhat engaged .
Out
15???
Let’s get big and strong men in the bottom six that can skate and are young
Playoffs is all that matters and these players will wilt as usual when it matters
Just think about this
Perry in the corner vs 62 ???? In the playoffs
Really think about that , every shift grinding in the playoffs
No contest it’s worth at least 1 or 2 goals in a series , which we all know is and has been the difference.

On the LW topic
I wish we took a chance on Kane

Imagine
Bunts AM WN
Kane JT MM
Knies Holmberg ( real man addition here )
Steeves Kampf ( real grown up man addition here )

Extras
Robertson
ZAR

Now that’s real depth that can play
Excellent post. Respect

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
If a league minimum player is the biggest issue the Maple Leafs currently have then they must finally be for real this year. You think if they get rid of Malgin they win their first playoff round in 10 years?:huh:
A league minimum player isn't the Leafs' biggest problem. The fact that a prominent scoring role is being filled by an ineffective league minimum player is the problem.

giphyerer.gif

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is second stint in the top six, both times he’s completely underwhelmed. When he was on fourth line he had a very impressive small sample size impact. He’s depth, but come playoffs I won’t want to see him in our lineup. I think Dubas’ clear objective is to get a couple forwards, one skilled, one with grit, over our defence. Malgin is a place holder, or at least should be. Ditto the giraffe.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Probably carries more value as a roster spare than anything we could get through trade.

Reactions: Ciao

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Probably carries more value as a roster spare than anything we could get through trade.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not completely disagreeing. Are you saying we can't get any better in a trade? I highly doubt that.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm actually pretty surprised he's lasted in the league as long as he has this go-around.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
He has all the skill just doesn’t have the right game for the NHL. He’d be a star in Europe. I like him but he doesn’t bring enough to the table to be anything besides depth for us

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
"Mom, can we get a 2nd line LW so we can break this ridiculous curse and get into the 2nd round?"

"Don't be silly son, we have a 2nd line LW at home"

1671341804387.png

He has all the skill just doesn’t have the right game for the NHL. He’d be a star in Europe. I like him but he doesn’t bring enough to the table to be anything besides depth for us
Dubas can keep forcing Malgin square peg into the round hole that is the NHL all he wants, anyone with a pulse can see this guy will never be good enough.
I am surprised with the job Dubas did with the goaltending and defense, that he can't admit the hole at LW throughout the entire lineup.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Are you just looking at stats?

Even watching last nights game, against a way heavier opponent, to me Malgin was impressive the way he used his body going into the corners against much bigger players.

Is he a top six forward? No. But he can be a solid bottom six. Maybe that’s with this team, maybe it’s with another team. If we had the chance to upgrade on him, I’d obviously do it.
Since you brought it up, I have been looking at his stats. Best comparison to his career is maybe former leaf Joey Crabb.

Joey Crabb 179 GP 20 G 33 A 53 P -5
Denis Malgin 215 GP 30 G 34 A 64 P -21

What gets me is his stat lines of recent where he's playing a top 6 role. 0's everywhere you look. 0 hits, 0 shots on goal, 0 blocked shots, 0 assists, etc.

I think if Joey Crabb were playing today with skilled players like Marner/Tavares, he might have a point. Definitely a shot on goal.

;)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They are paying him nothing so I have a hard time getting too concerned over him being in the lineup. I guess if I thought he was the only reason why Steeves wasn't getting another look maybe. He is well below his career scoring rate right now and hasn't had a point in 12 games so not sure how he earning his season high for TOI last night but maybe they are trying to give him a nudge. I guess if he is still around for the last 20 games and is producing like this, that's more of a thing, but right now, who is he keeping pout of the lineup?

Reactions: Ciao and Metroid

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Denis Malgin is the Leafs biggest problem.

He can be sent down and his contract buried at any time if they have a better option -- and they might very well have a few of those on hand already.

Denis Malgin ihas been getting the very best opportunity he will ever have, and unfortunately nothing much is happening.

The Leafs success doesn't really turn on the performance of a league-minimum winger on a one-year contract.

I don't think anyone here will shed any tears when he is eventually replaced -- unless, of course, he is traded to Arizona for an NHL-ready defenceman, in which case he might then become the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad