Player Discussion The Underrated Brock Boeser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
I think Brock will sign for an extension with a slight team friendly contract, as management doesn't want to mess up the chemistry with Petty, Miller, Hughes and Brock

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if boeser is willing to sign for 3-5 years then it's probably a no brainer to reup. the problem is if he wants the konecny deal or something similar. committing that kind of money and term to a player with the injury history and foot speed of boeser has disaster potential. think like logan couture

Reactions: brock hughes007

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I could very well be wrong about this, but i do suspect that in the room, JT Miller's signing is 1000% seen as "team-friendly" and at a team discount and there's a real chance that Boeser resigns at a discount too. Just..everything he's been through here in Vancouver...the chemistry, the bond with teammates. Growing from a boy into a man while playing here and then losing his father, scoring 40 goals for the team that drafted him in the first round.... i think these things play into it.

i suspect a 6 year deal which means he'll be 32turning 33 in his last year and the deal will be mid 7's which is a very steep discount in a cap-rising world, especially if he has another 30+ goal season

Reactions: Sonny A

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
if boeser is willing to sign for 3-5 years then it's probably a no brainer to reup. the problem is if he wants the konecny deal or something similar. committing that kind of money and term to a player with the injury history and foot speed of boeser has disaster potential. think like logan couture

Even with Couture missing a total of 135 games. He still put up 264 points over 351 games since singing that contract back in 2019. That's pretty good numbers even at 8M, especially playing on a completely garbage Sharks team.

I'd be perfect fine if Boeser wants term, provided he keeps the dollar amount reasonable. Anything under 8M and I'd go the full 8 years. Ideally, we structure that sort of contract without any back end bonuses so it's buyout friendly if needs be. It's only if he pushes for more than 8M that I'd want a shorter term deal.

It really depends on his performance this season to. If he puts up another 35-40 goal season. I'd be hard press not to give him want he wants. We're not finding another 40 goal goal scorer in FA.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Fans that want Boeser gone because of his new projected AAV also think Lekkerimaki can magically fill a top line position in the NHL.
I'm extremely happy with the way Boeser performed last year but this is a player with inconsistency, injury history, and a lack of pace that all don't bode well for a long term deal.

Even if he repeats this year, which would absolutely ensure him a huge deal, that doesn't really negate any of the factors I mentioned.

And yes, I get that it's nearly impossible to lose him given his importance in the room. It's just not some sort of slam dunk. There's a ton of risk involved in a 9x8 for Brock - even if he pots 35 this year.

Reactions: Raistlin

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think the management are good talent evaluators. If they see Brock come in like or better than last season I hope they make a move early. If they wait until he scores 20 and is on pace for 40+, it may. E difficult to keep him under Miller’s 8, which I do believe means something in the room (just as Hugh’s’ salary was a ceiling for Hronek)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Even with Couture missing a total of 135 games. He still put up 264 points over 351 games since singing that contract back in 2019. That's pretty good numbers even at 8M, especially playing on a completely garbage Sharks team.

I'd be perfect fine if Boeser wants term, provided he keeps the dollar amount reasonable. Anything under 8M and I'd go the full 8 years. Ideally, we structure that sort of contract without any back end bonuses so it's buyout friendly if needs be. It's only if he pushes for more than 8M that I'd want a shorter term deal.

It really depends on his performance this season to. If he puts up another 35-40 goal season. I'd be hard press not to give him want he wants. We're not finding another 40 goal goal scorer in FA.

Couture's signing was not expected to age well. His extension started when he was 30. But he was what Horvat would have been to us if we didn't have Petey or didn't have Miller. A player who can play C who has given you consistent production and performs well in the playoffs? That's hard to let go for a team that is looking to win in the short term. I agree with Bourne that absent last season, he has been far from a disaster.

I think people need to realize that as star players age they need help. It's difficult to win a Cup if your best players are like 35+. The 2001-2002 Wings don't exist. Take a look a Crosby. He had one of his best seasons in recent years and the Penguins weren't particularly close to making the playoffs. Assuming that the players age well and remain effective Miller as he ages will need a winger who can help carry that line. Boeser when he ages will be even more one dimensional.

I'm a believer in Boeser. Given that management hasn't been shy about handing out long term contracts, an 8 year deal to Boeser seems fair.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
dude is just a good guy to have in the room, he bleeds blue and green. Scoring 40 is a bonus, if we can rely on him for 30+ goals every year, in this rising cap world, anything under 8 is a slam dunk. I do agree that with his pace, an 8 year deal is very risky. 8x5 will be an ideal contract for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad