The Tristan Jarry conundrum

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Gibson has not been good for a while now

He's at least proven he can handle a workload for a season AND that he can be good.

If your only targets are goalies who are hot during the trade/FA market you end up with overpriced junk like Bob. What you shouldn't do is try and try and try again and again to make Jarry work when he's never proven anything other than that he's good for about 40 games - and to MAYBE steal you one game per year. You take Gibson 100 times out of 100 against a goalie like TJ.

Imagine Jarry on the Ducks. Dude would have quit or been injured in the first 10 games he got let out to dry. Gibson fought all year backing up a dogmeat team. That's worth something to me. That being said I wouldn't pay the price Duck FANS want - but I'd absolutely be calling on him.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Gibson plays behind a uniquely, like record-breakingly bad team. I agree he hasn't looked like an All-Star in a while but I think there's a good chance a lot of it has to do with the team in front of him.
Won't get much improvement behind OUR team, but I agree with the sentiment that he can at least play all year and maybe that will help everyone get on the same page

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not crazy on Gibson to be honest, and he would require a good amount of assets in a trade. I'd rather we see who is out there on the cheaper side, even a 1 year deal to Korpisalo or someone like him. A contract or prove yourself and we will sign you longer

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Gibson plays behind a uniquely, like record-breakingly bad team. I agree he hasn't looked like an All-Star in a while but I think there's a good chance a lot of it has to do with the team in front of him.

He's also from the Pittsburgh area. That totally means they should give him an extra year on his contract when they acquire him!

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Not crazy on Gibson to be honest, and he would require a good amount of assets in a trade. I'd rather we see who is out there on the cheaper side, even a 1 year deal to Korpisalo or someone like him. A contract or prove yourself and we will sign you longer
Korpisalo is a guy I would really look at if the idea is to move on from Jarry. You could have him at a reasonable number on a 2-3 year deal. And he has shown he is capable of elevating his game. The 5 OT playoff game comes to mind. Unless I’m forgetting injuries he is more durable than Jarry. So you be sacrificing a couple of notches of higher end skill for more stability in health and play.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Korpisalo is a guy I would really look at if the idea is to move on from Jarry. You could have him at a reasonable number on a 2-3 year deal. And he has shown he is capable of elevating his game. The 5 OT playoff game comes to mind. Unless I’m forgetting injuries he is more durable than Jarry. So you be sacrificing a couple of notches of higher end skill for more stability in health.

Uh why wouldn't the Kings re-sign him? I don't think he's going to even hit the FA market.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Uh why wouldn't the Kings re-sign him? I don't think he's going to even hit the FA market.
It all depends on if they’d want to and he’d want to resign there. This is his first chance at choosing his own destination. If I were him I’d take a look rather than signing with who I was just traded too. Especially in California.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know if it'd take much to get Gibson. Anaheim has some young goalies they can give the reigns to. How many teams are in the market for a #1? How many have the cap room for Gibson? How many of them aren't also concerned about Gibson's play behind the Ducks the last few years?

I think the market is limited.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know if it'd take much to get Gibson. Anaheim has some young goalies they can give the reigns to. How many teams are in the market for a #1? How many have the cap room for Gibson? How many of them aren't also concerned about Gibson's play behind the Ducks the last few years?

Yeah that’s why I’d take him. Easy buy low.

Then get Ukka Pekka out of BUF

Reactions: Shady Machine

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Karel Vejmelka has been reported as being available. He has pretty good advanced stats. With a 2.7mil cap hit for the next two years I think he might be a realistic option for the Pens. He could be an Ullmark type. Good goalie buried by a bad team. By no means do I think he is Vezina caliber but could offer us good stable goaltending. Something TJ could never do. He might not require a lot in return as well.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Karel Vejmelka has been reported as being available. He has pretty good advanced stats. With a 2.7mil cap hit for the next two years I think he might be a realistic option for the Pens. He could be an Ullmark type. Good goalie buried by a bad team. By no means do I think he is Vezina caliber but could offer us good stable goaltending. Something TJ could never do. He might not require a lot in return as well.

Not if you talk to Arizona fans. And his advanced stats show he was one of the worst goalies in 2022. So which one is he?

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
Not if you talk to Arizona fans. And his advanced stats show he was one of the worst goalies in 2022. So which one is he?
Devils Could Target Vejmelka as 1B to Vanecek

This article gives some of his advanced stats. He shows he can be a very good goalie. But sustaining it is a problem but I think the Pens could provide a more stable team in front of him where he could keep up the better stats for longer stretches.

I just don’t see anyone on the UFA market who can fix our goaltending unless we could get Korpisalo. And even he isn’t guaranteed. Vejmelka seems like someone on the radar of a more analytical front office, which is what FSG is targeting.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There were so many good and cheap goalies last summer. It was such a terrible move to lock up CDS early. Just imagine if we got Samsonov instead of re-signing CDS?
Yup agreed. It was such an unnecessary and dumb move. Between that move and not getting another goalie at the deadline, it was clear Sleepy didn’t have a clue.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m actually shocked lazy ass Hextall didn’t re-sign Jarry at some point this season.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
What conundrum?

XJ9E5tZ.jpg
You need to post this on Sully's and Dubas' garage doors before the draft/ufa. Maybe Dubas can trade his rights lol.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

He can also control where he goes to an extent. Not a full no trade, but he can have a little control. All of those factors usually lead to not a big price tags… which is exactly why he’s my number 1 target. Imagine stabilizing the goalie position while only giving up Granlund, POJ and like a 3rd?

Biggems

Jun 27, 2023
Hey guys, new to the board. I am from South Texas, but have been a Penguins fan since the late 80s, when I first saw Super Mario on ESPN.

I am done with Jarry. He was a decent goalie at first, but now he is always getting injured. Also, he has too much trouble securing the puck on shots. Because of this, he gives up a lot of rebound goals. He has yet to solve the high shot over his glove shoulder. It is automatic for the opposition.

I thought DeSmith was going to be the answer, but he too is a major suckfest. I really miss Flower.

We need two new goalies.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys, new to the board. I am from South Texas, but have been a Penguins fan since the late 80s, when I first saw Super Mario on ESPN.

I am done with Jarry. He was a decent goalie at first, but now he is always getting injured. Also, he has too much trouble securing the puck on shots. Because of this, he gives up a lot of rebound goals. He has yet to solve the high shot over his glove shoulder. It is automatic for the opposition.

I thought DeSmith was going to be the answer, but he too is a major suckfest. I really miss Flower.

We need two new goalies.

Ideally yea 2 new goalies should be on the menu
Realistically they should ship 1 of these clowns out. You can't run this same tandem back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad