OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No shortage of clients then. I am sure you have been told to get your money up front or at least get good security for payment. When I started in the 60's I found I had clients who would not or could not pay and then clients who I did not want but would pay my larger than usual fee so I felt obliged--bills to pay right? Good luck and never get to close with the clientele!

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
No shortage of clients then. I am sure you have been told to get your money up front or at least get good security for payment. When I started in the 60's I found I had clients who would not or could not pay and then clients who I did not want but would pay my larger than usual fee so I felt obliged--bills to pay right? Good luck and never get to close with the clientele!
Public defender work, lotta policy stuff right now with juvenile offenders

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
just emailed the last assignment of law school, a position paper on cyber rights for children

for all intents and purposes, I am done with law school, SU Law '19, 9 years of school and 3 13/14ths degrees later (never did finish that nuclear physics class)

start work in Philly mid January

Congrats! Doesn't a January start mean you'll be working before taking the bar? How on earth are you planning on working and studying at the same time? I'd die lol.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I'll second the Toyota recommendation. Typically very solid and holds value well. The Camry Hybrid will pretty much last forever, though it'll be boring AF to drive. Same with the Prius.

I had a 2012 Mazda 3 hatch (used) and put around 50k miles on it over 3 years with zero issues. The Mazda 3/6 line is reasonably reliable and a bit more sporty.

Newer GM (2015 and on) have done well.

Honda, Hyundai/Kia all produce somewhat reliable cars. I'd suggest investing in a consumer reports subscription (online) for a year to get all their data about specific model years.

I'd avoid any FCA (Fiat Chrysler America) Cars (Jeep, Dodge, Fiat, Chrysler), VW, used older higher end (BMW/Mercades) as the cost of ownership and repair is through the roof. An older Lexus is basically a souped up Toyota, but you'd have to go to much older model years to get to 12k budget.

I have the 2016 Mazda 3 Grand Touring with Thule roof rack combo. It's amazing, love everything about it except it's a little small. It's similar to the Subaru Crosstrek but 5,000 cheaper with higher upgrades.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tage dolls are a hot item here at Kohl's!!!
20181221_061733.jpg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's funny to me that my economics professor doesn't seem to care about hard numbers when grading.
He must be of the Austrian school. ;)

Speaking of economics, I thought of a get-rich quick scheme yesterday. (My creativity begins to flow when I begin my vacation.) I'm going to start an on-demand ride & transportation company available to the general public. My drivers will all be topless. I'm going to call it "boober".

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Speaking of economics, I thought of a get-rich quick scheme yesterday. (My creativity begins to flow when I begin my vacation.) I'm going to start an on-demand ride & transportation company available to the general public. My drivers will all be topless. I'm going to call it "boober".

I would suggest starting with test markets in warmer parts of the US.

Nevada seems a perfect place to start.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

As long as you only employ women, and they're well proportioned women please keep us posted!

My neighbor Donald Pipkin, who drives for Lyft, has Gynecomastia, and that would not be good a look for your service....

"What has been seen cannot be unseen" - Riders would need Clorox to clean out their eyes.....:speechles

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Shhh, no, that's my thing. Can't have everyone getting in on it.

Tax law is the best law and as long as we have a Congress that likes to simplify the tax code, we will always have more work. (Simplfying the tax code always means making it more complicated like how we got 199A, the 20 percent deduction this go around).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tax law is the best law and as long as we have a Congress that likes to simplify the tax code, we will always have more work. (Simplfying the tax code always means making it more complicated like how we got 199A, the 20 percent deduction this go around).

I love it. I think a lot of law students don't really give it a chance because they confuse what tax lawyers do with what accountants do, and they didn't go to law school to become CPAs. It's really interesting and good work, though -- the law is constantly changing, there's a lot of room to be creative on the transactional side of things, and the demand will always be there.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For those music lovers of you who haven’t seen this cool little website ..

You type in a band/artist name and the ones that pop up close to that artist, you are most likely to enjoy as well.
Of course it’s not foolproof and there may be bands you hate near the artist you like ... again, it’s “most likely” to enjoy as well.
I have found it accurate most of the time for most artists.
Have fun...

Music-Map - The Tourist Map of Music

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I love it. I think a lot of law students don't really give it a chance because they confuse what tax lawyers do with what accountants do, and they didn't go to law school to become CPAs. It's really interesting and good work, though -- the law is constantly changing, there's a lot of room to be creative on the transactional side of things, and the demand will always be there.

Plus the clients are more interesting. Get to see a wide variety of people and the ins and outs of how they make money. Most tax controversy stuff gets really interesting as well when the IRS gets involved and even more interesting with SALT.

Overall tax > criminal.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Plus the clients are more interesting. Get to see a wide variety of people and the ins and outs of how they make money. Most tax controversy stuff gets really interesting as well when the IRS gets involved and even more interesting with SALT.

Overall tax > criminal.

Yeah, the breadth of tax work is pretty incredible. There's almost no transaction/life event that isn't touched by taxes. I hadn't really given much thought to SALT until a recent interview I had with a firm that does a lot of it, but there's some really interesting stuff there. I've done some controversy work via clinics and internships. It's not bad, but I'm definitely leaning more toward pursuing transactional/planning work post-grad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad