OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Dunno... exactly where do you live again? :D

I'm actually considering Cuba next. I'd love to see it before it gets all commercialized.

It's a bit sad... opulent 5 star hotels line Parque Central for Europeans and Canadians...Cubans, other than staff, aren't even allowed in the buildings.

Not even a block away there are families living without electricity or running water on $20 a month and s government stipend.

The people are wonderful considering the circumstances. The old architecture is magnificent and delapitated . The scars of a failed philosophy are evident everywhere.

I often shutter when I hear "I want get there before the U.S. ruins it". It has already been ruined. Commercialization can only bring hope, prosperity and a better life for 12 million people that deserve so much better.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's a bit sad... opulent 5 star hotels line Parque Central for Europeans and Canadians...Cubans, other than staff, aren't even allowed in the buildings.

Not even a block away there are families living without electricity or running water on $20 a month and s government stipend.

The people are wonderful considering the circumstances. The old architecture is magnificent and delapitated . The scars of a failed philosophy are evident everywhere.

I often shutter when I hear "I want get there before the U.S. ruins it". It has already been ruined. Commercialization can only bring hope, prosperity and a better life for 12 million people that deserve so much better.

That's like that in every resort destination. Jamaica was fine inside the resorts but outside was putrid. Bahamas is ok near the cruise port but a block or two in the wrong direction and it's scary.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm actually considering Cuba next. I'd love to see it before it gets all commercialized.

I would never go to a place like Cuba or China.

All your "rich" American money is doing is helping to prop up their repressive Communist system to keep people in chains for years more. I think it's an extremely selfish decision to "vacation" in a place like that, but as always, to each his/her own. Something to think about though.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Meh. I didn't say anything about commercialization ruining it. I just want to see it as-is currently.

I tend to take "roughing it" vacations every once in a while. We went to Dominica a few years back (NOT the Dominican Republic) where there weren't really many hotels or restaurants. If you wanted to eat out, you'd go to a local family and ask for them to make extra portions for some money. It was pretty cool, although before we figured everything out I was getting ready to boil my own sneakers for food.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

All your "rich" American money is doing is helping to prop up their repressive Communist system to keep people in chains for years more. I think it's an extremely selfish decision to "vacation" in a place like that, but as always, to each his/her own. Something to think about though.

I tend to agree with you but I have a slightly different take on the situation. Nearly 100% of my vacation time and money is spent fishing. I've seen first hand how that industry creates wealth and opportunities where literally none existed before. Small coastal towns all over the Caribbean have learned that if they protect their resources and keep them pristine people will come and pay them money for the experience. Schools are built, business are created and local people experience a better quality of life...This is true in Cuba too. The Guides and Dive Masters in Cuba are like rock stars in their communities. They bring in a ton of resources that actually do directly benefit the people. I suppose that type of outing is not your typical "vacation" but I think with a little research you could plan a more typical type of vacation that truly benefits the people and limits the Cuban government profiting. You can't totally cut them out because they have their hand in almost everything but there is a lot you can do.

Meh. I didn't say anything about commercialization ruining it. I just want to see it as-is currently.

I tend to take "roughing it" vacations every once in a while. We went to Dominica a few years back (NOT the Dominican Republic) where there weren't really many hotels or restaurants. If you wanted to eat out, you'd go to a local family and ask for them to make extra portions for some money. It was pretty cool, although before we figured everything out I was getting ready to boil my own sneakers for food.

I know you didn't say that, but I just have heard so many people say "I need to get there before Americans ruin it" And that always rubbed me the wrong way.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave. iPhone 8 and iPhone X - *yawn*. That was 1 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don't know why the media and people still care. The changes to these phones are so incremental now.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i'll only get peeved if they remove the headphone jack from the macbook. i use bluetooth headphones anyway and they give headphones compatible with the lightning port along with the dongle that has the jack so I don't really see that as a problem. but what's weird to me is that they're not giving a usb-c to lightning cable with the new iphones. so a new iphone and macbook can't be connected right out of the box with the wires they give, which is dumb.

also with the new macbook pro the charger doesn't have the hooks on it to neatly put away the wires when traveling with it and nor did they give an extension cable for the charger with it. i understand the cost cuts but for something that costs well over a 1000 you don't think they would remove accessories like that that came standard with previous generations.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I mean, they give you a headphone jack converter with the phone. I use mine every day. And an adapter to split charging/headphones was like $8 on Amazon. It sucks but it's not the end of the world.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Not to mention that place is soooooo far away from being commercialized. OK maybe there is a small pocket here and there, but that is then surrounded by miles and miles of ruined buildings.

You can give tips directly to the people. Hard to say how much of the cost of my trip went to gov't(my guess is not as much as you think), but I know where my tips went.

Cuba is def a place worth visiting, it's certainly not your typical vacation, it is almost like a vacation wrapped in a civics lesson.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

100% agreed BG

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Not having a headphone jack on the iPhone 7 has been annoying AF. The little adapter thing works fine but it's annoying to have to always have on hand for earbuds or an auxiliary output.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I cant believe there are 20-somethings on here with Iphones.

I thought the Iphone was at the point 70% of their owners were >= something like 47 years old.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I feel like the headphone jack thing is like how I initially felt when I found out the new car I was looking to buy last year didn't have a CD player. After thinking about it I was like... when was the last time I bought a cd, let alone lugged around my 250cd case. I decided to not let this bug me. I also bought wireless ear buds last year and will never go back to wired and almost cutting the cord a million times as I mow my lawn.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Happened to watch WWE Smackdown for the first time in a long time and I see a 72 year old Vince McMahon take a legit headbutt and a frog splash from a 265 pound guy just to sell a match. Guy is crazy. :laugh:

Respect.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Not having a headphone jack on the iPhone 7 has been annoying AF. The little adapter thing works fine but it's annoying to have to always have on hand for earbuds or an auxiliary output.

I just keep it attached to my earbuds. The only difference between my 6 and 7, in that case, was that my earbud cable is now like 1.5" longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad