Tribute The Ten Best NSH Preds Ever Are:

The ten best NSH Preds ever are:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If you want an accurate poll, can't you add guys like Sullivan and Arnott? Because we can still switch votes, right? Just to make it "real". :dunno:

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Thanks! It's funny, though... I start to look at the career stats of these guys, and... maybe in a statistical retrospective they don't actually look as impressive as what I have been carrying in my head about their contributions? Anyway, I wanted to switch out my P.Forsberg vote, so I'm happy to have done that for Sullivan.
:handclap:

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'll never forget Sullivan's hat trick in his first game with us because it was the first time it felt like we had a truly skilled player on our team. I did love a lot of the OG Predators but their points always felt like they came from outworking the other team. With Sullivan it for the first time felt like we actually had a guy who could out talent the other team.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Even then. Kariya was a very good NHL player. But he didn't play 1000 games or get 1000 points or win any major awards. Rinne should have been ahead of him on the all-time NHL list no matter what criteria were employed? :dunno:
He had 989 GP and 989 P though so the 1000 threshold is sort of just an arbitrary round number. I personally would have Rinne and Kariya pretty closely ranked but I think if you polled across the league Kariya would end up higher. No better demonstration of that than Kariya being a HOFer when Rinne is pretty unlikely to make it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
There can be only one!
1728328913554.png

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Also, remember when it comes to the Hall of Fame, it's the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the NHL hall of fame. It includes Olympics. Kariya was top scorer on Silver Medal team and 2nd on the team in goals on the Gold Medal team.
Kariya won a Hobey Baker too. But even just looking at their NHL careers I'd say they were pretty equivalent caliber of players. I don't think it's any disrespect to Rinne to say that Kariya was a great player too.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess to me a Vezina should be the deciding factor. Kariya was a very good player, no disrespect intended. Rinne was actually the best player at his position, in the entire league, though. But I do agree they are in the same overall "tier".

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I guess to me a Vezina should be the deciding factor. Kariya was a very good player, no disrespect intended. Rinne was actually the best player at his position, in the entire league, though. But I do agree they are in the same overall "tier".
Kariya was a runner up for a Hart in 96-97 losing to Hasek so while there isn't a specific best forward in the league award if there was one he'd have won it that season.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Kariya was a runner up for a Hart in 96-97 losing to Hasek so while there isn't a specific best forward in the league award if there was one he'd have won it that season.
And not to mention while Pekka did win the Vezina, lets not act like he just overwhelmed everyone that year. If I remember correctly, it was basically a season where everyone was pretty much good but not great, so they gave it to the old guy who had always been good but never won it. It was more of career award than being better than everyone else that season.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
And not to mention while Pekka did win the Vezina, lets not act like he just overwhelmed everyone that year. If I remember correctly, it was basically a season where everyone was pretty much good but not great, so they gave it to the old guy who had always been good but never won it. It was more of career award than being better than everyone else that season.
No, that's not accurate. Pekka put us on his back the last third of the season and dragged us to the Presidents Cup. He wasn't a prohibitive favorite but he was clearly going to win

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No, that's not accurate. Pekka put us on his back the last third of the season and dragged us to the Presidents Cup. He wasn't a prohibitive favorite but he was clearly going to win
I just remember the convo among HF that he was going to get it because there wasn't really anyone else that was head and shoulders above. If you look at the stats for that season most of the better starters were all within a stones throw of one another on just about every stat.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't understand voting for Kariya on this list at all. If it said 10 best hockey players that played for the Preds at some point, then yes, but it says the 10 best Nashville Predators.

I loved Kariya's time here, his signing was a huge moment for the franchise and he set records with the team, but it was still just a short two seasons. Say what you will about him, but a player such as Ryan Johansen who has exactly 0 votes here, contributed far more to the Predators than Kariya.

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN
I don't understand voting for Kariya on this list at all. If it said 10 best hockey players that played for the Preds at some point, then yes, but it says the 10 best Nashville Predators.

I loved Kariya's time here, his signing was a huge moment for the franchise and he set records with the team, but it was still just a short two seasons. Say what you will about him, but a player such as Ryan Johansen who has exactly 0 votes here, contributed far more to the Predators than Kariya.
I can tell you why I voted for him. I just like him. I like what he did when he was here, and they were memorable years for me. There wasn't a defining element to "best" so he is one of the best to me.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
His two seasons are the T-4th and 7th best point totals in Preds history. I get the argument that his tenure was too short to be one of the top players in our history, but if you're going off how good they were regardless of length of tenure he's definitely up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad