The Tank Megathread Part IV -- All Tank Talk & Standings Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Would you take Kane over Toews?

It's a big three of forwards in this draft as far as Im concerned, Mathews with the Finns right there in his tier.

Kane this year has been amazing but if we're going off career numbers, I would take a 70 point Selke centre over a 85 point winger. You really can't go wrong with either.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kane this year has been amazing but if we're going off career numbers, I would take a 70 point Selke centre over a 85 point winger. You really can't go wrong with either.

Point is I cant help but shake my head at people who scoff at the idea of building around a winger, when you looks at guys like Kane, Ovechkin, Perry, Jagr, Kovalchuk etc...if you're talking about a top 3 pick with that kind of talent...you jump all over it.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Point is I cant help but shake my head at people who scoff at the idea of building around a winger, when you looks at guys like Kane, Ovechkin, Perry, Jagr, Kovalchuk etc...if you're talking about a top 3 pick with that kind of talent...you jump all over it.

Oh I have nothing against building around a winger, but when the players are this close and there isn't much separating them I would take the centre. I also dislike the notion that wingers can't be franchise players as you've stated there are numerous examples.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

You don't build around 1 player to be truly successful. Chicago doesn't only have Kane.

Toews, Keith are arguably as important.

The only elite players in their position the canucks have are the Sedins. And they are no longer in their prime.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh I have nothing against building around a winger, but when the players are this close and there isn't much separating them I would take the centre. I also dislike the notion that wingers can't be franchise players as you've stated there are numerous examples.

I mean, I'd rather build the franchise around #1 C or #1 D first and foremost as well - but I can't see how bringing in young superstar winger is a bad thing, either.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Bo Horvat now leads the league in plus/minus. He is a -19. He is ranked #774 out of #774.

25zsf81.jpg

That is incredibly awful. Like, words can't describe how awful that is. For a guy who was supposed to be defensively sound, a -19 at the halfway point of the season is always incomprehensible. I am not bad mouthing the guy, I am just gobsmacked by how bad of a sophomore year he is having.

It's way too long and way too bad of a streak for people to just write it off as a "sophomore slump". There is cleary something wrong.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Bo Horvat now leads the league in plus/minus. He is a -19. He is ranked #774 out of #774.

25zsf81.jpg

That is incredibly awful. Like, words can't describe how awful that is. For a guy who was supposed to be defensively sound, a -19 at the halfway point of the season is always incomprehensible. I am not bad mouthing the guy, I am just gobsmacked by how bad of a sophomore year he is having.

It's way too long and way too bad of a streak for people to just write it off as a "sophomore slump". There is cleary something wrong.

I'm not looking too much into it because the Canucks aren't a very good team and Horvat is being forced to play against other teams top lines. If Horvat not being able to shut down the other teams top players at 20 is disappointing then sure he has been, but then also your expectations may be a little high.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

25zsf81.jpg

Disagree. I'm watching pretty closely and IMO, Horvat hasn't been any worse than say McCann or Burr.

I think what's skewing Bo's numbers is the fact that he's eating the most minutes amongst centres not named Hank Sedin.

Not worried at all.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

25zsf81.jpg

majority of defensive zone starts on a team that has really only 3 NHL D and you're surprised that his numbers aren't great?

The only thing wrong is our coach's deployment of him. And plus/minus is prob one of the dumbest stats there is.

but go ahead and continue on whatever agenda you wanted to

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You don't build around 1 player to be truly successful. Chicago doesn't only have Kane.

The only elite players in their position the canucks have are the Sedins. And they are no longer in their prime.
And Hossa.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
+-. William Karlsson a player Tortorella has recently singled out for being good.

Marleau - Stamkos - Eberle

Burns - Faulk

- 62 or something. Still would have taken them.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Two Finns are looking pretty strong , not sure the gap between them and Mathews is very big.

Honestly, Jesse Puljujarvi has the potential to be the best player in this draft, and IMO just 1 tier off of mcdavid from last year.

This guy has absolutely ridiculous tools, his size, speed, hands, vision, overall hockey IQ, just amazing. The guy is the next Malkin, I have never been so sure about a superstar prospect in my life.

Just look at this package.

And that was LAST year, he is even better.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Conn Smythe winning Duncan Keith ain't too shabby.

Neither is Drew Doughty, Scott Neidermayer, Zdeno Chara and Nick Lidstrom.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

25zsf81.jpg

Wouldn't the length of a "sophomore slump" by definition, be approximately one (1) entire sophomore season? :D

I mean, it's concerning and he's had a miserable second season. But it hasn't helped that the guy brought in to insulate him, has been unexpectedly injured for a good portion of the year now. This is trial by fire...and he's burning. This is what a happens on a team bad enough to be called "tanking". In this case, it's at least partially about an injury to a player that should be insulating here. But it's a good taste of what throwing a bunch of rookies into the fire can look like. Little preview of a "full blown rebuild", where a guy like Horvat is asked to do way more than he's ready for. :dunno:

Any "tank team" is going to necessarily have guys leading the league in the most ugly of categories. Plus/Minus chief among them. Any team bad enough to "tank", will be bad enough to have a horrendous goal differential, a bunch of young/inexperienced players drowning in their minutes...and as a result of that, a long long list of minuses compiled over a season.

Bo being deep in the minus territory, is exactly what "tanking" is about.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It's absolutely vital the Canucks get a top 6 pick this year.

There are basically 6 players who I would consider "Potential elite" prospects.

We have to get one of them, have too!

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It's absolutely vital the Canucks get a top 6 pick this year.

There are basically 6 players who I would consider "Potential elite" prospects.

We have to get one of them, have too!

Yep. Simply put, we have to get an elite potential prospect, or else this rebuild is going to go on for way too long. Gotta start acquiring the higher tier of guys now. We have the complimentary type potential guys... Now it's time to draft some superstars.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Aims for 100+ point team, currently 22nd in league and 2 points from 28th.

I think the only team that actually acknowledged a tank publicly in recent memory was Buffalo. It's sort of taboo in the NHL to actually say you're chasing a high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad