The struggles of Crosby, Kunitz, Hornqvist, and Perron

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Gotta say - this is a fall from grace that I never saw coming. This is truly the nadir of Geno's career so far.

Historically, this has to be by far one of the least productive stretches of his career. It's mind blowing to me that a guy with his level of talents can go 12 consecutive NHL games without tallying a single point.

I get that he was playing injured last year, but still - it's just unacceptable.

What's the solution? I gotta say, I was always firmly in the "never trade Malkin" camp, however, I might be willing to change my stance on that unless he picks up his game.

What do you guys think the issue is here?

My take is that Hornqvist and Geno just totally lack any sort of chemistry whatsoever. I can't say I understand that line combo at all. Hornqvist seems to mesh a lot better with Sid if you ask me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As a coach, getting him off the snide would be a bit of a priority. Keep juggling the lines for him until something sticks/happens.

Do not be surprised if Malkin suddenly snaps out of it the day after you trade him in your scenario.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
And 3 points in his last 17 games. He's either fallen off a cliff in his decline from an elite player, or there's something seriously wrong with the way the Penguins play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What's the solution? I gotta say, I was always firmly in the "never trade Malkin" camp, however, I might be willing to change my stance on that unless he picks up his game.

Yes, his last 12 games (2 with new linemates, 10 while hurt) definitely override his previous 400 or so games.

My take is that Hornqvist and Geno just totally lack any sort of chemistry whatsoever. I can't say I understand that line combo at all. Hornqvist seems to mesh a lot better with Sid if you ask me.

Yep, Malkin hasn't produced in the last 12 games because he has spent the last 2 games with Hornqvist. Yep.

My take: the entire team is struggling offensively right now, so it's not something unique to Malkin. Of those 12 games, he was hurt in 10 of them, so I'm not going to go jump off the Fort Pitt bridge yet.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He was hurt near the end of last season and he needs a new LW or a whole new line. Relax. The problem isn't the generational player.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, his last 12 games (2 with new linemates, 10 while hurt) definitely override his previous 400 or so games.

Yep, Malkin hasn't produced in the last 12 games because he has spent the last 2 games with Hornqvist. Yep.

My take: the entire team is struggling offensively right now, so it's not something unique to Malkin. Of those 12 games, he was hurt in 10 of them, so I'm not going to go jump off the Fort Pitt bridge yet.

Yeah, I'll let the last 10 go. As for these two. No shooter on his line and Rob Scuderi behind him for most of his shifts. It's not conducive to offense. That's why I said, as a coach, I'd mix it up for him and do things to get him off the snide. Johnston won't, so whatever.

And 3 points in his last 17 games. He's either fallen off a cliff in his decline from an elite player, or there's something seriously wrong with the way the Penguins play.

There also is something wrong with the way the Pens play. Geno enters the zone these two games. Both guys go to the net, two defenders go to him, and his option is to hit a trailing Rob Scuderi.

I mean, ****, for years this organization has set him up to fail. Sid too. Why should any of this be a surprise.

Personally, I want to see Geno traded for the same reason I wanted to see Despres traded.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'll let the last 10 go. As for these two. No shooter on his line and Rob Scuderi behind him for most of his shifts. It's not conducive to offense. That's why I said, as a coach, I'd mix it up for him and do things to get him off the snide. Johnston won't, so whatever..

If he's still not producing anything if he has Perron on his line and Letang as the D pair out with him, then I'll be concerned. It's just not a concern of mine right now.

The Pens issue right now is that they have 1 D pair that can actually contribute offensively. Any pair with Lovejoy or Scuderi is incapable of producing anything offensively. I don't know why MJ is so insistent on using the D to create offense, we clearly don't have the players to do that. It's a systematic issue, hence why we have 1 goal (an unassisted goal that Kessel did by himself) in 2 games so far. MJ's system doesn't work when we have Scuderi and Lovejoy in our top-6. We probably need at least 3 Letangs (so 3 #1 OFD) for his system to be effective at the NHL level. I just hope he realizes this and changes to literally anything else before it's too late.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If he's still not producing anything if he has Perron on his line and Letang as the D pair out with him, then I'll be concerned. It's just not a concern of mine right now.

The Pens issue right now is that they have 1 D pair that can actually contribute offensively. Any pair with Lovejoy or Scuderi is incapable of producing anything offensively. I don't know why MJ is so insistent on using the D to create offense, we clearly don't have the players to do that. It's a systematic issue, hence why we have 1 goal (an unassisted goal that Kessel did by himself) in 2 games so far. MJ's system doesn't work when we have Scuderi and Lovejoy in our top-6. We probably need at least 3 Letangs (so 3 #1 OFD) for his system to be effective at the NHL level. I just hope he realizes this and changes to literally anything else before it's too late.

True, but again, if it doesn't work with Perron, then try Bennett. Try Sprong. And, if that doesn't work, try it without Hornqvist.

Said this in another thread. My only two concerns as a bench boss of the Pens are whether Sid is going and whether Geno is going. Who cares about status or skill or whatever. Find something that works, and don't create artificial barriers to doing it. Stick with it. And, if it stops working or isn't working in a game, change it up.

But, no, it's easier to say 'maybe we should trade him' or 'maybe he's done' than it is to say 'maybe we should find someone with better than a peewee coach pedigree for this team first'.

Seriously,he probably does need a change of scenario.And the pens need a (small) rebuild.

The Penguins organization has created the circumstances where he may arrive at that conclusion. It most definitely would be the best thing for him.

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
it really isn't hard at all. just give him a few games with Kessel on his right and one of Plotnikov, Bennett or Kunitz on the LW.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
First Staal, now Malkin ... maybe Geno just needs to spend less time on social media, eh?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
All I can think

Is Geno is royally *****ing sick of this organization, as is Sid too probably.
At least Geno finally said something.

But the rot is seriously deep. Far deeper than MJ. Though he gots to go too. As long as people upstairs are pulling strings on the likes of the Despres trade, we're done like last night's dinner.

And this team's history of killing coaches is finally biting them in the azz, and there will not be much in the way of pedigree coaches that would touch us with a 10 foot pole.

Perhaps J Martin is all we got near term. But again, it is deeper than that.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
Maybe he needs to rough up some taxi driver or get drunk at some frat party

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Other than a brief thing with Comeau he just hasn't been able to find chemistry with a linemate since Neal left. Nothing against Hornqvist. There are things Horny does better than Neal but breaking up the proven chemistry of Malkin/Neal was one of the risks in that deal.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
His game has been figured out by the league. If I can predict exactly what he's going to do as soon as the puck touches his stick, so can the people who analyze opponents for a living. It doesn't matter where he goes, he's never adjusted his style in 8, now 9, seasons.

Just watch the next game. If he takes the puck around the opponents blue line, 1 of 2 things is going to happen: 1. He's going to try to skate through the whole defense or 2. He's going to try to skate to side lane and leave it for a tailing player. If he takes it on the wing, he's going to skate to the corner, where he'll either be squeezed off the puck or they'll let him skate around the goalie into oblivion.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He had 10 points in 9 World Championship games in between last year and this year, so I don't think it's a degradation in Malkin's skill level or anything. Plus he produced in the pre-season.

He was injured last year and the team is off to a collectively poor start this year. And he's playing with a winger he never meshed with last year, and probably won't this year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Him and Sid's struggles are of huge concern right now. The ironic thing is we HAVENT been that bad defensively so far to start the season. Our offense should be able to overcome giving up 5 goals in 2 games.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Gotta say - this is a fall from grace that I never saw coming. This is truly the nadir of Geno's career so far.

Historically, this has to be by far one of the least productive stretches of his career. It's mind blowing to me that a guy with his level of talents can go 12 consecutive NHL games without tallying a single point.

I get that he was playing injured last year, but still - it's just unacceptable.

What do you guys think the issue is here?

Johnston is clearly part of the problem. Doesn't use Geno in EN situations, doesn't try to find the right mix for the top 6. Just has one idea and sticks with it, not unlike another ex-Pens coach.

Personally I'd try the bolded, ie. Kessel with Malkin. That's due to the lack of offense so far, and from the fact that we already know Sid and Hornqvist have chemistry, and Geno and Hornqvist do not. Either way, Malkin's line needs to be adjusted. Swap Hornqvist for Kessel, or Plotnikov for Perron, or both. And give that new line a chance to gel: some practice time, a game or two...you know, like a smart, non-juniors coach would have done in the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad