The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 53.5%
  • B

Votes: 136 35.5%
  • C

Votes: 37 9.7%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I *honestly* don't know what the right call is with Jake Evans, and i'm his #1 fan

he will never be anything more than a perfect 4th line center, he does bring some veteran vibes to the team (my man is 28 already), everyone seems to like him
It will depends a lot on how Kapanen and Beck looks like by the deadline, what are Evans's contractual ask and his trade return.

And "everyone seems to like him", lets that not be a reason to keep Dvorak around over Evans.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think they'll just sign Evans. Using Girgensons/Kampf as a comparable you'd be looking at something around 4x2.5M on an extension. I don't think they really want to use rookies as a 3C/4C replacement for Evans and at that price, there's not much point in trading him for a 4th just to go UFA shopping for a replacement at around the same cost anyway.

Signing him from age 29-32 is probably "bad" value in a $/WAR pure moneypuck sense but I don't think that really matters. He fills a roster chair as a 4C/PK safety blanket and provides a good measuring stick for guys like Beck and Kapanen.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not to be accusatory since being a mod is a thankless job, but history shows us that things tend to get very bad/toxic long before the mods step in. Like I said I don't think right now it is anywhere close to that toxic level so I can understand the tolerance, it's just a dedicated thread that isn't the OOT thread where all of that "discussion" could take place would probably make for a healthier board.

Anyways that's the last I'll say about it since these posts could also be considered pollution for what should be a thread about the next steps in the rebuild.
If you think that it’s going overboard or if you start seeing drive-by crappy posts, report it.

Mods are posters just like you are. We aren’t in every thread and we miss stuff. A lot of times a report can be handy in helping us to see what’s going on. We may not know that a thread is going off the rails because we’re not there.

But this thread is about the state of the rebuild. Not everyone will agree we’re on the right track. It’s perfectly valid to argue that we’re not and use that pick as a reason why.

We don’t want to police opinion. People can argue whatever they like. But as I said, there are limits. It’s got to be constructive in this thread if you want to bring him up.

Out of Town is a little more open. That’s the comings and goings of the league and not a particular topic so we’re probably going to be a little more liberal there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I *honestly* don't know what the right call is with Jake Evans, and i'm his #1 fan

he will never be anything more than a perfect 4th line center, he does bring some veteran vibes to the team (my man is 28 already), everyone seems to like him
He’s just fine for the role he’s in. Solid 4th liner. If the money’s right, I’m good with re-sibling him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It will depends a lot on how Kapanen and Beck looks like by the deadline, what are Evans's contractual ask and his trade return.

And "everyone seems to like him", lets that not be a reason to keep Dvorak around over Evans.
Dvorak is gone. His first 7 games pretty much guarantee that. He has been inconsistent all his career and it has not change this year.

He’s just fine for the role he’s in. Solid 4th liner. If the money’s right, I’m good with re-sibling him.
It will all be about the money and term. If he's willing to sign 2-3 years for +10-15% increase they will likely sign him. If not then they'll have to think about it.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think they'll just sign Evans. Using Girgensons/Kampf as a comparable you'd be looking at something around 4x2.5M on an extension. I don't think they really want to use rookies as a 3C/4C replacement for Evans and at that price, there's not much point in trading him for a 4th just to go UFA shopping for a replacement at around the same cost anyway.

Signing him from age 29-32 is probably "bad" value in a $/WAR pure moneypuck sense but I don't think that really matters. He fills a roster chair as a 4C/PK safety blanket and provides a good measuring stick for guys like Beck and Kapanen.
I'd definitely not sign him 4 years personally. I'd go shopping on the market for shorter term instead.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yeah there's no way Dvorak is back imo. 0. Maybe if he picks up his game and Hughes retains at the deadline they get like a 3rd. Maybe.
I agree they resign Evans. It's a no-brainer. Unless he's asking for too much. I can't imagine someone offers a 1st at the deadline, so I'd keep him.
Beck, Kapanen, Hage etc aren't going to be elite PKers within a year or two. And some of these guys can be moved to the wing permanently - on in the meantime.
I was happy to see Dach bounce back last night. He's the wildcard.
If he isn't, we're looking for that 2C again.
Although having another 6'4 winger with Slaf in top 6 isn't bad either.
Another big draft and landing on another elite forward would help.
One of Mailloux or Reinbacher hitting their RD potential would also help a lot.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I didn't think I even had to mention that Dvorak is gone, he's already gone in my mind, he doesn't exist we're just playing with 11 forwards every game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad