The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 53.8%
  • B

Votes: 136 35.7%
  • C

Votes: 35 9.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Part of the choices of the rebuild. They could've selected him, but didn't. You don't like it, but it is very much à propos. We're not talking of Bedard, whom we couldn't pick or any other player we couldn't pick.
The only way this fades away is if DR becomes a top 2.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
OK, so I'll wait 3 years to find some 6th rounder that becomes good and bitch about it in every thread, only to throw it back to the fact we 'could have picked him' during a rebuilding draft.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Let's get one thing straight. The Habs were NEVER going to pick Michkov. There were rumours coming out of Russia several months before the draft about this and most everyone chose to ignore them.

I like most, was disappointed that they did not pick Michkov, but I was expecting it totally. I would say that I was more disappointed that they did not chose Leonard.

Now back to the point of this thread...

I find that there are many similarities to this year's Habs and last season Sens.

Sens: Pierre Dorion states that the rebuild is over, and it is time to compete. The Sens ended up greatly disappointing their fans.

Habs: HuGo state that they expect to "be in the mix" this year. While this statement is not as egregious as Dorion's, both statements have raised expectations to levels that are probably unreachable. What is ironically funny, is that they might 'be in the mix' for another top 5 pick instead.

I never agreed with HuGo's statement, as this team still lacks true elite talent, as well as having insufficient depth to withstand injuries to important players, with their season going down the drain.

Let's remember that this team has not drafted a single 40 goal scorer or a PPG player since 2003. I didn't bother going back further. The team is also handicapped due to the fact that it is about equal to Winnipeg as a desirable destination for UFAs.

They need Demidov to at least reach his potential, and at least one or two more prospects to truly be home runs before we can even hope to truly compete.

This is still only year 3 of the rebuild after all. (Martone will be a wonderful add :towel:)

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
OK, so I'll wait 3 years to find some 6th rounder that becomes good and bitch about it in every thread, only to throw it back to the fact we 'could have picked him' during a rebuilding draft.

Don't be purposefully obtuse, as if you don't know that there's a massive difference of importance between a first round pick and a 6th round pick, as much as you also know that a 6th round pick is a project with very little likelyhood of producing a player, which makes it a simple gamble, while a top end first round pick has much more likelyhood of becoming a player, an important one. You know as well as anyone that the scouts and management's job and focus will be far more concentrated at the higher end of the draft, which is where their work also gets the more scrutiny.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

you're being so disingenuous I don't need to waste key presses on it, you already know how dumb that argument is

Let's get one thing straight. The Habs were NEVER going to pick Michkov. There were rumours coming out of Russia several months before the draft about this and most everyone chose to ignore them.

I like most, was disappointed that they did not pick Michkov, but I was expecting it totally. I would say that I was more disappointed that they did not chose Leonard.

Now back to the point of this thread...

I find that there are many similarities to this year's Habs and last season Sens.

Sens: Pierre Dorion states that the rebuild is over, and it is time to compete. The Sens ended up greatly disappointing their fans.

Habs: HuGo state that they expect to "be in the mix" this year. While this statement is not as egregious as Dorion's, both statements have raised expectations to levels that are probably unreachable. What is ironically funny, is that they might 'be in the mix' for another top 5 pick instead.

I never agreed with HuGo's statement, as this team still lacks true elite talent, as well as having insufficient depth to withstand injuries to important players, with their season going down the drain.

Let's remember that this team has not drafted a single 40 goal scorer or a PPG player since 2003. I didn't bother going back further. The team is also handicapped due to the fact that it is about equal to Winnipeg as a desirable destination for UFAs.

They need Demidov to at least reach his potential, and at least one or two more prospects to truly be home runs before we can even hope to truly compete.

This is still only year 3 of the rebuild after all. (Martone will be a wonderful add :towel:)

If the rumours are true then come out and say it, otherwise they are just that; rumors

until then, as far as we officially know, we willfully passed on a sure thing to make a bold pick. As a management when you decide to make a bold pick, you live with the pressure and criticism that comes with it, end of story

Note that I specificially targeted the management here, I feel bad for Reinbacher. I don't particularly believe in his play, but the situation is not his fault

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Notice the arrival of our shiney new pee wee QB has sent a message to the league.. time to feast on Habs D.. i guarantee there is not one F-line in the NHL that is not salivating when Hutson is on the ice

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
you're being so disingenuous I don't need to waste key presses on it, you already know how dumb that argument is

If the rumours are true then come out and say it, otherwise they are just that; rumors

until then, as far as we officially know, we willfully passed on a sure thing to make a bold pick. As a management when you decide to make a bold pick, you live with the pressure and criticism that comes with it, end of story

Note that I specificially targeted the management here, I feel bad for Reinbacher. I don't particularly believe in his play, but the situation is not his fault
The "choice" was never btw RB and Mm... it was btw CC and MM (cant have two identical small players).
Neither are worth more than a 1RD...

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Notice the arrival of our shiney new pee wee QB has sent a message to the league.. time to feast on Habs D.. i guarantee there is not one F-line in the NHL that is not salivating when Hutson is on the ice
They salivate more when Savard is in the ice lol.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Don't be purposefully obtuse, as if you don't know that there's a massive difference of importance between a first round pick and a 6th round pick, as much as you also know that a 6th round pick is a project with very little likelyhood of producing a player, which makes it a simple gamble, while a top end first round pick has much more likelyhood of becoming a player, an important one. You know as well as anyone that the scouts and management's job and focus will be far more concentrated at the higher end of the draft, which is where their work also gets the more scrutiny.

Don't need an out of town thread, almost everyone in the league is a player we could have picked/signed/traded for but didn't. So let's pollute every thread with it.

Discuss his ass in the out of town thread so I don't have to see the collective wrist slitting seance. Especially since he'd be getting sewered here if we picked him and he only produced on the PP and was the minus 8 or whatever he is right now. Don't say it's any different because we see it already with Hutson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad