The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 53.8%
  • B

Votes: 136 35.7%
  • C

Votes: 35 9.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

Gaud

May 11, 2017
im dissapointed with our injuries, Laine especially seemed to take the wind out of montreal (players and fans alike). Mtl is getting destroyed out there, though i enjoyed that little bit when Suzuki stood up and scored 2 goals..........until NYR scored again and shut that up. There is still caracter there

However - its been a while since i stopped listening to Mtl media sports shows and podcasts (ex 5 à 7 and On Jase). OMG its soooo negative! Frig people - "Dans le mix" (in the mix) is synonym to "dont expect to make the playoffs". Now its all about "Fire MSL" or "bring in an experienced coach to help". Yesterday was "You think Kent Hughes is a genius? Joe Sakic just slipped him Barron and Newhook".

Medias keep talking about fans' pressure being too much, but you are weaponizing them day after day. It's getting as toxic as Ducharme's last days and theres only been 7 games played out of a season that is expected to not make the playoffs. Jesus.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Add Michkov and this team wouldn't be much better than it is currently. They certainly wouldn't allow any less goals.

If Dach and Newhook don't take the next step those will be huge holes in the lineup to fill and just plugging in new rookies will make it even harder for everybody else. Plus if Slaf doesn't progress to match his contract nothing else matters they will be dead in the water.

The mix at defense doesn't work, that should be clear to everybody. Can they afford to wait 2-3 years or more and hope Hutson, Reinbacher and Lane all mature at the same pace?

And last but not least the coach looks lost and can't get the team to play well collectively.

Unfortunately, it's not looking good and adding 1-2 very good 18 year-olds will not change the situation.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think DuPont's play warrants a WJC camp invite from what I've seen. He won't be of course, but had you told me he was an already drafted, first round, 19 year old prospect, I would have believed you. Would solve the RHD issue in a hurry.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Add in a first line forward at draft, i feel the top 6 future is more secure than the defense

Honestly, Reinbacher injury and uncertain top end, Guhle injury issues, Barron and Jackeye stagnated completely. Maillioux im just not sold on, there is no legit “the guy” on defense

I do like Hutson but not sure what he will be. Is the more exploiter type or can he round his game like Hughes or undersized defenseman

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
We really need some pieces to hit, especially our young defencemen. Most of them look like they're confused and in over their head right now in the NHL, and our two vets aren't strong enough to provide enough stability and cover for them. I'm wondering if we need to plan on drafting another D fairly high, maybe with FLA/CGY pick.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We really need some pieces to hit, especially our young defencemen. Most of them look like they're confused and in over their head right now in the NHL, and our two vets aren't strong enough to provide enough stability and cover for them. I'm wondering if we need to plan on drafting another D fairly high, maybe with FLA/CGY pick.
It takes about 5 years for Ds prospects to develop, some takes near ~10 years (see Petry/Matheson types).

Habs really need for Barron, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Reinbacher to find their stuff fast (or get traded for someone who is ready) more then drafting another D prospects in hopping to fix the current holes.

Reactions: Trabdy2

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Damn it the Rangers locked up Laffreniere

They will continue to be so scary good it’s not funny

Where r all those people who were calling him LaBust?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Damn it the Rangers locked up Laffreniere

They will continue to be so scary good it’s not funny

Where r all those people who were calling him LaBust?

Waiting for Mesar to go scoreless tonight.
Waiting for a Reinbacher mention.
Waiting for Slafkovsky to go scoreless next game.
Waiting for Demidov to use the mohawk skating technique.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
That is a lot of A's, probably from those that received participation awards right? Have to wonder what grade will be given when the team actually resembles a NHL roster that is competitive.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Add in a first line forward at draft, i feel the top 6 future is more secure than the defense

Honestly, Reinbacher injury and uncertain top end, Guhle injury issues, Barron and Jackeye stagnated completely. Maillioux im just not sold on, there is no legit “the guy” on defense

I do like Hutson but not sure what he will be. Is the more exploiter type or can he round his game like Hughes or undersized defenseman
As of right now sure the D has a lot of question marks and it's partly why I wouldn't lock us into drafting a forward with our top pick.

But it's also only been 7 games, so it's too early to say that Barron/Jackeye have stagnated or that Guhle can't play 70 games a season like he did last year. We should also have a much better idea on Hutson's potential assuming he stays healthy, which in itself would be a good sign for an undersized D.

As the 2nd youngest team in the league it's not surprising that we have a ton of question marks throughout the lineup, and sure those question marks have mostly come back negative over the first 7 games, but it's also just 7 games, it took Slaf 30ish games last year before finally turning it on, so we probably want to give it a lot more time before drawing any conclusions.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'm comfortable with our D if we go get a top 4 matured RHD next summer. So i would definately draft the best forward available with our pick next draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad