The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 54.4%
  • B

Votes: 135 35.8%
  • C

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think of Dach as being fast pre knee injury, and Slaf has some speed.

For sure HuGo will look to address the speed issue. For next year, Armia and Dvo come off the books. And we have Hage and Beck on the way. How's Demidov's speed. I think I've heard mixed reports. Some say he's fast. Some say he's average.
Demidov improved his speed from last year, but the top speed he was clocked at in the KHL isn't anything to scream about in the NHL (it's above average at least).

And people who think Evans is fast haven't checked his NHL edge data.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Max Lapierre is not looking at next year.
He's looking at the here and now he wants this team to be better and he's pointing out obvious flaws.
Max is a very smart guy and definitely knows what he is talking about.
The constant refrain on this board is oh next year this and next year that are going to happen.
Lapierre still has NHL DNA in his blood and looks at that as defeatism.
The team has regressed in his eyes as it has for some of us here there is no spark.

For sure the long term versus short term is the difference in the way HuGo see things and the way Max Lapierre sees things.

I would have liked to have signed Monahan. I can see the risks of 5 years. But he would have helped the team short term, and he may still be good at 33 and 34 in the final two years of his 5 year deal. But I can understand those who didn't want to take that risk.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
2021-2022: 32nd in GA
2022-2023: 29th in GA
2023-2024: 27th in GA
2024-2025: With only 7 games played we are once again 27th in GA/G

If you can't see progress that says more about you then it does the team.
Haha, what we have seen this year is progression. Badly outplayed in 6 of 7 games.

The bar is really freaking low for some. I bet you watched the ranger game and thought they didn’t play too bad.

Last edited:

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Sure we do just let us know when the ups start this season. :laugh:
The team just has to play better nothing more nothing less.
💯

It’s not about wins or loses. At the start of the year I said they would get about the same points they did last year.

It’s about how they are playing. I don’t care if they lose but play with energy, show up at puck drop, and don’t get globetrotted for minutes on end in their own zone.

Work hard and be competitive, ffs, is that too much to ask at this point of the rebuild? How anyone can watch these 7 games not expect more is crazy.

At some point you have to stop using the “rebuild” as an excuse and expect more. Next summer I expect Hugo to be very active, and we need to start seeing results on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
forgive me, I would say I come in paix, but that line needs to die painfully.

i’m curious, how much would it cost in draft pick to pick up Christian Dvorak?

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
draft picks? try canadian tire money

lol! Basically, I’m seeing rumors and trying to put the piece together. It looks like Barry Trotz has already started calling people about a center and the defenseman TSN has trade rumors with Utah and Montreal

Also, we remember with Christian Dvorak did to us when he was with the Yotes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
lol! Basically, I’m seeing rumors and trying to put the piece together. It looks like Barry Trotz has already started calling people about a center and the defenseman TSN has trade rumors with Utah and Montreal

Also, we remember with Christian Dvorak did to us when he was with the Yotes.

what did dvorak do to you? raid your vanilla ice cream supply?

we're actually pretty low on bodies due to injuries so we'd probably need one coming back, even if not necessarily in the same move as a dvorak trade. also doubtful that we could lose a center without one coming back somehow. habs don't really need any more late picks. They're more in need of a jolt than anything.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
what did dvorak do to you? raid your vanilla ice cream supply?

we're actually pretty low on bodies due to injuries so we'd probably need one coming back, even if not necessarily in the same move as a dvorak trade. also doubtful that we could lose a center without one coming back somehow. habs don't really need any more late picks. They're more in need of a jolt than anything.

I am curious do you have the same opinion about Justin Barron?

• Haha
Reactions: Chose

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Nah, our RD depth is way worse than our C depth, even without considering injuries. Barron is still super young and has been improving, albeit slowly. DVO has been getting worse and can't even be relied upon to win faceoffs anymore. Both probably drink pumpkin spice lattes.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
forgive me, I would say I come in paix, but that line needs to die painfully.

i’m curious, how much would it cost in draft pick to pick up Christian Dvorak?
He's been horrible here and looks totally checked out, Montreal has been treating him like a create-a-player 4C. They put Dach on the 1st line as a winger recently and instead of promoting Dvorak we left him at 4C and kept Evans at 3C to put a 21 year old rookie (Oliver Kapanen) at 2C which shows just how low they are on Dvorak right now. I think a mid-round pick and a replacement create-a-player would be enough as I don't think they have much hope left that he'll recover his value to be worth a 2nd at the deadline.

Right now it's probably still going to cost a 3rd but I honestly think we're getting toward the point where something like Jankowski (or any generic OK fourth liner with some grit) and a 5th round pick (4th if he's retained) would get it done if he doesn't improve his play in the next week or two. It's frustrating because I think the second he gets traded, he'll go back to being a 15-20G 35-45P guy.
I think the board does, I don't think management does. He would be available but it wouldn't be ultra cheap. He'd probably cost at least a 2nd if it's just a pick, but I don't think they'd bother yet as it's unlikely a 2nd rounder gives you a better toolset/profile than Barron for all his defensive warts and that player would be 4+ years away at minimum. Realistically it'd probably be more of a player + extra pick deal than a pure picks trade.

I haven't watched a single Predators game yet this year so I'm not sure about how the depth chart looks but I assume Carrier is off the table and Schenn doesn't really make sense for either side. I see Fabbro was a healthy scratch, Montreal would probably like him in a Barron trade. Lauzon could maybe be an option too, and I think they'd want a 3rd on top of either player to give up on Barron's upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: overlords

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Barron is younger and was showing progress despite getting clocked and is a very mobile RD.

Dvorak on the other hand has regressed after his last injury and I didn't think much of him even before that.
He is supposed to be our 3rd line center but he has no hope of coming anywhere near Jake Evans level of play.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You guys keep talking about things that intercect with what we’re hearing in Nashville.

Do you want to beef up your bottom six? Our fourth line is overfilling with guys who are ready to go. We are changing our approach to defenseman Dante Fabbro has no place on the Preds roster. Preds could use prospective third liner center and would be willing to take a project on in Dvorak.

Jusso Parssinen (or one of the other beefy guys on our fourth line) and Dante Fabbro

For

Dvorak and Barron?

This is just a conversation starter not the full deal. I’m sniffing out media clues to see what’s going on.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You guys keep talking about things that intercect with what we’re hearing in Nashville.

Do you want to beef up your bottom six? Our fourth line is overfilling with guys who are ready to go. We are changing our approach to defenseman Dante Fabbro has no place on the Preds roster. Preds could use prospective third liner center and would be willing to take a project on in Dvorak.

Jusso Parssinen (or one of the other beefy guys on our fourth line) and Dante Fabbro

For

Dvorak and Barron?

This is just a conversation starter not the full deal. I’m sniffing out media clues to see what’s going on.
Yeah sure let's go

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

For

Dvorak and Barron?

didn't read, saw you want Dvorak for whatever it is you suggested

yes deal

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No, more like some are ok with mediocrity and some expect better.
Another childish insult what a surprise. When you look at where successful cup winning rebuilds were in years 3-5 most of them were still in the crapper, expecting the rebuild to be better and faster then Colorado, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Chicago is a lack of patience and not understanding what a rebuild actually entails.
Sure we do just let us know when the ups start this season. :laugh:
The team just has to play better nothing more nothing less.
It's been 7 games maybe take a breather. And even if we take a step back and finish dead last this season it's pretty much in line with other teams that had to tank and rebuild.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Some of you miss being in the wildcard mix with Paciorrety and Deharnais as our two best forwards and it really shows. Ah those were such amazing times for habs fans

• Haha
Reactions: morhilane

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Another childish insult what a surprise. When you look at where successful cup winning rebuilds were in years 3-5 most of them were still in the crapper, expecting the rebuild to be better and faster then Colorado, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Chicago is a lack of patience and not understanding what a rebuild actually entails.

It's been 7 games maybe take a breather. And even if we take a step back and finish dead last this season it's pretty much in line with other teams that had to tank and rebuild.
But what about that winning culture that was so important when we should have been tanking harder?
I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad