The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 203 55.5%
  • B

Votes: 130 35.5%
  • C

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Habs are pretty weak in the forward group.

Their forward group is low on skill and size.

I'm hoping the Habs suck and the Calgary/Florida pick is in the teens at at least.

They get around 13th, 14th, they might be able to trade up into the top 10 and get themselves 2 big, skilled forwards

Until that prospect pool upfront starts to look better they should stop trading for players at the cost of picks, specifically 1st round picks..

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Habs are pretty weak in the forward group.

Their forward group is low on skill and size.

I'm hoping the Habs suck and the Calgary/Florida pick is in the teens at at least.

They get around 13th, 14th, they might be able to trade up into the top 10 and get themselves 2 big, skilled forwards

Until that prospect pool upfront starts to look better they should stop trading for players at the cost of picks, specifically 1st round picks..
Suzuki/CC/Slaf/Dach/Demidov, likely top 6 forward in Hage, the intriguing but longterm uncertainty of Laine/Roy, and a top 10 pick this year doesn't seem pretty weak to me. I also don't know if adding more young inexperienced forwards to this list is what would be needed, ideally we looked at trading for vets.

The defense is our biggest question at the moment. When (if ever) will Reinbacher and Mailloux become key top 4 dmen for us?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Suzuki/CC/Slaf/Dach/Demidov, likely top 6 forward in Hage, the intriguing but longterm uncertainty of Laine/Roy, and a top 10 pick this year doesn't seem pretty weak to me. I also don't know if adding more young inexperienced forwards to this list is what would be needed, ideally we looked at trading for vets.

The defense is our biggest question at the moment. When (if ever) will Reinbacher and Mailloux become key top 4 dmen for us?

That too with the RHD.

Forward group is ok, but unless Demidov becomes that 90+ point player, or Slaf, this team doesnt have that potential "game-breaker" in there. If they dont have that ultra talented player they'll likely need good deprh, so tbose few more prospects would help.

Drafting top 3 and adding a high-end UFA like Rantanen (or Marner) would be massive for the habs

When everyone is healthy in the forward group they have 7 guys who are 6'2 or higher and another 3 who are over 6'. We really aren't all that small of a forward group anymore.
Laine is a big boy who's kinda soft.

Slaf is a big boy who throws hits, isn't afraid to mix it up but shouldn't fight because, well yes he's important, but he's not good at it.

Josh Anderson is likely working his way off the team.

Dach could be a nice piece who can do a bit of both once he gets things going.

Armia likely isn't with the team past this season.

Pezzetta doesn't play and MSL doesn't like him.

Heineman - I've liked his game in the NHL much more than the A.

So of those 7, 3 aren't likely to be on the team next year/no one wants on the team now.

Habs will need Gallagher replaced (Captain Obvious) and the bottom 6 needs a massive upgrade, which had players available for that, but the Habs didn't want to sign

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Which is?

He was vocal about wanting ice time in the NHL last year, the Jackets thought he wasn't ready. Here's an excerpt from a recent Athletic article about Jiricek :​

So why keep him here? Jiricek did not need to clear waivers to head to Cleveland.

One thought is they wanted to avoid another dust-up with Jiricek, who spoke openly last season of his disappointment in being sent down, and his agent, Allan Walsh, who is known to defend his clients as loudly and fiercely as any agent in the NHL.

But the sense in Columbus is they wanted to watch Jiricek closely and see how he responded to the stark realization that another GM and another coaching staff didn’t think he was playing well enough to crack the Blue Jackets lineup.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
A lot of posters didn’t want to trade the Dumb Donkey for a 1st round pick 2 years ago. The argument was his big physical play, veteran leadership and potential (they still believed in that) 50 points production.

His value had already taken a considerable hit. The obvious decision was to get rid of that albatross contract but so many people were refusing to trade him. Supposedly that was the type of player needed for a rebuild and during the playoffs to protect our young players.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
A lot of posters didn’t want to trade the Dumb Donkey for a 1st round pick 2 years ago. The argument was his big physical play, veteran leadership and potential (they still believed in that) 50 points production.

His value had already taken a considerable hit. The obvious decision was to get rid of that albatross contract but so many people were refusing to trade him. Supposedly that was the type of player needed for a rebuild and during the playoffs to protect our young players.

I wanted him gone and would've kept Lekhonen instead.

Reactions: the

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Laine is a big boy who's kinda soft.

Slaf is a big boy who throws hits, isn't afraid to mix it up but shouldn't fight because, well yes he's important, but he's not good at it.

Josh Anderson is likely working his way off the team.

Dach could be a nice piece who can do a bit of both once he gets things going.

Armia likely isn't with the team past this season.

Pezzetta doesn't play and MSL doesn't like him.

Heineman - I've liked his game in the NHL much more than the A.

So of those 7, 3 aren't likely to be on the team next year/no one wants on the team now.

Habs will need Gallagher replaced (Captain Obvious) and the bottom 6 needs a massive upgrade, which had players available for that, but the Habs didn't want to sign
There's certainly a strong case for them being soft, but your complaint wasn't that they were soft it was that they were small which they aren't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad