The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 202 55.5%
  • B

Votes: 130 35.7%
  • C

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Canadiens top nine in a few years could be fantastic.

Ten players we may be looking at: CC, Demidov, Laine, Beck, Dach, Suzuki, Newhook, Slaf, Hage, Roy... Some may not be here or will be traded. Bur that's a pretty damn good starting point.
You want to build a top defense. A good goalie, if not great goalie. Strength down the middle with snipers on the wings.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Honestly very frustrating to watch but rebuild is A+ so far.

This is a long game. 3-4 more years till were in business. Sucks but it's what it takes.

1000010734.jpg

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I can't believe all the negative comments on MSL,

Un petit gars de chez nous...

A hockey hall of famer...

The players love him and can actually learn things from him...

Very sad to read some of these comments.

Give your head a shake folks.
his coaching his awful , who cares if hes a HoF , so was #99 .
Tell me whats the game plan when you watch the habs , it feels like everyone play in their corner.

Reactions: EXPOS123

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
And yet the Hawks had more drafting power. So did the Ducks. And CBJ. And the Sharks.

Caufield stagnated pretty hard and what was a promising elite prospect is now looking like a 2nd liner. Newhook is the same player he was in Colorado. Dach... mostly bad luck.

Guhle and Slaf did.
Last season he actually improved his production by 70% from the year before he was in Colorado, which was a peak year for him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

what's most surprising to me is how oblivious these hyper critical fans are to the very observable coaching success MSL has had.

The almost universal progress our U25 players have made under his watch and the top to bottom roster engagement and solidarity despite 2 1/2 very difficult seasons, is an impressive coaching feat... And exactly what we needed at this point in the roster development.

I don't think many of these people have any clue what coaching is actually about, nor a sense of just how hard it would be for any coach to get this kind of positive outcome.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Sure all those things but also a bad coach for the team now. Time to give him a special consultant role and find a coach more fitting for the stage the team is at now.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Sure all those things but also a bad coach for the team now. Time to give him a special consultant role and find a coach more fitting for the stage the team is at now.

What stage is the team at?

We were the 5th worst team in the league last season.

All of a sudden, a few months later, with the very same roster +boy wonder, people think we're a playoff team.

BrUh

Reactions: Miller Time

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
What stage is the team at?

We were the 5th worst team in the league last season.

All of a sudden, a few months later, with the very same roster +boy wonder, people think we're a playoff team.

BrUh
Bruh. We are at the stage where the entire team has no clue what they are doing in any of the 3 zones on the ice. Especially own zone.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think many are a little naive about how long this is going to take. Some of the journalists haven't helped and seem to think the progression will be linear and the team will keep improving until they are a perennial playoff team sooner rather than later.

We can't ice a defence like this and expect to be anywhere near the playoffs. It could be another three years before this team is any good, at which point the ages of the players will be:

Laine? 29
Suzuki 28
Caufield 26
Slafkovsky 23
Dach 26
Newhook 26
Demidov 21
Hage 21
Guhle 25
Hutson 23
Reinbacher 22
Maillioux 24
Montembault 30
Fowler 22

Even then that's still a young team 3 years from now! Some of these guys will be gone and hopefully a bunch of productive vets brought in.

Reactions: montreal and bopeep

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
what's most surprising to me is how oblivious these hyper critical fans are to the very observable coaching success MSL has had.

The almost universal progress our U25 players have made under his watch and the top to bottom roster engagement and solidarity despite 2 1/2 very difficult seasons, is an impressive coaching feat... And exactly what we needed at this point in the roster development.

I don't think many of these people have any clue what coaching is actually about, nor a sense of just how hard it would be for any coach to get this kind of positive outcome.
I think the biggest issue is that people don't know what MSL is telling his players or his actual objectives. Especially the last two seasons when the focus was on development.

Even if the team is playing like shit with low efforts and poor execution collectively, I personally think individidually some of them are still improving.

And the low effort seems to be tied to MSL trying to manage, and have the players manage, their energy over 60 minutes/82 games. The way he explained it, it seems like the team isn't suposed to play the same way all the time. That's going to cause confusion/synch issues.

There is also confusion in the dzone because they are implementing a new system and it's very hard to know if the players are doing what the coaches are telling them there...:laugh:

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think the biggest issue is that people don't know what MSL is telling his players or his actual objectives. Especially the last two seasons when the focus was on development.

Even if the team is playing like shit with low efforts and poor execution collectively, I personally think individidually some of them are still improving.

And the low effort seems to be tied to MSL trying to manage, and have the players manage, their energy over 60 minutes/82 games. The way he explained it, it seems like the team isn't suposed to play the same way all the time. That's going to cause confusion/synch issues.

There is also confusion in the dzone because they are implementing a new system and it's very hard to know if the players are doing what the coaches are telling them there...:laugh:

Structure and strict systems are easy to implement and a much quicker way to raise the performance floor of a group... But the ceiling is limited by that same rigidity.

Fluid, read & react play is far more difficult to excel at, but when achieved, leads to a much higher performance ceiling... Especially if the group has a high degree of individual talent.

Slaf, Suzuki, CC, Dach, Laine, Newhook.

6 first round talents, 3 of which were top 3 in their respective drafts.

Plus Demidov & Hage

Guhle, Hutson, Barron, RB, Mailloux, Engstrom, Konyushkov... 4 first round talents and 3 that may well prove to have been first round caliber talents from their respective draft classes....

Hughes is quite clearly focused on assembling high skill/talent individuals, the likes of which could absolutely excel in that type of play.

What we're witnessing is the painful and necessary dip that has to be traversed in order to allow that huge ceiling to be realized.

Hiring a coach like a Claude Julien absolutely could come in a instill a far more structured and rigid style of play that would quickly reduce the mistakes & perceived "lack of structure" the armchair brigade is clamoring for... Fortunately, our leadership group sees the bigger picture and has the patience & determination to stick to the hard path of getting there.

Best part. MSL seems to be doing a great job of keeping the team's spirit and confidence high despite the fan/media reactivity. Hopefully that is still true by the end of this season

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Patients and a short memory are crucial elements for a fan base during a rebuild.

There was a frenetic buzz coming into the season with Laine & perhaps Demidov……then the sugar crash. I’m sure our players experienced the same emotion. Sucks to watch our D struggle but they are very young. We are still a couple of year’s away.

Go Habs
Cheers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad