The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 197 58.6%
  • B

Votes: 115 34.2%
  • C

Votes: 23 6.8%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I think we'll improve regardless.

It's one thing to be bummed about an injury. It's another thing to be hysterical about it and say we have no talent anywhere. Posts like that are just dumb.
I don't know the other posts you're refering to. I was just adressing the points you've made.

They better improve, otherwise there's a big problem.
But the question is, by how much will they.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes he was just there for the 2 years remaining of his contract for me. I don’t think he is the style of player they want to build the team around and if he was becoming the 40 G and + he was supposed to be, he would probably test the market to get the most money he could get
Yeah, I never saw it as a long term play.

Reactions: Vachon23

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know the other posts you're refering to. I was just adressing the points you've made.
I was referring to the hysterics in this thread. Not from you. :)
They better improve, otherwise there's a big problem.
But the question is, by how much will they.
I don’t share your sense of urgency for this year. Progression isn’t linear. It’s a series of one step foreword one step back - two steps foreword, one back - three steps forward one back etc… every now and then you take one step forward and three back. That’s just how it goes.

I fully expect us to improve this year. We’ve got more players coming into the lineup and should be healthier. But I know our D is green. Our goaltending isn’t established. A lot could go wrong and some of it will. I don’t expect the playoffs with or without Laine.

But there’s every reason to think that with Hutson, Dach and Roy joining the lineup that we’ll be able to score better and I think CC will have a better year. I think the offense goes up. Where I think we’ll struggle is on D. And Laine wasn’t going to help with that anyway.

There’s so much talent on the way. If we don’t do well this year it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Habs7631

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Our injury issues are definitely a major concern going forward.
Going off of daily faceoffs line combinations, our group was going to look something along these lines.
The red names are players that have missed 25+ games to injury in either of the last two season.

In green we have Suzuki who's miraculously stayed healthy this long. Roy and Hutson who haven't play long enough to really miss 25+ games, even though Roy missed the last 14 games injured last season. Anderson who has a long track record of injury but has somewhat stabilized the last few years. And Savard who's missed 22-20-20 the last 3 years.

SlafkovskySuzukiCaufield
NewhookDachLaine
RoyDvorakAnderson
GallagherEvansArmia

MathesonGuhle
HutsonSavard
XhekajBarron

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Going off of daily faceoffs line combinations, our group was going to look something along these lines.
The red names are players that have missed 25+ games to injury in either of the last two season.

In green we have Suzuki who's miraculously stayed healthy this long. Roy and Hutson who haven't play long enough to really miss 25+ games, even though Roy missed the last 14 games injured last season. Anderson who has a long track record of injury but has somewhat stabilized the last few years. And Savard who's missed 22-20-20 the last 3 years.

SlafkovskySuzukiCaufield
NewhookDachLaine
RoyDvorakAnderson
GallagherEvansArmia

MathesonGuhle
HutsonSavard
XhekajBarron
That’s pretty crazy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

SlafkovskySuzukiCaufield
NewhookDachLaine
RoyDvorakAnderson
GallagherEvansArmia

MathesonGuhle
HutsonSavard
XhekajBarron
We'd have to see how other teams stack up to be able to draw any meaningful conlusions, and even then feels like we are painting with too broad a brush. Matheson has missed 25+ games once in his eight year career, can we really tag him with the injury prone red label because the one time in 8 years he missed signficant time was 2 years ago? In Caufield's career he's spent a little less then 20% of it injured, which over 82 games is equivalent to 66 games played a year, well under the 25+ game threshold. Newhook is at 15% injured time as an NHLer, and that's assuming he was never a healthy scratch as a rookie, if he was it's even less time being injured.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We'd have to see how other teams stack up to be able to draw any meaningful conlusions, and even then feels like we are painting with too broad a brush. Matheson has missed 25+ games once in his eight year career, can we really tag him with the injury prone red label because the one time in 8 years he missed signficant time was 2 years ago? In Caufield's career he's spent a little less then 20% of it injured, which over 82 games is equivalent to 66 games played a year, well under the 25+ game threshold. Newhook is at 15% injured time as an NHLer, and that's assuming he was never a healthy scratch as a rookie, if he was it's even less time being injured.
I don’t think it means all those players are injury prone, it just shows that we’ve missed a lot of time. It’s been pretty crazy. I can’t believe Laine didn’t even make it to the season. It’s like Dach all over again.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
A quick look through the Leafs roster looks like they'd have 5/18 red names compared to our 12/18.

The big difference comes in the top 6 and top pair though. Our top 6 and top defense pair are 7/8, whereas the Leafs are 0/8 with their top guys.

• Wow
Reactions: dinodebino

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

SlafkovskySuzukiCaufield
NewhookDachLaine
RoyDvorakAnderson
GallagherEvansArmia

MathesonGuhle
HutsonSavard
XhekajBarron

Fwd group is too soft. Opponents have no problem running our core players because there's hardly any retaliation risk.

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

SlafkovskySuzukiCaufield
NewhookDachLaine
RoyDvorakAnderson
GallagherEvansArmia

MathesonGuhle
HutsonSavard
XhekajBarron
Ouch. TY for the post.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I was referring to the hysterics in this thread. Not from you. :)

I don’t share your sense of urgency for this year. Progression isn’t linear. It’s a series of one step foreword one step back - two steps foreword, one back - three steps forward one back etc… every now and then you take one step forward and three back. That’s just how it goes.

I fully expect us to improve this year. We’ve got more players coming into the lineup and should be healthier. But I know our D is green. Our goaltending isn’t established. A lot could go wrong and some of it will. I don’t expect the playoffs with or without Laine.

But there’s every reason to think that with Hutson, Dach and Roy joining the lineup that we’ll be able to score better and I think CC will have a better year. I think the offense goes up. Where I think we’ll struggle is on D. And Laine wasn’t going to help with that anyway.

There’s so much talent on the way. If we don’t do well this year it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Don't worry, i didn't think you were talking about me.

I think it's just normal to expect the young guys to make progress.
It has nothing to do with urgency.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't worry, i didn't think you were talking about me.

I think it's just normal to expect the young guys to make progress.
It has nothing to do with urgency.
You're saying there's a big problem if we don't improve this year.

I don't agree. As much as I expect us to improve this year offensively, if it doesn't happen, I still think we're well positioned for a successful rebuild. Hutson comes in this year. Demidov the next... There's just so much young talent coming up.

I just think people are putting too much importance on this season. We aren’t winning anything for a while. These are the development years. It’s part of a larger plan.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If we lose Laine it is a set back because now we lost a legit top 6, there no one good enough to fill that role, it will be harder to gauge what will have with Dach, rest of the top 9 and what we actually have or need.

The only possible upside since Dach and Laine don’t have the opportunity aren’t to have bounce back season we will be closer to lottery than playoff. There isn’t any ambiguity we will be seller at the TDL.
Dach and Laine have less runway to be able to command big contract. A knee is a significant issue but it isn’t career ending or a issue over the next few years line a back or hips…

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If we lose Laine it is a set back because now we lost a legit top 6, there no one good enough to fill that role, it will be harder to gauge what will have with Dach, rest of the top 9 and what we actually have or need.

The only possible upside since Dach and Laine don’t have the opportunity aren’t to have bounce back season we will be closer to lottery than playoff. There isn’t any ambiguity we will be seller at the TDL.
Dach and Laine have less runway to be able to command big contract. A knee is a significant issue but it isn’t career ending or a issue over the next few years line a back or hips…
I hope it opens the door to more playing time for Roy.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If Dach doesn’t work out, when his contract is up Hage will be arriving.
If Laine done, Demidov on the way.

These 2 players aren’t 3rd liners.

Dvo on his way out - Beck and Kapanen.

A bunch of kids waiting to take Gallagher, Andy and Armia spots. A few more 1st round picks this season.

And they will still add in trade and free agency.
I know... ur right.. it's the sake with Dach getting injured at game 2 last year.. we "still" don't really know who they are??

I suppose the silver lining is Laine might take the Dach path and come back stronger next year.. if he has a killer start, his value at the TDL will be skyhigh - which could net us a missing a piece..

Or he falls in love with the city, and decides to resign at a massive team friendly deal.. how he is treated this year during his rehab will be a changing point in his life.

expy

Nov 2, 2010

SlafkovskySuzukiCaufield
NewhookDachLaine
RoyDvorakAnderson
GallagherEvansArmia

MathesonGuhle
HutsonSavard
XhekajBarron
Should have Struble there instead of Barren. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad