The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 194 58.4%
  • B

Votes: 116 34.9%
  • C

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I moved this cause this will just lead to tank talk and they do not want any tank talk especially this early.

The Habs will end up where they end up and not a single person in the world knows where that will be or what will happen between now and June so it's pointless anyway

Fair enough re: the move.

Nobody knows but Martone is a lock for top 3 and McQueen likely goes just behind that top 3. I don't see a circumstance where we are picking higher than we have the last 3 years, outside of a lottery, which I wouldn't predict us winning.

If we do then we have serious questions about the rebuild as currently trending.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fair enough re: the move.

Nobody knows but Martone is a lock for top 3 and McQueen likely goes just behind that top 3. I don't see a circumstance where we are picking higher than we have the last 3 years, outside of a lottery, which I wouldn't predict us winning.

If we do then we have serious questions about the rebuild as currently trending.

There's the lottery and we have 2 1st so trades, there's injuries, etc.. so much can happen over a long season.

I said over the summer he's the #1 OA pick at least to me for now. But we'll see as I wasn't sold on Celebrini being as good as he was hyped over the summer (I don't pay much attention to the draft so I often don't know many of these kids at all) so for me it's a long process as I watch what I watch and form my opinions from that only.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
In my opinion, it was a pretty fast rebuild. The Habs fell on a solid GM, regardless of his rookie status. He made some pretty crafty moves to accelerate the process. Regardless of what ppl think of the BargainBin, he left some pieces behind for HuGo to profit on. Sparing injuries, the top six is solid with Demidov and Hage coming over in a few years. If Laine, Dach and Newhook can stay healthy, the Habs can actually compete for a playoff spot.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Dvorak, Armia, Gallagher, and Anderson haven't been a problem because we haven't had anyone ready to replace them but we're quickly approaching a point where these players are blocking prospects. They have said that the future is the priority yet shown that maximizing the return on assets is a priority so I'm curious as to how they handle these players. This is my test of this management.
Gallagher was used and abused by the previous regime, so eventually got paid. I really have no issue with him staying till the end. Armia and Dvorak will walk into free agency. Some team might give you a pick at the deadline. If it happens, well pretty good asset management. Anderson can be an effective third liner if he starts playing physical again. Just ride it out and some team might give you a pick when the contract expires. It's not rocket science.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Gallagher was used and abused by the previous regime, so eventually got paid. I really have no issue with him staying till the end. Armia and Dvorak will walk into free agency. Some team might give you a pick at the deadline. If it happens, well pretty good asset management. Anderson can be an effective third liner if he starts playing physical again. Just ride it out and some team might give you a pick when the contract expires. It's not rocket science.
At the end of the day we shouldn't really be looking at what to do with the vets we should be looking at what's best for each young guys development. In my mind it would be something like this.

Roy: In the NHL playing in the middle six with 2nd wave PP time.
Beck: Play 30-50 games in the AHL and assuming he does well a callup to finish the season in the NHL.
Kapanen: Ideally would be the same as Beck with a split AHL/NHL season but since that's not possible I would say going back to the SHL is best for him because it will allow him to continue to build his offensive game.
Xhekaj: AHL, and ideally top-6 minutes if playing as a winger, top-9 if as a center and I could see some NHL time as well.
Tuch: AHL and possibly some NHL time as an injury callup if he's doing well in the A
Mesar: AHL
Farrell: AHL
Heineman: AHL

Going into next season is where things will become interesting as we'd be looking at several prospects primed to become regular NHLers.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well, HUGO just bought another year of the rebuild..
The whole appeal of Laine was it solidified our 2nd line scoring threat, added to Dach, and took the pressure of line1.
Losing Laine before the season, for the season affects every position..
He litterally was the perfect acquisition.. and now this...

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Well, HUGO just bought another year of the rebuild..
The whole appeal of Laine was it solidified our 2nd line scoring threat, added to Dach, and took the pressure of line1.
Losing Laine before the season, for the season affects every position..
We were always rebuilding for another year. Probably 10-15 in the standings. Making the playoffs or challenging for it was always delusional. They didn't buy anything. They were always cautious with their words. We were always still rebuilding.

We are now back to 5-10 in the standings. Sucks for us but a rebuild is not supposed to be fun.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
We were always rebuilding for another year. Probably 10-15 in the standings. Making the playoffs or challenging for it was always delusional. They didn't buy anything. They were always cautious with their words. We were always still rebuilding.

We are now back to 5-10 in the standings. Sucks for us but a rebuild is not supposed to be fun.
I agree, but 10-15 with progression and milestones was what i was looking for.. unless a trye diamond in the rough prospect somehow pulls a Wyatt Johnston, i fail to see how 5-10 just a rebuild.. a year like this starts to become BUF OTT territory... not good atall

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Thought they were close to that before Laine injury but now I’m confident bottom 5 for sure, probably in bottom 3.

No second line, bottom 6 is gross.

I’ll go on the record now, they get less points than they did last year.

Rebuild is NO WHERE close to being over.
Does being in the mix = rebuild is over? If not, who said the rebuild was over or close to over? Stop listening to those people. if it was you, breath in the smelling salts deeply and come out of the stupor, reality awaits.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The objectives should not change. .500 and get that GF/GA to neutral territory is a step in the right direction.
The task my be harder with fewer GF but just make sure we play a better team defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad