The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 187 58.6%
  • B

Votes: 113 35.4%
  • C

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The issue is you can't have a time machine to make Reinbacher engstrom mailloux hutson Ghule 3 years older.....Its gonna have to happen organically , We can't expect all these kids to reach their potential at 22-23-24...
I have been watching this game for a long, long time. Some fans have trouble waiting 2 to 3 months let alone 2 to 3 years. Having watched a parade of incompetents manage this team for the past 30 years, Hughes and Co. have offered our beleaguered fan base a refreshing breath of insight and competency.

I can wait a few more years.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I mean... not really.

We're in year 4. How much longer do you expect to be bottom of the barrel terrible? Let's say a rebuild should ideally take 5 years, we're in the latter half of that now.

It's time to start progressing a little.
5 years after drafting Landeskog 2nd overall Colorado was drafting Jost at 10th OA and a year away from getting Makar at 4th OA.

5 years after drafting Stamkos, Tampa was drafting Drouin 3rd overall.

5 years after drafting Barkov Florida was still out of the playoffs and that would continue for another couple years.

So I'm not sure where this "a rebuild should ideally take 5 years" comes from but it doesn't seem to be based on recent cup winners.

And like seriously, we've seen 3 of Hughes draft picks play NHL games, Slafkovsky, Hutson, and Beck. And 2 of them have combined for 3 games. If your building through the draft shouldn't you at least have the patience to wait until the draft picks actually get to the NHL?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
5 years after drafting Landeskog 2nd overall Colorado was drafting Jost at 10th OA and a year away from getting Makar at 4th OA.

5 years after drafting Barkov Florida was still out of the playoffs and that would continue for another couple years.

So I'm not sure where this "a rebuild should ideally take 5 years" comes from but it doesn't seem to be based on recent cup winners.

And like seriously, we've seen 3 of Hughes draft picks play NHL games, Slafkovsky, Hutson, and Beck. And 2 of them have combined for 3 games. If your building through the draft shouldn't you at least have the patience to wait until the draft picks actually get to the NHL?
6 years after drafting 3rd overall, the Habs drafted 5th overall.
8 years after drafting 9th overall, the Habs drafted 5th overall.

The accumulation has been going since way before 2022.

The problem is you're moving goalpost.
Colorados rebuild spanned 2, if not 3 GMs.
Tampa Bys rebuild spanned 3 gms.
Florida's rebuild spanned one GM but still took a similar amount of time.
Anaheims spanned two GMs.
Buffalo is still ungoing after... 5 gms, lol.
Carolina was 3.
Chicago 2.
Colombus 2.
Detroit two.
Edmonton had 4.

and it goes on. A change of GM doesn't mean it's a start of a new movement. Bergevin was well on his way to a rebuild and he even himself called for a retool in 2016. The Plekanec trade was the first indication of at least the end of the competing window, the Pacioretty trade solidified the start of the selling era.
He moved out:
Plekanec
Pacioretty
Shaw
Scandella
Kovalchuk
Edmundson

All in a span of roughly two years, and the only assets he spent was for the Dvorak trade.

You can't just re-write history and say this nevern happened, Suzuki, Caufield, Roy, Mailloux, Kapenen, etc are all directly a result of Bergevins accumulation and indirectly I'd say the returns from Toffoli, Chiarot, etc are his accumulation too. He didn't spend any assets for those.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah you can progress , its still a rebuild though , 50% of the roster right now won't be around when we are good 👍
13 of 23 players should be with the team when they compete, thats without "surefires" like Reinbacher and Demidov and that's not counting NHL guys like Matheson, Savard, Dvorak.

It's like 5 players that are so god awful that it drags the whole team down, because we have to play them levels above their competency.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Hughes started with a 1OA, Suzuki (borderline 1C), and Caufield as forwards. He got Guhle, Mailloux, Harris, and some other pieces on the back end. Monty, etc. He got Barron etc. from his fire sale.

The rebuild didn't start from zero and shouldn't be given an indefinite period to bear fruit. The small-not-so-small problem that they can't play three periods and can't close out games and lose a lot of close games is as bad as it is solvable: ultimately, if they don't learn to win that means they're learning to lose. It's not interesting to think about a team that needs many many years to win and runs the risk of never winning. I've seen enough of BUF to know better.

Progress is better; progress and participating in interesting games (for playoff spots or playoff games), and the pressure to perform, and all the good things that come with competition. That's what it's all about. There is unfortunately not some arbitrary "critical mass" of building through the draft that will flip a switch at the right time.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
6 years after drafting 3rd overall, the Habs drafted 5th overall.
8 years after drafting 9th overall, the Habs drafted 5th overall.

The accumulation has been going since way before 2022.

The problem is you're moving goalpost.
Colorados rebuild spanned 2, if not 3 GMs.
Tampa Bys rebuild spanned 3 gms.
Florida's rebuild spanned one GM but still took a similar amount of time.
Anaheims spanned two GMs.
Buffalo is still ungoing after... 5 gms, lol.
Carolina was 3.
Chicago 2.
Colombus 2.
Detroit two.
Edmonton had 4.

and it goes on. A change of GM doesn't mean it's a start of a new movement. Bergevin was well on his way to a rebuild and he even himself called for a retool in 2016. The Plekanec trade was the first indication of at least the end of the competing window, the Pacioretty trade solidified the start of the selling era.
He moved out:
Plekanec
Pacioretty
Shaw
Scandella
Kovalchuk
Edmundson

All in a span of roughly two years, and the only assets he spent was for the Dvorak trade.

You can't just re-write history and say this nevern happened, Suzuki, Caufield, Roy, Mailloux, Kapenen, etc are all directly a result of Bergevins accumulation and indirectly I'd say the returns from Toffoli, Chiarot, etc are his accumulation too. He didn't spend any assets for those.
First off that's just more evidence that the statement a rebuild should ideally take 5 years is little more then fantasy.

Second, every GM inherits prospects from the previous GM, but no we haven't been rebuilding since 2016. 2 high picks in 6 years isn't evidence that a rebuild has been ongoing, and why even stop there, Galchenyuk in 2012, would be 2 top picks in 5 years which, and before that McDongagh in 2007, and Price in 2005, Kostitsyn in 2003, Komisarek in 2001, Ward in 97, Ryan in 95. Are we saying that we've been rebuilding for 20 years now? Or just maybe it's the norm to get a top pick every 5-6 years if you aren't a long term contending team. There's a difference between trying to make the playoffs every year and occasionally coming up short and getting a good pick and rebuilding.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hughes started with a 1OA, Suzuki (borderline 1C), and Caufield as forwards. He got Guhle, Mailloux, Harris, and some other pieces on the back end. Monty, etc. He got Barron etc. from his fire sale.

The rebuild didn't start from zero and shouldn't be given an indefinite period to bear fruit. The small-not-so-small problem that they can't play three periods and can't close out games and lose a lot of close games is as bad as it is solvable: ultimately, if they don't learn to win that means they're learning to lose. It's not interesting to think about a team that needs many many years to win and runs the risk of never winning. I've seen enough of BUF to know better.

Progress is better; progress and participating in interesting games (for playoff spots or playoff games), and the pressure to perform, and all the good things that come with competition. That's what it's all about. There is unfortunately not some arbitrary "critical mass" of building through the draft that will flip a switch at the right time.
No rebuild starts from absolute 0, even expansion teams get given a top pick and an expansion draft.

Who said anything about an indefinite period of time, but not even giving the guy a chance to build a team through his own draft picks is non-sensical and means that you weren't actually on board with there being a rebuild in the first place.

As for progress, we've improved every year under Hughes so there has been progress so clearly for you having progress is not what it's all about.

Reactions: the

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I don't see how you can compare rebuild timelines with different teams. There are SO many factors. Some high picks jump right in and contribute, some take longer. Some draft years are stronger than others. Sometimes there are multiples GMs. Sometimes cap situations are different and become restrictions. I could go on and on.

Hughes said we're still rebuilding, but nearing its end. It takes what it takes, and you should almost never want to rush it.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'll say B. I don't think we have a can't miss system yet and don't want to blow my Buffaload early.

• Haha
Reactions: bopeep

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
No rebuild starts from absolute 0, even expansion teams get given a top pick and an expansion draft.

Who said anything about an indefinite period of time, but not even giving the guy a chance to build a team through his own draft picks is non-sensical and means that you weren't actually on board with there being a rebuild in the first place.

As for progress, we've improved every year under Hughes so there has been progress so clearly for you having progress is not what it's all about.
I'm not critical of the rebuild so far, at this point anyway. It's undeniable there's been progress year on year -- you see it in the pt%. The fun and interesting next phase is where things can go sideways. We can hope for the best. I'll be a little disappointed if they treat this year as another write-off (and thus don't find a way to reinforce the roster) but it's not like he should be fired for it. Like you say, his players should bleed into the roster before we pass judgement on his ability to make a team. My point is the grade is TBD, we're not at that point yet so giving him an A is premature.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not critical of the rebuild so far, at this point anyway. It's undeniable there's been progress year on year -- you see it in the pt%. The fun and interesting next phase is where things can go sideways. We can hope for the best. I'll be a little disappointed if they treat this year as another write-off (and thus don't find a way to reinforce the roster) but it's not like he should be fired for it. Like you say, his players should bleed into the roster before we pass judgement on his ability to make a team. My point is the grade is TBD, we're not at that point yet so giving him an A is premature.
For the record I didn't give him an A, I gave him a B and yeah there's still a lot of unknowns and the hard part of a rebuild isn't the tanking portion. But I'd also point out that as important as any roster moves is the team staff he puts in place, the coaches, the scouts, the development guys, the analytics department, etc... And much like the prospect pool he's built that management side of things seems appears top notch.

And saying you'd be a little disappointed is being critical as is giving him a C grade. It's not over the top criticism, it's arguably even a reasonable criticism but it's still criticism. And let's face it if giving him an A is premature so is giving him a C, either it's premature to judge and no grade should be given (I would have voted this if it was an option), or you judge him on the facts of today knowing that things will likely change in the future and in that case a C does seem rather critical given there's no obvious mistakes only potential mistakes that will take 5+ years to figure out.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
For the record I didn't give him an A, I gave him a B and yeah there's still a lot of unknowns and the hard part of a rebuild isn't the tanking portion. But I'd also point out that as important as any roster moves is the team staff he puts in place, the coaches, the scouts, the development guys, the analytics department, etc... And much like the prospect pool he's built that management side of things seems appears top notch.

And saying you'd be a little disappointed is being critical as is giving him a C grade. It's not over the top criticism, it's arguably even a reasonable criticism but it's still criticism. And let's face it if giving him an A is premature so is giving him a C, either it's premature to judge and no grade should be given (I would have voted this if it was an option), or you judge him on the facts of today knowing that things will likely change in the future and in that case a C does seem rather critical given there's no obvious mistakes only potential mistakes that will take 5+ years to figure out.
In my reply to the OP, post #208, I concluded my thought with "So you can do like LShap and give him an A on what you can review so far or you can be a miser like me and give him an Incomplete/C until further notice." You're correct, a C is a judgement but I didn't mean it like that. I was infamously wrong on Slafkovsky but the fact is these high picks are extremely valuable and shouldn't go wrong, so if he whiffed on Reinbacher (re: Michkov...) that could prove to be a huge mistake. We don't know and will hope he got it right (FTR I was big on Michkov pre-draft but didn't have any issues with Reinbacher at 5OA after the draft).

I don't think in terms of draft picks there's anything else to say until the rubber hits the road though.

Regarding your observation, yes building the infrastructure where there wasn't one is always good but I'm not particularly capable of discerning whether these new guys are good at their jobs or not. I don't like our assistant coaches but that's just an opinion, who's to say they're bad or good or 'top notch'? Just hiring people for analytics and skills development is intrinsically good though, for sure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
In my reply to the OP, post #208, I concluded my thought with "So you can do like LShap and give him an A on what you can review so far or you can be a miser like me and give him an Incomplete/C until further notice." You're correct, a C is a judgement but I didn't mean it like that. I was infamously wrong on Slafkovsky but the fact is these high picks are extremely valuable and shouldn't go wrong, so if he whiffed on Reinbacher (re: Michkov...) that could prove to be a huge mistake. We don't know and will hope he got it right (FTR I was big on Michkov pre-draft but didn't have any issues with Reinbacher at 5OA after the draft).

I don't think in terms of draft picks there's anything else to say until the rubber hits the road though.
Grades will change when we get more info. But there's nothing inherently wrong with grading things now with understanding that it's little more then a gut instinct that will either be proven right or wrong. It's only a problem when that gut instinct is being presented as being infallible.

Regarding your observation, yes building the infrastructure where there wasn't one is always good but I'm not particularly capable of discerning whether these new guys are good at their jobs or not. I don't like our assistant coaches but that's just an opinion, who's to say they're bad or good or 'top notch'? Just hiring people for analytics and skills development is intrinsically good though, for sure.
Look we can't say with 100% certainty that everyone is amazing, but we can see that Nicholas has had a very positive impact on Slafkovsky. And beyond just the results we can evalaluate the process, I have little doubt that under the previous regime they would have pushed Arber Xhekaj into being a goon like they tried to do with Tinordi and McCarron where they pushed them towards trying to play tough and to get into fights and it hurt both of them. That's in stark contrast to how Hughes and company have treated Xhekaj where the focus has been on working on his weaknesses. So regardless of what ends up happening in any individual case, it's still a far better development process that has been put in place and that's something we can credit Hughes and his hires. We also see it in how occasionally the development staff would take over AHL practices and work on skills, that's a process I can get behind and support even if we haven't seen the results of it just yet.

Reactions: ReHabs and Tyson

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Does Hughes have a plan before the TDL or is it just a wait and see what happens half season?

Pretty sure it will be to trade Dvorak, Savard and Armia.. the 3 pending UFA. I'm sure he will be in on a Meier like situation if it presents itself, other than that, it will be about having as many future assets as possible to move up in the 2025 draft and be a player on a big fish trade.

Reactions: Tyson

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Pretty sure it will be to trade Dvorak, Savard and Armia.. the 3 pending UFA. I'm sure he will be in on a Meier like situation if it presents itself, other than that, it will be about having as many future assets as possible to move up in the 2025 draft and be a player on a big fish trade.
I mean who takes those spots, are rookies expected to take over in less than a season?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean who takes those spots, are rookies expected to take over in less than a season?

I'd suspect it would be Reinbacher or Mailloux to take over for Savard.

They'll move Evans to 3C and probably use Condotta as 4C to spell Dvorak.

Then take your pick of RHP coming back off injury, Heineman, Tuch, Farrell, Simoneau to play bottom 6 when Armia is moved.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have been watching this game for a long, long time. Some fans have trouble waiting 2 to 3 months let alone 2 to 3 years. Having watched a parade of incompetents manage this team for the past 30 years, Hughes and Co. have offered our beleaguered fan base a refreshing breath of insight and competency.

I can wait a few more years.
With all due respect, can you? Just kidding.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I'd suspect it would be Reinbacher or Mailloux to take over for Savard.

They'll move Evans to 3C and probably use Condotta as 4C to spell Dvorak.

Then take your pick of RHP coming back off injury, Heineman, Tuch, Farrell, Simoneau to play bottom 6 when Armia is moved.
Ooh, so I guess it's all in on a tank. I hope not.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Maybe we could have this post, great job by the way, posted at the top of each of our threads.........guys can take a read, then a breath and rethink what they came for.

Thanks for posting some pure facts, and not some garbage we all have to filter at times.

Trust The Process.

You have an indelicate point. Tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone. I’m at the stage where I don’t even buy green bananas.
Green Bananas !! Awesome Chester!

All jokes aside, patience guys........patience. It's tough, I absolutely get it.
I want the team to win like everyone on here............getting there, and doing it right, take time. No shortcuts....

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

I mean, I said "Let's say" ideally and not straight up "a rebuild should take this long." It's more of a hypothetical rather than a statement of fact that is backed up through research.

If you want some though...

2008: Lightning drafted Stamkos
2010-2011: Lightning went to the conference finals

2011: Colorado drafted Landeskog
2013-2014: Colorado made the playoffs

2013: Florida drafts Barkov
2015-2016: Florida makes the playoffs.

I said I'm looking for progression, not for our team to start trading away every draft pick we have for guys in their prime looking to win. The teams (cup winners, as you were so eager to point out) you mentioned all progressed fairly quickly in some shape or form after going through struggles and picking those guys.

As for the draft picks comment, if you don't count Dach and Newhook as pieces that Hughes has acquired for the rebuild and omit them to suit your narrative, you're being disingenuous.

I have plenty of patience; I'm not one of the super-competitive athletes who have to play on this team year in and year out. Too much losing is a killer on culture and can quickly become toxic if that's all it is. Year 5-6-7 of just losing and not being good enough, a lot of these 'kids' we have are starting to become men, and all they've known is losing. That's not good. That's how you become Buffalo or Columbus or Phoenix etc..

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ooh, so I guess it's all in on a tank. I hope not.

Not a tank, but they aren't gonna let UFAs walk for nothing and eventually this year they'll want to give experience to players who will be part of the long term future of the club.

Clearly they know this year is about being competitive but not a playoffs at all cost. Their restraint on UFAs showed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad