The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 188 58.8%
  • B

Votes: 113 35.3%
  • C

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Not sure how Hughes thinks we can compete for a playoff spot as he states. The bottom 6 is the worst or close to the worst in the league. I really think there will be a trade of some sort but f*** this team needs depth so bad. A real vet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nope. They explained quite the opposite. That you didn't understand the approach doesn't mean they made a mistake...

Did you expect Hughes to say I f***ed up my bad? They were going to send him down, that means it wasn't going well, that's not a good plan just because it works out.

We rushed prospects to the NHL under MB, that's a fact. It went very badly for us, it's great Molson finally made changes after years of me pointing out how terrible their development plans were. They rushed Slaf to the NHL as it's all about how they look and he did not look like an NHLer, that was not a good plan imo but it doesn't mean it won't work out. All rushing means is that you are taking risks that you don't have to and those risks could backfire.

Reactions: BLONG7

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Not sure how Hughes thinks we can compete for a playoff spot as he states. The bottom 6 is the worst or close to the worst in the league. I really think there will be a trade of some sort but f*** this team needs depth so bad. A real vet
I think our bottom6 is not just bad but for the first time in a long time we don’t have any depth. Not even warm bodies NHL vets depth.

Our top6 has no depth either. If one of our top5+1 (Roy) goes down we’re back to putting the Flunkies (Anderson, Gallagher, etc) in the top6, on the PP, etc.

I don’t understand the strategy at all.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think our bottom6 is not just bad but for the first time in a long time we don’t have any depth. Not even warm bodies NHL vets depth.

Our top6 has no depth either. If one of our top5+1 (Roy) goes down we’re back to putting the Flunkies (Anderson, Gallagher, etc) in the top6, on the PP, etc.

I don’t understand the strategy at all.
Armia would be the next man up. Anderson and Gallagher would not be bad place holders. If a forward can't be acquired at a reasonable cost they will just wait for Demidov. The strategy is develop prospects, add players like Dach and Newhook and do not trade away prospect(s) that could come back to haunt you.

Reactions: bsl and Sherwoo9

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Armia would be the next man up. Anderson and Gallagher would not be bad place holders.
No they’re all bad options. This isn’t depth for a team that’s meant to fight for a playoff spot. Not one of them deserves or contributes during PP time.
If a forward can't be acquired at a reasonable cost they will just wait for Demidov.
Runs contrary to what Hughes explicitly said, but sure. Waste a year playing meaningless games from Christmas on. I’m sure the winning mentality will come at a flip of a switch like it did for Ottawa and Buffalo.

It’s not like they lost a bunch of one goal games and couldn’t close out games in the 3rd… no need to actually learn how to win tight games. It’ll come “organically”.
The strategy is develop prospects, add players like Dach and Newhook and do not trade away prospect(s) that could come back to haunt you.
Newhook was added last year and Dach the year before, no one was added this year and no relevant prospect is due to take a roster spot this year. There’s a gap even if Roy is the 6th man in the top6. We have zero depth.

No one said anything about trading away prospects. You don’t need to trade prospects to sign NHL quality bottom6 depth.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
All of this defeatist talk in here is getting lame as hell. I bet you if you asked any of the kids on the team if they thought they could make the playoffs with the team as is with no changes they would all give an absolutely emphatic yes.

This is a confident group who will take the next step and is likely to be in the playoff mix all year long. Injuries can always be a problem but welcome to professional sports.

Assuming we have a relatively healthy year I think we're a fringe playoff team this season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The bottom six is not worst in the league... where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Bottom six players are typically grinders - just like the ones we have. What the heck are you expecting down there?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know why we have to break down the rookie season in isolation. He's had his ups and downs which is completely expected especially as a teenager.

He will continue to have his ups and downs moving forward, but the general trajectory is still positive, and that potential as a top line forward still looks within grasp.

This is looking like a good pick so far.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The bottom six is not worst in the league... where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Bottom six players are typically grinders - just like the ones we have. What the heck are you expecting down there?
Agreed............our issue in the bottom 6 is they make too much money, but they are far from the worst players, just the worst value..................MB had zero clue what he was doing..........CP31 couldn't fix his GM's stupidity just everything else.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed............our issue in the bottom 6 is they make too much money, but they are far from the worst players, just the worst value..................MB had zero clue what he was doing..........CP31 couldn't fix his GM's stupidity just everything else.
Overpaid? Yes. But as you said, beside the point.

As for our top six having no depth, I agree to an extent but it’s certainly not the need of the world if Gallagher had to fill in there for a while. We’re still a team in transition.

Reactions: BLONG7

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Because he's assessing the actual talent and ability on the roster...

Last year, our top 6 forwards in ice time:
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Evans
Anderson
Gallagher

Injuries are always a concern (though note that 4-5-6 last year are all fwds with significant injury history themselves), but the internal progression of our U25 players and a bit better injury luck would/wil make a significant impact on our performance.

We lack the top of the roster established elite skill & depth to make this team a contender or a playoff lock... Pretty sure he's well aware of that.

But if we are able to get 70+ games out of our top 5 forwards as did the Panthers, Oilers, Stars, Canes*, Bruins, Rangers, Leafs etc. last year, then absolutely this forward group will provide enough to have us compete for a PO spot.

I think many Habs fans seriously underestimate the impact of injuries on our results the past few years. When you are a league leader in games lost, and you lose key top 6/top4 players for big stretches, it matters... Likewise, even for contenders, having a healthy year from your top performers is crucial to success.

*Canes Svech only played 59, but they added Guentzel for 17 reg season.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Still in stage 4 if we use that framework. No we are not there yet.

I'll give my take on the rebuild not that you asked lol. The Habs are done with construction of the main roster. The only thing to do is maintain a strong pipeline so you don't end up like Toronto or Tampa. I don't need to explain the necessities of this cap wise and roster substitution wise.

Now where I differ, by January 1st, every core member probably joining the team the following season will be between 20-23 with the expectation of Suzuki and demidov. All of their big contracts will coincide with eachother even if they're at different parts of it. To avoid the Chicago situation in the mid 2010s, they have to be smart with their cap management.

One solution is keeping a free spot on their 2nd line and treat it like a revolving door. Use TDL/trades in general to get shorter term rentals so you don't need to commit to big contracts.

Besides that, the Habs have the proper D core imo, they're high on Fowler being Price's long term successor like how he was Roy's. They have the makings of a good bottom 6 with Newhook, Roy, Beck, etc. So add a little depth every so often, keep your pipeline in tact and maintain cap flexibility.

The stage I'd say they're at is development and maintenance. Construction is over imo if you already count the high end prospects as part of the existing structure

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Did you expect Hughes to say I f***ed up my bad? They were going to send him down, that means it wasn't going well, that's not a good plan just because it works out.

We rushed prospects to the NHL under MB, that's a fact. It went very badly for us, it's great Molson finally made changes after years of me pointing out how terrible their development plans were. They rushed Slaf to the NHL as it's all about how they look and he did not look like an NHLer, that was not a good plan imo but it doesn't mean it won't work out. All rushing means is that you are taking risks that you don't have to and those risks could backfire.
Starting Slaf in the AHL would have done absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Miller Time

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well from everything I've gathered listening to what is being said I don't think they are pushing the P word.
They said the P word is in the conversation but what they are really pushing is the C word.
It makes sense if things go according to plan they should be able to tighten up the differential which will lead to more points.
I honestly think they just want to be hanging around towards TDL. The idea is to be playing and winning more meaningful games.
At this point I think they loved the draft but I don't think they got what they wanted in terms of roster ready upgrades.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

An interesting read

Pretty good summary.

The Nic Roy mention I've been suggesting for quite some time as well... Strikes me as a perfect fit for our needs both immediate and near term & as alluded to, Vegas' cap situation could make him available.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's our August trade target.

Reactions: bopeep

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll give my take on the rebuild not that you asked lol. The Habs are done with construction of the main roster. The only thing to do is maintain a strong pipeline so you don't end up like Toronto or Tampa. I don't need to explain the necessities of this cap wise and roster substitution wise.
That’s fair, I’d say you’re probably right.
Now where I differ, by January 1st, every core member probably joining the team the following season will be between 20-23 with the expectation of Suzuki and demidov. All of their big contracts will coincide with eachother even if they're at different parts of it. To avoid the Chicago situation in the mid 2010s, they have to be smart with their cap management.

One solution is keeping a free spot on their 2nd line and treat it like a revolving door. Use TDL/trades in general to get shorter term rentals so you don't need to commit to big contracts.

Besides that, the Habs have the proper D core imo, they're high on Fowler being Price's long term successor like how he was Roy's. They have the makings of a good bottom 6 with Newhook, Roy, Beck, etc. So add a little depth every so often, keep your pipeline in tact and maintain cap flexibility.
I think you’re right, most of the core is already drafted, traded for. Development is next. I’d put it under the construction stage as we’re not fully out of it yet but we’re mostly done.
The stage I'd say they're at is development and maintenance. Construction is over imo if you already count the high end prospects as part of the existing structure
Sort of in between the two but yeah, I guess it’d be more accurate to say development stage.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
A month go, I shared the idea of not resign Evans, because he doesn't make his teamates better. His physical game is none to zero. Teams who go far in PO or win the Cup have better players than Evans. The same with Dvorak who is barely an nhler. Pezzetta is a joke. We have such a bad bottom six that players who might have some skills like Heineman ans Ylonen look worse than they really are. Having such bad centers destroys all kind of chemistry. The area to adress is including bottom six lines and it starts with legit centers. If Hughes resign Evans he is making a mistake. I rather like youngsters at that spot than proven bad vets like Evans and Dvorak, despite Evans is paid a fair/wise deal for his production.

A month ago some posters here were happy with Evans, saying he should be resign a 3 year contract and they said he was a good 4th center. It's not true, Habs are going nowhere with that mediocre kind of player. Evans deserves to play in the nhl, but for a bottom team like CLB or Yotes. Habs team and fans deserve better, we must ask for better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naslundforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad