The state of Florida braces for Hurricane Milton, Panthers still scheduled to play tonight

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It's more recognizeable when they're current for sure. But after a while, the name by date and location(s) makes more sense.

If I say "hurricane Fran" most people would probably not be able to picture anything. But if I said hurricane -cape verde- August 23rd, 1996.

You know the time and place.

It's like teaching our grandkids about ice storm 98 - north east of north America... Rather than calling it ice storm Steve.

Or take the may 2022 Canadian derecho. If it was just called derecho Bob...years later, people won't know when it happened or where or why it's called that.
To each their own, but if it was called ice storm Steve when it happened I'm sure people that were impacted/near would remember it by that name.

I'll remember Hurricane Katrina my whole life, but I didn't the date until I looked it up recently. Given there was multiple large hurricanes that year, it's easier than remembering the dates of each.

Hope all are safe and/or evacuated.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Just my anecdotal experience from 40 years of living in Florida, but gusts are infrequent. They increase in frequency as you get closer to the center, think shotgun pellets once fired. 100 miles away we'd get gusts about once every 10 minutes or so. Just before we encountered the center we had gusts like every 30 seconds.

By gusts I mean a sudden rapid increase in the wind, for Ian 100 miles away gusts could take it from calm to 30mph. Right before the eye hit gusts took us from 70mph sustained 100mph+ and were ripping fully grown oak trees out of the ground.
Yeah, the gusts are horrific. I remember sitting through hurricane Wilma. The wind gusts are extremely intense. They did the most damage. Thankfully for where I was, another hurricane that hit directly down here (Andrew) missed our area by a small margin. But that must have been hell on earth with those type of wind gusts.

Reactions: Rschmitz

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Invest in the Midwest. Population is going to have to move somewhere.
Certain midwest locations get tornadoes.
I would assume the NHL has made, or is currently making some sort of a backup plan if Tampa can't play their next X amount of home games at Amalie. Any suitable locations or will they just postpone?
TB has a 3 game homestand starting Sat. Too many games to tack onto the end of the season if there is either damage to the arena or people aren’t allowed to return to the city. They’d need to play somewhere. And close as teams would likely play the panthers while in Fla to face TB.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
People are welcome to come to Canada and wait it out. It's not cold yet and you can watch the leaves change

I'm f***ing shocked by the amount of tourism some places in Canada get just for people see the f***ing leaves.

Stay safe and hopefully your houses and personal property isn't damaged too badly, or even better not at all !

I mean, we in Canada modified the weather to target Miami for winning too many cups recently and we're going to shut your water off, eh !

So, don't do it again, OK, buddy ?

Guy, I'm not even joking this time. I'll drop you faster than a double double with a Boston Cream on a crisp January morning!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have friends (husband & wife and two young kids) who moved to Tampa from Calgary in May. I have to wonder if they are rethinking their decision.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Hurricanes are deadly along the coast, not so deadly inland but they are absolutely devastating. When Ian hit us in Lakeland, roads were inaccessible for three days just clearing debris, I had no water for a week and no power for like a month. All in the Florida heat.

News stations do a horrible job of conveying the terrifying nature of wind gusts from a hurricane, they all focus on sustained winds, but the gusts are absolutely blood curdling. You can hear them from miles away, trees in the distance snapping and car alarms going off like a train in the distance as it gets closer and closer until its on top of you, and then after a minute the intensity drops considerably. This happens wave after wave until everything gets beat to hell.

This is supposed to be worse in general. Most people probably don't evacuate to save their life, they evacuate because anywhere the eye goes over will basically be a third world country for about a month.
Yeah, you hear the wind approaching like some kind of living monster. Then it literally smacks the house and you can feel it shudder. Then the creaking and stretching noises like the house is straining at the seams....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’ve never seen a thing anything line that and I’ve lived here my whole life and have been through probably a couple dozen hurricanes.

It's pretty wild. The south side of this one has almost no rain right now. That's... just... weird.

My parents evac'd to my place in North Florida. Their house is close enough to Charlotte Harbor that they might have problems depending on how the storm surge rises. They nearly got flooded by Ian in 2022 but lucked out by just a hair from having flooding - a couple of inches more and it would've been in their house. This time though, if it's at the top of the predicted surge level they will have water in their home.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It's pretty wild. The south side of this one has almost no rain right now. That's... just... weird.

My parents evac'd to my place in North Florida. Their house is close enough to Charlotte Harbor that they might have problems depending on how the storm surge rises. They nearly got flooded by Ian in 2022 but lucked out by just a hair from having flooding - a couple of inches more and it would've been in their house. This time though, if it's at the top of the predicted surge level they will have water in their home.
Very. My brother is an hour north just on the south side, no rain either right now. We’ve had it on and off, but it has mostly been dry.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The Trop lost its roof. "Tropicana Field was being set up as a "10,000-person base camp" for debris cleanup operations as Florida prepares to recover from the storm, USA Today reported Tuesday. There were thousands of cots lined up across the entire field to house first responders who would be helping in the aftermath of the storm."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad