The state of Florida braces for Hurricane Milton, Panthers still scheduled to play tonight

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I would assume the NHL has made, or is currently making some sort of a backup plan if Tampa can't play their next X amount of home games at Amalie. Any suitable locations or will they just postpone?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It's more recognizeable when they're current for sure. But after a while, the name by date and location(s) makes more sense.

If I say "hurricane Fran" most people would probably not be able to picture anything. But if I said hurricane -cape verde- August 23rd, 1996.

You know the time and place.

It's like teaching our grandkids about ice storm 98 - north east of north America... Rather than calling it ice storm Steve.

Or take the may 2022 Canadian derecho. If it was just called derecho Bob...years later, people won't know when it happened or where or why it's called that.
To each their own, but if it was called ice storm Steve when it happened I'm sure people that were impacted/near would remember it by that name.

I'll remember Hurricane Katrina my whole life, but I didn't the date until I looked it up recently. Given there was multiple large hurricanes that year, it's easier than remembering the dates of each.

Hope all are safe and/or evacuated.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
... climate change...
Things are going to get uglier in the coming years.

I like how all the morons who were completely wrong about it have never admitted their failings, and have just moved their stupidity elsewhere. Also, how powerful world governments charged with keeping us safe don’t give a f***, that’s super cool.

Also, how we react- Katrina is still a cultural thing, but I don’t even know the name of the one that just wrecked NC. Feels like we unfortunately become callused to the disasters our collective actions (ok, the actions of the powers that be) cause.

Anywho, be safe and well, Florida friends.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Just my anecdotal experience from 40 years of living in Florida, but gusts are infrequent. They increase in frequency as you get closer to the center, think shotgun pellets once fired. 100 miles away we'd get gusts about once every 10 minutes or so. Just before we encountered the center we had gusts like every 30 seconds.

By gusts I mean a sudden rapid increase in the wind, for Ian 100 miles away gusts could take it from calm to 30mph. Right before the eye hit gusts took us from 70mph sustained 100mph+ and were ripping fully grown oak trees out of the ground.
Yeah, the gusts are horrific. I remember sitting through hurricane Wilma. The wind gusts are extremely intense. They did the most damage. Thankfully for where I was, another hurricane that hit directly down here (Andrew) missed our area by a small margin. But that must have been hell on earth with those type of wind gusts.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
... climate change...
Things are going to get uglier in the coming years.
Nope. It's a democrat weather machine causing havoc on red and swing states.
Sleepy Joe and Kamala must be stopped.

I wish we lived in days where that theory would be considered a pure joke instead of speculation by some

• Wow
Reactions: Golden_Jet

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Invest in the Midwest. Population is going to have to move somewhere.
Certain midwest locations get tornadoes.
I would assume the NHL has made, or is currently making some sort of a backup plan if Tampa can't play their next X amount of home games at Amalie. Any suitable locations or will they just postpone?
TB has a 3 game homestand starting Sat. Too many games to tack onto the end of the season if there is either damage to the arena or people aren’t allowed to return to the city. They’d need to play somewhere. And close as teams would likely play the panthers while in Fla to face TB.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
People are welcome to come to Canada and wait it out. It's not cold yet and you can watch the leaves change

I'm f***ing shocked by the amount of tourism some places in Canada get just for people see the f***ing leaves.

Stay safe and hopefully your houses and personal property isn't damaged too badly, or even better not at all !

I mean, we in Canada modified the weather to target Miami for winning too many cups recently and we're going to shut your water off, eh !

So, don't do it again, OK, buddy ?

Guy, I'm not even joking this time. I'll drop you faster than a double double with a Boston Cream on a crisp January morning!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have friends (husband & wife and two young kids) who moved to Tampa from Calgary in May. I have to wonder if they are rethinking their decision.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I like how all the morons who were completely wrong about it have never admitted their failings, and have just moved their stupidity elsewhere. Also, how powerful world governments charged with keeping us safe don’t give a f***, that’s super cool.

Also, how we react- Katrina is still a cultural thing, but I don’t even know the name of the one that just wrecked NC. Feels like we unfortunately become callused to the disasters our collective actions (ok, the actions of the powers that be) cause.

Anywho, be safe and well, Florida friends.
I shake my head, in disbelief, at those who are laughing at my post. Are they really that stupid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad