Blue Jays Discussion: The "So, How About Them Blue Jays?" Edition. [1.5 Games ahead of Yankees]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Dickey was a late bloomer. He finally got it with the Mets. He wasn't very good as a Blue Jay until Pete Walker noticed this subtle change he'd unknowingly made to his delivery when comparing video to his Cy Young season. After making the change he's been near a 3 ERA. You can throw away all those stats because they're irrelevant when trying to measure a pitcher before and after he changed how he throws the ball. That said, the age is certainly a factor. I don't expect him to sustain this for years simply because of his age... But right now, Dickey is pitching very well and you shouldn't expect much regression over the next 60-80 days. We're talking about whose going to pitch in this years playoffs and not beyond.

Oh yes, the "I watched before all you band wagon fans" ... Well, to that I'd suggest you haven't fully understood what you're watching. Maybe age is getting to you, too? These stats aren't a science. You selling them as fact when there's no denying the human element is just wrong... They may paint a rough picture for someone whose never seen it before, but saying they're more accurate then a knowledgable baseball fan watching everyday is just silly.

What? Sorry, I just don't understand that reasoning.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What? Sorry, I just don't understand that reasoning.

Dickey came up as a conventional pitcher, throwing a conventional arsenal of pitches.

After a couple of years he wasn't very good and realized his split finger pitch was close to a knuckleball and he went back to the minors to re-invent himself as a full-time knuckleballer.

He bounced around a bit before really getting the pitch when he arrived in New York.

He was saying it's not really fair to compare Dickey's stats as normal pitcher (which are more extensive than many remember) to what he's done since switching over to be a knuckleball pitcher.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Dickey came up as a conventional pitcher, throwing a conventional arsenal of pitches.

After a couple of years he wasn't very good and realized his split finger pitch was close to a knuckleball and he went back to the minors to re-invent himself as a full-time knuckleballer.

He bounced around a bit before really getting the pitch when he arrived in New York.

He was saying it's not really fair to compare Dickey's stats as normal pitcher (which are more extensive than many remember) to what he's done since switching over to be a knuckleball pitcher.

I thought he was talking about an adjustment made this season by Pete Walker.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He was. He was talking about Dickey overall in his career and Dickey this season.

He was making a couple different and separate points in the post. At least that's how I read it.

Right.

Dickey has gone through so many different phases in his career that it's tough to compare him year by year, or even expect him to average out. Everything about him and his career defies conventional wisdom.

mikebel111*

Tough loss. Would have been nice if we had Tulo leading off instead of watching Revere not come through in a clutch situation. Whatever it happens
Lets win tomorrow

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sox crew talking about Dombrowski's challenge of having to rebuild the Red Sox bullpen. All I say is that I hope he brings his Detroit luck there.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
BoSox are doing everything they can to blow the lead.

EDIT: Holy cow, what a lucky break for a DP.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
It's comforting to read a factoid like this after a tough loss. From the Boston Globe:

Josh Donaldson has driven home 41 since the break; his Red Sox counterpart at third base, Pablo Sandoval, has driven home 41 all season

So glad we acquired Donaldson rather than going the Panda route.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wow Tazawa actually did something. It's amazing how he manages to play well against everybody and then completely fold up against the Jays.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
If you don't have tickets yet. Today and Tomorrow are the only games you can get tickets for FOR the REST of the season.

Every game after Wednesday is virtually sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad