Speculation: The Second Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
People have chanted and stopped about firing Benning. You could hear it on tv during games.

I didn’t think Gillis came off as smug or arrogant. Benning literally fired anyone who didn’t agree with him. I feel that’s much more arrogant.

I agree about the bring back Gillis stuff tho, it’s not happening so it’s not worth talking about
Wouldn't every incoming GM want to bring in his own people.?.If certain staff are not on board with your vision, they should be released..That is your right, and responsibility as GM.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Wouldn't every incoming GM want to bring in his own people.?.If certain staff are not on board with your vision, they should be released..That is your right, and responsibility as GM.
If the vision is winning and you fire anyone who doesn’t agree with you and retain yes men, then it’s no wonder they are where they are.

What is the vision for trying to make the playoffs every year while spending to the cap (this is the first season they weren’t at the cap) but instead being one of the worst teams?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Do people think that Aqualini is going to hire a president while Benning is still GM? If so, who do you think the candidates are at this point?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If the vision is winning and you fire anyone who doesn’t agree with you and retain yes men, then it’s no wonder they are where they are.

What is the vision for trying to make the playoffs every year while spending to the cap (this is the first season they weren’t at the cap) but instead being one of the worst teams?
Obviously the vision is to win, and be competitive...but there's no evidence to suggest that they were making a playoff push the last two years...(they are this year though)

Two key Benning staff members..Judd Brackett (who was promoted) and Ian Clark...Do you think that they are 'yes' men.?...Who are these 'yes' men?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do people think that Aqualini is going to hire a president while Benning is still GM? If so, who do you think the candidates are at this point?
Whats the point?...He's going to let Benning run the show this season....and if it goes tits up...I'm sure he will completely clean house next season.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Obviously the vision is to win, and be competitive...but there's no evidence to suggest that they were making a playoff push the last two years...(they are this year though)

Two key Benning signings..Judd Brackett and Ian Clark...Do you think that they are 'yes' men.?...Who are these 'yes' men?
even Travis he never has been someone to kiss ass.

People sometimes forget that Green was the one driving for some quality btm 6 players. Biggest reason Benning pushed so hard for Beagle Roussel was to fill this request

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Two key Benning staff members..Judd Brackett (who was promoted) and Ian Clark...Do you think that they are 'yes' men.?...Who are these 'yes' men?
Judd Brackett looks like the only intelligent one out of all of them IMO..
All the rest need to be fired,,

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Whats the point?...He's going to let Benning run the show this season....and if it goes **** up...I'm sure he will completely clean house next season.
agree. After the Linden thing i think this is how it goes.

Have it on good authority that Benning and Linden butting heads on the direction of this team is the reason Trevor walked away.

Benning will live and die now on his belief that he has the pieces in play to start to compete. Get ready for a couple free agent signings and a big push forward. If it fails or looks bad he's gone

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
even Travis he never has been someone to kiss ass.

People sometimes forget that Green was the one driving for some quality btm 6 players. Biggest reason Benning pushed so hard for Beagle Roussel was to fill this request
I would assumed he would’ve pushed harder for some quality blueliners over bottom six forwards after the crap he inherited his rookie NHL coaching year.

Green was smart enough to realize Guds was an overpaid #6 and didn’t increase his ice time even after all the injuries on the D this past season.

member 290103

put it beside the boring over and over complaining about every little thing Benning does.

And the moronic quest for Gillis. Has any team ever re hired a GM and does Aquilini seem like the kind of person to do this?

Maybe anyone that says FA should re hire Gillis should be put on system wide ignore or banished to a thread to engage in memoirs and love for Mike Gillis

Take it somewhere else, this is boring. Enough.

Reactions: mathonwy

member 290103

On a side note, I’ve met both Burke and Gillis.

Both times I was wearing some type of Canucks gear at the airport and got into a discussion with both.

They were both very, very polite, engaging and talked shop. I obviously asked broad questions and didn’t offer my “expert” advice like I’m sure some do but both left me feeling like they were good people.

Never met Benning but he also genuinely seems like a good person, which I think needs to be pointed out despite what some of us think of his abilities.

I agree on Benning. He seems like a decent guy. He makes moves here though that would suggest he is actually an imbecile though, which is why he needs oversight. I am hoping Aqualini recognizes this soon.

Reactions: The Drop

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Honestly, I think Benning being a nice guy or decent as a human being is totally meaningless. His intelligence and ability to manage is what I care about. Oh, Benning's better liked around the league than Gillis was? Of course he is. To the BoG and everyone in Toronto, Benning's made the Canucks exactly what they want the team to be: completely irrelevant. A non-entity that doesn't matter at all to any major team's success and can be safely ignored. Every once in a while they can look over here to the west coast and say: "Oh, look. They've got a couple of prospects over there! How quaint!" and then go back to non-stop Leafs coverage for an entire year. They don't want the Canucks to matter and they don't. Benning can be safely counted on to misjudge and overspend on players, get hosed in trades, and give away assets for nothing. Why wouldn't every other team want him in charge around here?

Gillis was a threat. Benning never will be.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Weisbrod is a yes man. He fired 2 guys who critiqued his decisions and ideas.

The Canucks pro scouting is the worst it’s been since the 90s and it falls right in line with reducing your management group and the voices in the room.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Weisbrod is a yes man. He fired 2 guys who critiqued his decisions and ideas.

The Canucks pro scouting is the worst it’s been since the 90s and it falls right in line with reducing your management group and the voices in the room.
Wasn't aware of that..who did Weisbrod fire in the Canucks organization?..(bizarre to have an AGM do the firing?)

Green,Brackett and Clark are not 'yes men'

What does the Canucks pro scouting (it has been bad),have to do with what we're discussing?

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If?

Everyone can see they’re going to suck next year except for a few people and the manager of this team.
I'm interested to see what the expert predictions predictions will be at the beginning of next season..Last year they unanimously picked us to be bottom 3.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Honestly, I think Benning being a nice guy or decent as a human being is totally meaningless. His intelligence and ability to manage is what I care about. Oh, Benning's better liked around the league than Gillis was? Of course he is. To the BoG and everyone in Toronto, Benning's made the Canucks exactly what they want the team to be: completely irrelevant. A non-entity that doesn't matter at all to any major team's success and can be safely ignored. Every once in a while they can look over here to the west coast and say: "Oh, look. They've got a couple of prospects over there! How quaint!" and then go back to non-stop Leafs coverage for an entire year. They don't want the Canucks to matter and they don't. Benning can be safely counted on to misjudge and overspend on players, get hosed in trades, and give away assets for nothing. Why wouldn't every other team want him in charge around here?

Gillis was a threat. Benning never will be.
What a load of absolute nonsense...the Canucks market is huge, and having the Canucks be a relevant in the Canadian market is massive to TV ratings, and overall business.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
On a side note, I’ve met both Burke and Gillis.

Both times I was wearing some type of Canucks gear at the airport and got into a discussion with both.

They were both very, very polite, engaging and talked shop. I obviously asked broad questions and didn’t offer my “expert” advice like I’m sure some do but both left me feeling like they were good people.

Never met Benning but he also genuinely seems like a good person, which I think needs to be pointed out despite what some of us think of his abilities.
Willie D. is a nice guy. Probably the closest equivalent I can think of Mr Rogers (and I say it as a compliment rather than a slight). Problem is, he was/is a horrible NHL head coach. Scotty Bowman was a #$%@$%@#%$ according to many players that were coached by him; nevertheless, they couldn't deny he was a great coach. He isn't there to be your best friend. Probably why a guy like Larry Robinson didn't really like the position despite the success he had as a head coach.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
What a load of absolute nonsense...the Canucks market is huge, and having the Canucks be a relevant in the Canadian market is massive to TV ratings, and overall business.
It's nothing to Toronto. It's nothing to Montreal. It's nothing outside Vancouver. They can easily do without us, and they are.

You always want your competition mismanaged, and Benning is cooperating marvelously.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Willie D. is a nice guy. Probably the closest equivalent I can think of Mr Rogers (and I say it as a compliment rather than a slight). Problem is, he was/is a horrible NHL head coach. Scotty Bowman was a #$%@$%@#%$ according to many players that were coached by him; nevertheless, they couldn't deny he was a great coach. He isn't there to be your best friend. Probably why a guy like Larry Robinson didn't really like the position despite the success he had as a head coach.

Heh, no kidding right?

Willie D being nice just makes his incompetence that much more intolerable. I'll take a competent ass hat of a coach over a "nice" one any time, any day.

In the words of Rick Sanchez: Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets.

Reactions: Hit the post

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would assumed he would’ve pushed harder for some quality blueliners over bottom six forwards after the crap he inherited his rookie NHL coaching year.

Green was smart enough to realize Guds was an overpaid #6 and didn’t increase his ice time even after all the injuries on the D this past season.
Fair

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Heh, no kidding right?

Willie D being nice just makes his incompetence that much more intolerable. I'll take a competent ass hat of a coach over a "nice" one any time, any day.

In the words of Rick Sanchez: Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets.
what an awful quote

why not be smart and be nice. when you need help someone might step up rather than watch you drown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad