Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t think he plays like Nash quite frankly. I think Chytil does more than anyone.

From what I’ve seen of Kakko he reminds me a bit of Matthews and even a bit more of Malkin.

If he’s even close to either of those guys we have the best drafted forward we’ve had in a lifetime

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Which he can be. Kakko can absolutely develop into a franchise quality player that you can build around. Him and Hughes both have that potential.

At the risk of putting pressure on Kakko, he kind of has to be that franchise quality player. Obviously it's helpful if he isn't the only one, and if the other talent lives up to their potential. But Kakko hitting the franchise level goes a long way to helping the Rangers' long-term success.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
At the risk of putting pressure on Kakko, he kind of has to be that franchise quality player. Obviously it's helpful if he isn't the only one, and if the other talent lives up to their potential. But Kakko hitting the franchise level goes a long way to helping the Rangers' long-term success.

From what you know about Kakko, do you believe he has that kind of potential?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At the end of the day, if you went off the record and asked Columbus and New York management if they were at least somewhat disappointed in Rick Nash, you'd probably get a lot of affirmations.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think his ceiling is definitely in the franchise player territory.

Do I think he'll be one of the top 5 players in the game? No.

Do I think he has a shot to be a guy who an offense is built around? Yes.
Aside from his offensive capabilities, which we have both mentioned as being fully capable into developing to a franchise player level, Kakko also is a complete player. He's very physical on both ends and plays more than competent defense, as well. Obviously we're drafting him due to his offensive potential, but his game does not solely exist in that portion of the game.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think his ceiling is definitely in the franchise player territory.

Do I think he'll be one of the top 5 players in the game? No.

Do I think he has a shot to be a guy who an offense is built around? Yes.

Maybe top3 winger in the game if all goes well?
Pasta/Marner level but bigger.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is Kravtsov really rated THAT highly??

Rangers took a slight gamble in drafting him last year that may very well pay off.

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872

upload_2019-4-16_16-23-1.png

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That’s in large part thanks to Columbus

Somewhat.

I remember even in the OHL, Nash's coaches would talk about him not fully grasping just how good he could be, or how his talent really set him apart and meant that he couldn't just be a face in the crowd.

The basic narrative surrounding Rick Nash has more or less followed him since he was teenager.

Again, none of this makes him a bad a player. But it does paint a picture of a guy who, as time moves on, won't be mentioned in conversations focused on the best of the best of his generation.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
The thing that’s special about Kakko is...everything, really. Nash produced excellent numbers goal scoring wise, but he was never really a “well rounded” offensive player.

Despite Kakko’s splits in Liiga, I think you’d find that many of the people who watched him play regularly would call him a “pass first” type of player, although he certainly got more selfish in the second half of the season. Which is good.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Have we ever had a really prominent Finnish player? Not in terms of name like Kurri, but impact as a Ranger. I guess Reijo Ruotsalainen? Was before my time, wasn't sure how impactful he was, but just checked out his numbers, very impressive. Anyone else?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Have we ever had a really prominent Finnish player? Not in terms of name like Kurri, but impact as a Ranger. I guess Reijo Ruotsalainen? Was before my time, wasn't sure how impactful he was, but just checked out his numbers, very impressive. Anyone else?
That’s about it really, aside from Esa.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

That's great. Looking forward to having a potential franchise player on Broadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad