The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I know your post wasn't serious, but it got me thinking. If you took each player and evaluated them by their absolute best season, I think the playoffs would be a possibility.

If you look at the players at their current age and playing level, this is the D

Montour
Faulk
McCabe
Borgen
Ristolainen
C. Miller
Bogosian
Scandela

I don't think you sniff a wildcard spot with that group in the Atlantic.
The painfully obvious point I was making is that this team has (through it's own incompetence and stupidity) churned through an insane number of players who have gone on to great success elsewhere. The only other organization I can recall squandering that volume and level of talent is another all time laughingstock: The Milbury Error Islanders.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The painfully obvious point I was making is that this team has (through it's own incompetence and stupidity) churned through an insane number of players who have gone on to great success elsewhere. The only other organization I can recall squandering that volume and level of talent is another all time laughingstock: The Milbury Error Islanders.

unfortunately it is what should be expected when you turn over your coach every two years and your front office every 3.

At least recently the circumstances regarding most of the moves and the value returned given those circumstances have not been that high on the "stupidity" scale. (Sam for Kulich and Levi. A broken Eichel for Tuch, Ostlund and whatever Krebs turns out to be - Although that Savoie trade may break that premise in a big way, we will have to wait and see. )

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Bill Zito interviewed for the GM position here and Pegs passed. Sigh
He also interviewed with Carolina, NJ, Minnesota x2, Philly and Edmonton. Pegula and his team passed on him for Botterill, what is your point?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Boeser bounced back because they hired the perfect coach to jolt his career back. If we traded for him who knows if he spirals worse.
I think it was more just a unsustainable streak with Boeser this season.

He has a career shooting% of 13.8%

The first 60% of the season he was shooting at nearly 29%

The last 40% of the season, he was shooting back at his normal 14% and he was pacing for 53 points while still being a defensive liability, and many Canucks fans were trying to move him again.

He had a hell of a run to start 2023-24 playing with Pettersson, Miller and Hughes on the PP, but I feel strongly that the Sabres would have gotten the "50pt, defensively challenged" version of Boeser had Adams made that deal. And you may be right, it may have been even worse without having Tocchet getting the most out of him in Buffalo,

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He also interviewed with Carolina, NJ, Minnesota x2, Philly and Edmonton. Pegula and his team passed on him for Botterill, what is your point?
I think the point is Pegula passed on hiring a guy who went on to build a cup winning powerhouse to instead hire a guy who would be high on any list of worst GM's of the past 25 years and it's a great example of why we are a historically bad laughingstock under his incompetent ownership.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think the point is Pegula passed on hiring a guy who went on to build a cup winning powerhouse to instead hire a guy who would be high on any list of worst GM's of the past 25 years and it's a great example of why we are a historically bad laughingstock under his incompetent ownership.
But you can't predict at that time an ex agent would be better than one of the top young candidates. To correlate that Zito would have been as successful or successful here is irresponsible.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
You know what his point is
His point is that Pegula had sole control and messed it up. When in actuality a bunch of teams passed on the risky candidate, one team twice, that have ideal team structures and still came to the same conclusion. It's a total crapshoot and shouldn't have a singular failure pointing

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I doubt Bill Zito would have built a winner here with meddling ownership.

And I feel like Buffalo would not be near the top of his list to accept for the same reason.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You mean you don't know the point of people posting on message board?

See post 7635 for your answer. Amazing how you couldn't grasp that.

But you can't predict at that time an ex agent would be better than one of the top young candidates. To correlate that Zito would have been as successful or successful here is irresponsible.
At the time Bill Zito was being touted as an up and coming great mind for GM.

You don't know what you are talking about

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You know what his point is
On top of that every GM and coach hired here has yet to get another shot somewhere else at the same level.

It's pathetic the guys this team hires

I doubt Bill Zito would have built a winner here with meddling ownership.

And I feel like Buffalo would not be near the top of his list to accept for the same reason.
It was 2017 and Zito would have accepted as he never was a GM before but to your first point we will never know but there is a good chance you are right which just means this team is doomed until Pegula is gone.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Pegula does have an awful, awful track record of hires with this franchise since buying it. At least he got Beane (and debatably McD) right with the Bills.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
On top of that every GM and coach hired here has yet to get another shot somewhere else at the same level.

It's pathetic the guys this team hires

It was 2017 and Zito would have accepted as he never was a GM before but to your first point we will never know but there is a good chance you are right which just means this team is doomed until Pegula is gone.
Isn’t Blysma with Seattle as coach?

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Pegula does have an awful, awful track record of hires with this franchise since buying it. At least he got Beane (and debatably McD) right with the Bills.
I believe McDermott was brought in by a consulting firm hired by Pegula to do the head coaching search after the Rex Ryan debacle. And McDermott brought in Beane. I don’t think it’s a huge coincidence that the couple of hires that have worked out Pegula had limited involvement with.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
You mean you don't know the point of people posting on message board?

See post 7635 for your answer. Amazing how you couldn't grasp that.

At the time Bill Zito was being touted as an up and coming great mind for GM.

You don't know what you are talking about
I don't understand how you can walk into the point and still continue down your path ...

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't understand how you can walk into the point and still continue down your path ...
What does that have to do with this thread?

Are you mad cause of your Laine post?

You had like 5 people answer you about the point of my Zito post but you wanna keep it going.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
What does that have to do with this thread?

Are you mad cause of your Laine post?

You had like 5 people answer you about the point of my Zito post but you wanna keep it going.
Where you had retention and return backwards? The "wut" comment was in jest.

The whole purpose of the rebuttal is that you and the group responding are blaming Pegula for not hiring Zito when there were a bunch of teams that interviewed, once even interviewed twice, and didn't hire him. Botts hit the market and was a traditional hockey guy that was sought after. That is who Pegula and his advisors hired. We can equate what Zito did in Florida to what he would have done here and vice versa for Botts. It's tiring to have to keep spelling this out but I'll try one last time "You can't hold it over Pegula's head that they didn't hire a guy with some risk after coming out of the Murray regime".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, it’s fascinating to go over this whole Terry Pegula hiring staff thing for the 831st time, there is an entire thread just about stuff for Terry and the family.

This is the roster thread. Talk about the roster. Talk about what you would like to see on the roster. Talk about who’s playing well and on what line or who’s playing poorly and on what line. This is not the place to talk about Terry. Period.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Re Boeser - others pointed out why he would've been a risky trade target. The point is that there are players around with talent that can be traded for without giving up the farm. The argument is that Buffalo can't attract top FA targets so they have to go the trade route. If that's true - and likely is - that means a Buffalo GM has to take some chances on guys. It's not an easy task. The argument that I countered said there aren't good players available in a reasonable trade. There are, but it's a matter of being shrewd and taking some risk.

I'm not even a fan of making big trades, just pointing out that they are indeed possible without huge price tags.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Re Boeser - others pointed out why he would've been a risky trade target. The point is that there are players around with talent that can be traded for without giving up the farm. The argument is that Buffalo can't attract top FA targets so they have to go the trade route. If that's true - and likely is - that means a Buffalo GM has to take some chances on guys. It's not an easy task. The argument that I countered said there aren't good players available in a reasonable trade. There are, but it's a matter of being shrewd and taking some risk.

I'm not even a fan of making big trades, just pointing out that they are indeed possible without huge price tags.
It all depends on how much risk a GM is willing to take.

Laine is your perfect example right now. And it seems like no NHL GM is willing to take that risk given what Waddell wants in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad