The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Looking to the now, there is a lot of arguing in here that feels inconsequential to the current roster for the upcoming season.

I believe that Adams has done some great work to improve the bottom 6 forward group. I see guys like NAK, Lafferty and Malenstyn as huge adds. I'm hoping that their tenacity along with McLeod's effort on will wake up the teammates who sometimes look like they're sleepwalking through the season when the winning goes away.

However, the top players on this team must rebound. Cozens, Tage, Power, and to an extent Dahlin, CANNOT have repeats of last season. Sammy, Quinn and Tuch need to remain healthy through the season. It's time for JJ and Quinn to become those top line forwards and be seen in that Guentzel, Nylander, Connor tier; I fully believe Quinn is capable of being on that top line, but I want to see him force his way there, and not due to Tuch's health.

If things fire on all cylinders, and its about time they do, I truly believe this team can do some serious damage in this league. I think this season will show us who these players are.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Skinner had probably reached his expiration date but I’m not convinced they’ll replace his goals this year. Maybe they’ll be that much better on D that they don’t have to worry about it but ya gotta score goals to win games
I think a healthy Quinn replaces that.I also think Peterka and Benson take another step forward.Lastly Tompson healthy and Cozens gets his head out of his ass will help greatly.Not worried about goals to be honest.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I think a healthy Quinn replaces that.I also think Peterka and Benson take another step forward.Lastly Tompson healthy and Cozens gets his head out of his ass will help greatly.Not worried about goals to be honest.
I’m interpreting this as they’re combining to replace his scoring, which is certainly possible, but we learned just last year how just expecting players to maintain or take a step forward can blow up in one’s face. For example, if Peterka and Benson are combining for 55-60 goals I’m dancing in the street but that’s clearly a *best* case scenario

Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I’m interpreting this as they’re combining to replace his scoring, which is certainly possible, but we learned just last year how just expecting players to maintain or take a step forward can blow up in one’s face. For example, if Peterka and Benson are combining for 55-60 goals I’m dancing in the street but that’s clearly a *best* case scenario
Yeah Peterka put up 28, I don't think he's super likely to take a significant step forward.

But Skinner didn't have such a huge year that will make it hard to replace if we're looking at it purely from last year to next year.

If we look at main even strength scoring going out and coming in it's not a huge step back. "in" stat is 2 year average while "out" stat is just last year.
1723079374111.png

Uh-oh, the non-playoff team took a step back in scoring?

Well, this doesn't consider
  • the 40-50 extra games we'll (hopefully) get from quinn
  • the fact that Girgs, Mitts, and Okposo each missed 20 games which means we didn't even get full seasons of those fairly respectable rates. (we got 90 games of jost and robinson)
  • Krebs playing 80 games, who very well could be considered in the "out" group
  • "in" group should be better defensively
  • Mitts was traded for Byram who should boost scoring across the board

Last edited:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Yeah Peterka put up 28, I don't think he's super likely to take a significant step forward.

But Skinner didn't have such a huge year that will make it hard to replace if we're looking at it purely from last year to next year.

If we look at main even strength scoring going out and coming in it's not a huge step back. "in" stat is 2 year average while "out" stat is just last year.
View attachment 899723

This doesn't even consider the 40-50 extra games we'll (hopefully) get from quinn, or the fact that Girgs, Mitts, and Okposo each missed 20 games which means we didn't even get full seasons of those fairly respectable rates. Also doesn't consider Krebs playing 80 games, who very well could be considered in the "out" group if he's in the press box, which would swing the averages in favor of the "in" group.
Would be nice to have a D not named Dahlin put up double digit goals next year as well.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Things I hope to see this season: Bottom six additions doing useful things late in the 3rd, giving 6k the opportunity to try for a goal when the other net is empty. Then I'll be happy.

• Haha
Reactions: Diaspora

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Jordan Greenway says hello
He didnt turn much of the needle last season.
He is a solid bottom 6 forward and scored 4 goals.
More of an offseason add but not what you add at the deadline if you want to push for the playoffs (including AHL Stillman)

Last edited:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Team will score more despite losing Skinner. There will be a bounce back in some of the top players. Zucker could potentially replace a large amount of Skinners goals.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Byram is more likely to score 20 than 9 imo. His offense is flying way under the radar. He has one of the best shot packages on the team.
If he is not on PP1 he is not gonna score that much probably.
It depends on how his ice time will be allocated under Ruff versus Power.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
How do you quantify a more cohesive, vibrant top line, and to a lesser extent throughout the lineup? That number seems to be missing from the Skinner equation.

Reactions: joshjull

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If he is not on PP1 he is not gonna score that much probably.
It depends on how his ice time will be allocated under Ruff versus Power.
Byram had 11 EV goals last season between Colorado and Buffalo.

And he has averaged 11 EV goals per 82 games played in his NHL career and 13 goals total per 82.

20 goals total would be quite a jump up in production. I am more concerned with Byram staying healthy.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No. No. Skinner needed to be bought out because he was a detriment to this team.

Yeah, replaced by a 32-year-old beyond-middling player whose possession stats are nothing special and whose scoring is negligible for a top-six. How they are paying Jason Zucker $5 M is a mystery only tolerable because it's a one-year deal. The guy is getting 50% more than he would on 90% of teams in the league. And he's a top 6? In what fantasy? The Sabres's best chance at success is continuing goalie improvement and rookie or kid steps into the top 6. It might happen but everyone around the league thinks the roster is a mess and they are mostly right. I'm praying for some breakthroughs or guys like Quinn get to another level.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Skinner had probably reached his expiration date but I’m not convinced they’ll replace his goals this year. Maybe they’ll be that much better on D that they don’t have to worry about it but ya gotta score goals to win games
They ranked 23rd in scoring, and now have to make up 24 goals (and another 14 for another guy that also created scoring chances). Guys can bounce back and make up for Skinner, but how about being better than mediocre for team scoring? Seems necessary for a team with the youngest D-corps that hasn't figured out team defense yet.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Byram had 11 EV goals last season between Colorado and Buffalo.

And he has averaged 11 EV goals per 82 games played in his NHL career and 13 goals total per 82.

20 goals total would be quite a jump up in production. I am more concerned with Byram staying healthy.

View attachment 899776
Me too, I hope his last season numbers are an indication his injury woes are behind him.

Ad

Ad

Ad